You are correct. My bad, thanks for the 'catch'. Can you imagine how interesting it would have been to have him (as GM) and 'Trader Jack' McKeon (as manager)? LOL, Reds would have been getting rebates on milage from airlines for years just so the airline could get their 'trade business'.
"For Reds fans, by Reds fans" Learn it, love it, live it.
"Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."
Jim Bowden was like this as well.....but mainly with the bench, as I remember. He did not wait too long for someone to produce.
I would not mind a little more flexibility for the bench in regards to bringing people up. Felix Perez would have been a better option that Lutz ...even Phipps would have been. Not because those 2 are great but they would have helped more than Lutz did or probably even Robinson.
1. Not a fan of Villareal, but Zack Duke was awful with the Nats in a similar deal we were going to use him for.
2. Walt is called lazy...but dumpster dove for Manny Parra who has been very useful in the absence of Sean Marshall...and Parra is performing the exact same role you bemoan Zach Duke for.
Personally, I don't get the Walt negativity. He gets us more players that produce than he does bad players that don't produce.
- Ludwick for peanuts last year
- Latos for a bunch of stuff that hasn't done squat in San Diego
- Sean Marshall who was a stud last year...Travis Wood is having a very good year this season
- Rolen for Encarnion and a never used Stewart
- Choo for Didi Gregorius (whose OPS is falling every month)
- Xavier Paul has been a good LH bat the past 1.5 years for peanuts
- Aroldis Chapman was signed on his watch
- Mike Leake was drafted on his watch
- Broxton was traded for 2 guys still in minors..I'll grant the 3 year contract after the fact wasn't a great idea.
- Signed Madsen for 1 year and he never pitched due to injury in spring
- Basically chose Mesarocco over Grandal in the Latos deal...looks like he may have made the right choice in those catchers
- Extended Dusty Baker which may be his worst choice...haha
Not done a bad job by supplementing the current roster he inherited by my judgement.
To sum up:
Cueto is fat, Jocketty is lazy, Griffey Jr. was both fat and lazy, and Zach Duke is what this team is really missing.
"I can make all the stadiums rock."
I actually think Walt has done a really nice job improving the club. I like the fact he has not completely sold the farm in the name of marginal improvements. One weak area has been the use or at times lack thereof of the DL (see Marshall at the start of the season as an example) and an unwillingness to move some flotsam off the 40 man in order to bring up a potentially more helpful player. While I don't see Duke as a savior I would rather the Reds have kept up Reynolds over Ondrusek and brought up Duke for Partch. when you arguing over th 25th guy or the 12th man out of the pen, it is probably an off day in a not so bad season.
Lol. Walt is lazy. Saying Walt is lazy is lazy.
Maybe Zach Duke just isn't very good at baseball?