Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where did you buy your Reds hat?

Re: Where did you buy your Reds hat?

Cooperstown Collection and MLB website.

There was this great place in Georgia that sold tons of hats and had great sales.....but then all of a sudden they quit selling MLB hats. I think something happened that forced them out of it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I always buy New Era 5950 and I always like to try it on and look at the embroidery and the way the cap looks and fits before I purchase. Nothing looks, lasts, or fits the same. Simply the best, in my opinion.

Roman Pro cap company was one that I would frequently buy caps from before they closed. They were very high quality and supplied the embroidery for some major league teams. Here is an article about them. KM cap company was also very good, and supplied most every major league team at one time.

http://ballcapblog.blogspot.com/2010...p-company.html

American Needle does nice embroidery but their caps have a bit of a funky shape, in my opinion. I have a few, but the shape of the crown is a bit bulky looking and I don't particularly care for them.
    Last edited by RollyInRaleigh; 08-04-2013 at 02:25 PM.

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    I go back and forth between a few Reds hats. One is adjustable, the other 2 are fitted. For some reason I've worn the adjustable one the most, and it shows. It's the 47 Brand bullpen home cap.

My favorite (and most recent) is the "Cooperstown" fitted cap. I wore it to the two Oakland games, and got a few questions about it.

Dude...love this hat. I buy ALL my hats from GABP. I live right in the middle of Cards country in Indiana, so not much Reds stuff available. I make it to Cincy, 3 hrs away, at least once a year. I will buy 2-3 hats each time I go.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    So, as you can see in my avatar, I just purchased a new fitted Reds hat. I bought it from '47 Brand and I am awfully fond of it. As a result, I've recently become rather addicted to the style (I also bought a "sandlot" Reds hat, a Bengals hat, an Expos hat and a Canadiens hat in similar styles).

I bought my reds and bruins hat on my last us trip, bruins hat at a fanshop in boston and reds hat in new york (so I had the perfect gear to wear at citi field, Reds @ Mets )

I wear it very often, but I doubt that everyone (who doesn´t know me) knows that it is a baseball cap from a professional team => that´s germany, but you´ll see a lot ny yankees caps

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    I always buy New Era 5150 and I always like to try it on and look at the embroidery and the way the cap looks and fits before I purchase. Nothing looks, lasts, or fits the same. Simply the best, in my opinion.

Roman Pro cap company was one that I would frequently buy caps from before they closed. They were very high quality and supplied the embroidery for some major league teams. Here is an article about them. KM cap company was also very good, and supplied most every major league team at one time.

http://ballcapblog.blogspot.com/2010...p-company.html

American Needle does nice embroidery but their caps have a bit of a funky shape, in my opinion. I have a few, but the shape of the crown is a bit bulky looking and I don't particularly care for them.
    5150? Is that a New Era model number? I know it's police radio code for "mentally unstable person on the loose", i.e., "escaped lunatic".

All of my caps are New Era 59Fifty pro model caps. I have six that are "retired" and hung in the rec room as decorations, and four that are still in active rotation.

Retired
    1992 all-red cap (cap worn in 70's, 80's, and early 90's, and road cap through 1998)
    1993 white pinstripe cap w/red bill (home cap, 1993-98)
    1999 red cap w/black bill (home cap, 1999-2006, current road cap)
    1999 black cap with red bill (road cap, 1999-2006)
    1999 all-red cap (alt. home cap, 1999-2006, current home cap)
    2007 all-red cap (current home cap)

Active
    2007 red cap w/black bill (current road cap)
    2006 black cap w/red bill (former road cap)
    2010 Stars & Stripes cap, white w/red bill (resembles home cap from late 50's; worn only on special occasions)
    2006 Team USA WBC cap, all-blue
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

dp
    Last edited by RollyInRaleigh; 08-04-2013 at 02:31 PM.

Sorry, that 5150 was a typo. 5950. I have a lot of caps. Many Reds caps from the Cooperstown collection, a lot of them are Roman Pro with leather sweatbands. Have several New Era caps from the 70's and 80's with the leather sweat bands, as well. Quite a few teams used the leather bands for a long time. A lot of the older caps had a thin white "reeding" around the sweatband.

9. Likes:

RedEye (08-04-2013)

Kochs Sporting Goods always has a great selection of caps. Many of my older caps with leather sweatbands were purchased there.

11. Likes:

RedEye (08-04-2013)

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

I've got a mix of just about every one described here. Mrs. BluegrassRedleg is going to kill me if I continue to add to the collection. My current favorite is a New Era fitted model that has a grey top, red wishbone C and red bill. I'd love to see the Reds have a uni combo that incorporates it.

I like the 47 Brand stuff, too, but I frequently find them to be too small/low profile for my head shape. Even the XL can be snug at times.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

13. Likes:

RedEye (08-04-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Im the opposite, I have a huge head so its hard to find a hat to fit.
    I have the same problem, but the '47 brand XL and XXL work well for me (one a bit tight, the other a bit loose). I also found a pretty good hat stretcher online. It works pretty well if you use a bit of water and steam to gradually stretch the hat. I turned my Expos hat into a 1/2 larger size with this method.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

15. Likes:

George Anderson (08-04-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    Sorry, that 5150 was a typo. 5950.
    I figured. I was just busting your chops a little!
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I have the same problem, but the '47 brand XL and XXL work well for me (one a bit tight, the other a bit loose). I also found a pretty good hat stretcher online. It works pretty well if you use a bit of water and steam to gradually stretch the hat. I turned my Expos hat into a 1/2 larger size with this method.
    Never have heard of that. I'm always really careful after mine get wet (or if I wear it to a game where I sweat a lot) to manually tug at the sides and make sure it doesn't "draw up." The authentic ones will gradually do that over time.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

18. Likes:

RedEye (08-05-2013)

To OP, I have a 59fifty black with the red bill that I've had for 4-5 years (still looks great), and this year I bought the 47 just like yours. I wear the 47 the most. I would like to get the red legs bp hat, and one of the white Independence Day hats.

20. Likes:

RedEye (08-05-2013)

Got mine from Amazon. Best price for good quality. It's the traditional wishbone C cap too. That's what I wanted.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Reds Fan Since 1971

22. Likes:

RedEye (08-05-2013)

My current Reds hat is the Cooperstown Collection replica 1932 cap. I came across it last year when we were doing the number countdown to Opening Day and I started looking for photos of the team when they first put names on the jerseys and saw this cap for that year. They used it just two seasons. It has a very modern look compared to others, although modern really is likely just a bit of Art Deco, IMO. I rarely tell my wife specific gifts for my birthday (which is in December), but I told her I wanted this last year, months before. I absolutely love this hat!

My previous hat I bought at the fan store in Tri-County Mall which has a very good collection. It is the 1955 hat and it got a lot of conversation because far too many Reds fans assumed it was a Cubs hat (excuse me, wrong color & that's a wishbone C!). I even had a guy at the door of a Chicago area bar give me guff saying they didn't let Cubs fans in. We were going in to watch the play-off game and I showed him the label and told him I wouldn't be caught dead in a Cubs hat.

I knew it was a 1950's era, but when I got home and looked at it more closely, I saw it was the 1955 hat which made it sweeter. Unintentionally, I'd bought the cap from my first season that followed my December birthdate.

Last edited by redsmetz; 08-05-2013 at 09:42 AM.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

24. Likes:

KittyDuran (08-05-2013),RedEye (08-05-2013)

Turn Off Ads?