Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why is Zach Duke not on the team?

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Why is Zach Duke not on the team?

What am I missing here? Jocketty not impressed with Duke's 0.98 ERA and 18Ks in 19 innings at Louisville? He'd rather call up guys like Pedro Villarreal who are rocking 5+ ERAs at Louisville?

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats...pbp&pid=435043

Duke needs to be called up yesterday. I don't want to hear about any "40-man roster" nonsense. No one cares if we lose Pedro Villarreal. How about construct the best 25-man roster possible.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Why is Zach Duke not on the team?

No doubt that Walt has treated the 40 man roster with a degree of head scratching bewilderment. Afraid to lose fringe players in order to bring in better players? Lutz was the better option because he was on the 40 man?
    There were better options than Lutz, without having to take him off the 40 man....like Pedro or Lotzkar.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    What am I missing here? Jocketty not impressed with Duke's 0.98 ERA and 18Ks in 19 innings at Louisville? He'd rather call up guys like Pedro Villarreal who are rocking 5+ ERAs at Louisville?

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats...pbp&pid=435043

Duke needs to be called up yesterday. I don't want to hear about any "40-man roster" nonsense. No one cares if we lose Pedro Villarreal. How about construct the best 25-man roster possible.
    Duke opted out. He is no longer in the Reds' organization.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Duke opted out. He is no longer in the Reds' organization.
    That was soooooo stupid on the Reds part to allow that to happen. We keep awful players on our 40-man but let Duke go? Reds definitely should have called him up before he could opt out. I don't get it. Walt is pretty lazy most of the time. There's no way to sugarcoat it.

Thx for the info.

Once you get down to asking questions like the one in the OP, you've got to begin to worry about your chances this season.

7. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (08-05-2013),Big Klu (08-04-2013),Blitz Dorsey (08-04-2013),HokieRed (08-04-2013),OnBaseMachine (08-05-2013),redsfan1995 (08-04-2013),RedsManRick (08-04-2013),remdog (08-04-2013)

This was a 2 day call-up. Duke gets the call and goes down when Broxton gets back, he needs to be waived anyway. Villareal can be optioned and is more likely capable fo going multiple innings to serve his primary purpose which is to keep from burning Lecure, Hoover, etc in a blow-out loss. Does it really matter who is pitching when they aren't going to be used unless the team is 7 or 8 runs behind? Bring-up Duke he goes an inning and you still need to burn Hoover or Lecure to finish the game. Villareal is in there until the last out no matter how he struggles and then goes to meet the bats for their next game.

The Reds have 4 guys on the DL and when a fresh arm was needed, they had to go to their 17th option for the big league roster. If it's a prospect not on the 40 man, they get added and burn an option when they are sent back down. That makes no sense. So it needs to be a journeyman capable of going 2 or 3 innings where options don't matter or a guy who already burnt an option when he was sent down after spring training. I wish the Reds had better guys on the 40 man roster, but this is the least of the Reds problems right now.

If they need an actual spot for somebody of importance, I'm sure Villareal is on the list with Lotzkar and Ravin as expendable names. One will need to go when Ludwick comes back I'd think (or Cueto could go on the 60 day DL).
    Last edited by mth123; 08-04-2013 at 03:49 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

9. Likes:

Blitz Dorsey (08-04-2013)

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

That was soooooo stupid on the Reds part to allow that to happen. We keep awful players on our 40-man but let Duke go? Reds definitely should have called him up before he could opt out. I don't get it. Walt is pretty lazy most of the time. There's no way to sugarcoat it.
    I completely agree. He's not proactive. And he gets pretty much of a pass around these parts.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Duke was terrible with the Nationals. I would say if was with the Reds he would be just as terrible. They didn't miss anything with him not being on the team.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

12. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (08-05-2013),marcshoe (08-04-2013)

Thx for the info.
    Wow. I agree. I can not believe the Reds let Duke out, and brought up Villereal. Why not bring up Duke and keep him up as your 2nd lefty, especially with Marshall is serious limbo. That is a real head scratcher.

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    Wow. I agree. I can not believe the Reds let Duke out, and brought up Villereal. Why not bring up Duke and keep him up as your 2nd lefty, especially with Marshall is serious limbo. That is a real head scratcher.
    I have no legitimate answer. I don't think anyone does. Walt is just lazy, IMO. I used to wonder how an intelligent group of baseball fans like the Cardinals could criticize Walt. It's a mystery no longer. He's lazy. He'll win some trades (like the Latos trade -- by far his highlight of his Reds' tenure) but overall he's a lazy GM, IMO. How else could one explain the handling of our 40-man roster this year? Let's not risk losing bad players in order to have the best 25-man roster possible!
    Last edited by Blitz Dorsey; 08-04-2013 at 07:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Does it really matter who is pitching when they aren't going to be used unless the team is 7 or 8 runs behind?
    Hey!, I'll volenteer! pay me by the pitch or out. Somebody is bound to hit a line-drive at someone!

OK, so I'm 66 y.o. but I can still hit a 120 tennis serves on back to back days without my arm falling off (pretty similar motion to throwing a pitch) Even can blow one by women and kids, occasionally. Cut me after two days or see if I clear waviers----no hard feelings, Reds.

Rem
    "For Reds fans, by Reds fans" Learn it, love it, live it.

Our GM didn't want to disrupt his nap schedule?

Seriously, I have no legitimate answer. I don't think anyone does. Walt is just lazy. I used to wonder how an intelligent group of baseball fans like the Cardinals could criticize Walt. It's a mystery no longer. He's lazy. He'll win some trades (like the Latos trade -- by far his highlight of his Reds' tenure) but overall he's a lazy GM, IMO. How else could one explain the handling of our 40-man roster this year? Let's not risk losing bad players in order to have the best 25-man roster possible!
    Get off your soap box already, it is nauseating and brings nothing to the discussion to try to disparage the GM of the Reds
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

17. Likes:

Big Klu (08-04-2013),dubc47834 (08-04-2013),HeatherC1212 (08-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by bubbachunk View Post
    Get off your soap box already, it is nauseating and brings nothing to the discussion to try to disparage the GM of the Reds
    Yes, I'm sure intelligent baseball fans like Cardinal fans criticized Jocketty for no reason. Now we are seeing why. You call it a soapbox, I call it reality. Do tell, besides the Latos trade, what has Jocketty done well? He inherited Votto, Bruce, Phillips, Bailey, Cueto, Arroyo, etc.

Thx for the info.
    Have you seen Duke pitch for other teams? He was awful. Don't let 19 innings in the minors blind you from that. Greg Reynolds has also put up huge numbers in the minors this year for the Reds. People on here were calling for him to make the spot starts for the Reds. When he was called up he looked just like he did with Colorado.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...dukeza01.shtml

Yes, I'm sure intelligent baseball fans like Cardinal fans criticized Jocketty for no reason. Now we are seeing why. You call it a soapbox, I call it reality. Do tell, besides the Latos trade, what has Jocketty done well? He inherited Votto, Bruce, Phillips, Bailey, Cueto, Arroyo, etc.
    Keep in mind that all of Votto, Bruce, Phillips and Cueto are now locked up on long term deals and will be the core of this team for years to come. The credit for that unlikely accomplishment goes to Walt. He's also stood pat on dealing Bailey when a large number of posters here would've had him traded for a guy that hasn't played for two years now. Leake was drafted and Latos acquired under his watch.The decision between Mesoraco and Grandal is also looking pretty good right now. Chapman was also a pretty nice signing. The pen has been a top priority for Walt as well and it has shown. If I had to fault him for something it would be for a few questionable bench signings that have in no way crippled the Reds in any season or for the future.

I also think that those intelligent Cardinal fans liked the way the Reds were doing things a lot better during the period of time before Walt was brought in. But that's just a guess.

Turn Off Ads?