Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why is Zach Duke not on the team?

Re: Why is Zach Duke not on the team?

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    The guy you are describing is Dick (Trader) Lane. You know, trade the Home run leader from the previous season (Rocky Colovito) for the Batting Average Leader the previous season (Harvy Kuehn)). However, unfortunately, he's dead.

Rem
    I think you mean Frank Lane, a.k.a. "Frantic" Frank.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

2. Turn Off Ads?

You are correct. My bad, thanks for the 'catch'. Can you imagine how interesting it would have been to have him (as GM) and 'Trader Jack' McKeon (as manager)? LOL, Reds would have been getting rebates on milage from airlines for years just so the airline could get their 'trade business'.

Rem
    "For Reds fans, by Reds fans" Learn it, love it, live it.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Frankly, I would just love to see an alternate universe version of the Reds where the GM had a hair trigger just like the "fans" want, where trades were made spur of the moment to fill the latest desperate situation, players were called up and waived without any regard to options or 40-man roster manipulation, and managers and coaches were hired and fired more often than George Jetson. The status of the team would no doubt be an unmitigated train wreck, but by god, heads would roll!
    Doesn't sound completely unlike the Krivsky administration.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Zach Duke is terrible. Why is there a thread about him?
    Manny Parra is terrible. Why are there thread about him?

Oh wait. Could it be that Parra and Duke have found their best possible roles?

6. Likes:

Blitz Dorsey (08-05-2013)

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post

Based purely on 18 innings of AAA pitching?

Where he wasn't THAT good.

Sure, Duke may have come up and pitched ok. But let's not act like it was a slam dunk that clearly showcases incompetence by Walt Jocketty.

8. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (08-05-2013)

Jim Bowden was like this as well.....but mainly with the bench, as I remember. He did not wait too long for someone to produce.

I would not mind a little more flexibility for the bench in regards to bringing people up. Felix Perez would have been a better option that Lutz ...even Phipps would have been. Not because those 2 are great but they would have helped more than Lutz did or probably even Robinson.

1. Not a fan of Villareal, but Zack Duke was awful with the Nats in a similar deal we were going to use him for.
    2. Walt is called lazy...but dumpster dove for Manny Parra who has been very useful in the absence of Sean Marshall...and Parra is performing the exact same role you bemoan Zach Duke for.

Personally, I don't get the Walt negativity. He gets us more players that produce than he does bad players that don't produce.

- Ludwick for peanuts last year
    - Latos for a bunch of stuff that hasn't done squat in San Diego
    - Sean Marshall who was a stud last year...Travis Wood is having a very good year this season
    - Rolen for Encarnion and a never used Stewart
    - Choo for Didi Gregorius (whose OPS is falling every month)
    - Xavier Paul has been a good LH bat the past 1.5 years for peanuts
    - Aroldis Chapman was signed on his watch
    - Mike Leake was drafted on his watch
    - Broxton was traded for 2 guys still in minors..I'll grant the 3 year contract after the fact wasn't a great idea.
    - Signed Madsen for 1 year and he never pitched due to injury in spring
    - Basically chose Mesarocco over Grandal in the Latos deal...looks like he may have made the right choice in those catchers
    - Extended Dusty Baker which may be his worst choice...haha

Not done a bad job by supplementing the current roster he inherited by my judgement.

11. Likes:

cincrazy (08-05-2013), HeatherC1212 (08-05-2013), RedlegJake (08-05-2013), REDREAD (08-06-2013)

To sum up:

Cueto is fat, Jocketty is lazy, Griffey Jr. was both fat and lazy, and Zach Duke is what this team is really missing.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

13. Likes:

Always Red (08-05-2013), jimbo (08-05-2013), Roy Tucker (08-06-2013), Tom Servo (08-05-2013)

I actually think Walt has done a really nice job improving the club. I like the fact he has not completely sold the farm in the name of marginal improvements. One weak area has been the use or at times lack thereof of the DL (see Marshall at the start of the season as an example) and an unwillingness to move some flotsam off the 40 man in order to bring up a potentially more helpful player. While I don't see Duke as a savior I would rather the Reds have kept up Reynolds over Ondrusek and brought up Duke for Partch. when you arguing over th 25th guy or the 12th man out of the pen, it is probably an off day in a not so bad season.

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    To sum up:

Cueto is fat,
    Cueto may be taking his twisting windup to absurd levels.

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    To sum up:

Cueto is fat, Jocketty is lazy, Griffey Jr. was both fat and lazy, and Zach Duke is what this team is really missing.
    *Broxton is fat too
    They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    He has also taught me that even when the Reds win it is important to focus on the fact that they could have lost.

17. Likes:

Blitz Dorsey (08-05-2013)

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Apples and oranges. Parra actually has some decent stuff. Duke lacked stuff in his prime. His K rate has been below 5 his entire career, Parra's close to 9.

19. Likes:

REDREAD (08-06-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Zach Duke is terrible. Why is there a thread about him?
    He has a very cool name.

I might name myself Zach Duke in my next life.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

21. Likes:

PuffyPig (08-06-2013)

Lol. Walt is lazy. Saying Walt is lazy is lazy.

Maybe Zach Duke just isn't very good at baseball?

With all due respect, Zach Duke's best possible role is finding a different line of employment.

Turn Off Ads?