Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Arizona Fall League 2013 Info

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Arizona Fall League 2013 Info

Some info starting to be released on Arizona Fall League. This year the Reds are part of the Glendale Desert Dogs. They were formerly the Phoenix Desert Dogs but the Phoenix ballpark is being phased out of MLB Spring Training.

Glendale is the Dodgers/White Sox facility. Probably the second best in Arizona behind the DBacks/Rockies park.

Tom Browning will be the pitching coach and the team will be shared by Reds, Marlins, White Sox, Dodgers, and Twins.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 08-04-2013 at 03:40 PM.

2. Likes:

dougdirt (08-04-2013),remdog (08-04-2013)

Re: Arizona Fall League 2013 Info

Man... I did a quick glance of the rosters to see who might be assigned. They don't have many options.

You are only allowed 1 player below AA. Players from countries that play winter ball aren't eligible. They normally don't send guys twice. And they usually send relievers and not starters.

Guys that fit that bill: Felix Perez, Curtis Partch, Chris Manno, Brian Pearl, Jamie Walczak, Tucker Barnhart, Devin Lohman, Ryan Lamarre, Yorman Rodriquez, Bryson Smith if he's healthy.

Just shows you how much we are waiting on talent to bubble up from A ball and below

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Wouldn't surprise me to see Lutz head back given that he basically rode the bench for a long time with the Reds and lost out on time.

Here is my shot at it.

Donald Lutz - As Doug said. Needs PAs.
    Tucker Barnhart - A heir to Ryan Hanigan. Getting him in position.
    Michael Lorenzen - Fast Track reliever who finishes at AA
    Daniel Renken - Should have about 50 innings left in his arm and won't use them up by Aug 31.
    Bryson Smith - Not sure if he'll be healthy, but he's missed a ton of time and could use some PT.
    Kyle Waldrop - Team gets one rep from High A, most guys there aren't eligible. Maybe a chance to see how he'll do against better competition and outside of Bakersfield.
    Parker Frazier - Plenty of innings left in his arm and a chance for the Reds to guage him a bit.

Outside shot that Robert Stephenson is promoted to AA by the end of August to make him eligible.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Here is my shot at it.

Donald Lutz - As Doug said. Needs PAs.
    Tucker Barnhart - A heir to Ryan Hanigan. Getting him in position.
    Michael Lorenzen - Fast Track reliever who finishes at AA
    Daniel Renken - Should have about 50 innings left in his arm and won't use them up by Aug 31.
    Bryson Smith - Not sure if he'll be healthy, but he's missed a ton of time and could use some PT.
    Kyle Waldrop - Team gets one rep from High A, most guys there aren't eligible. Maybe a chance to see how he'll do against better competition and outside of Bakersfield.
    Parker Frazier - Plenty of innings left in his arm and a chance for the Reds to guage him a bit.

Outside shot that Robert Stephenson is promoted to AA by the end of August to make him eligible.
    Agree with the first 3 (Lorenzen, Lutz + Barnhart) plus Waldrop. Not sure about the others. I'd rather see Silva duke it out with LaMarre with the winner starting in Louisville next year.

Maybe Mejias-Brean (as the sub-AA rep) as a pre-cursor for skipping Bakersfield?
    Or Vidal to see if he is worth salvaging?
    Probably makes sense to give Stephenson a rest once he's done with the regular season. Keep that arm fresh.
    Go BLUE!!!

I don't think YRod is eligible to go, as Latin American nationals have the option of playing down there in the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    I don't think YRod is eligible to go, as Latin American nationals have the option of playing down there in the winter.
    You can usually get one guy into the AFL if you want them. You need permission, but if the team wants to make it happen I can't see why they would be turned down. We need to remember that just because there are leagues in Venezuela, Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic that prospects don't always get game time.

Am guessing its Lutz, Barnhart, Walczak, and Ellis from the Wahoos. I asked around because players would have been asked if they plan on playing by now.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

10. Likes:

camisadelgolf (08-08-2013),lollipopcurve (08-08-2013)

I'd be shocked if they sent Stephenson.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I'd be shocked if they sent Stephenson.
    This is a non-issue. They skipped his last start to keep his innings in check. There is zero chance he is heading to the AFL.

You can usually get one guy into the AFL if you want them. You need permission, but if the team wants to make it happen I can't see why they would be turned down. We need to remember that just because there are leagues in Venezuela, Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic that prospects don't always get game time.
    The eligibility rules I've read say that if the foreign-born player comes from a country that has a winter league (which VZ does), he's not eligible for the AFL. Maybe those rules are outdated, I don't know...

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    The eligibility rules I've read say that if the foreign-born player comes from a country that has a winter league (which VZ does), he's not eligible for the AFL. Maybe those rules are outdated, I don't know...
    I haven't read the rules in a while, but here is the AFL leadboard for last season. Several Dominican players listed.

I know this discussion started before Lutz broke his finger.
    Do you guys think he will be healed in time to go to the AFL?
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

ctrent ‏@ctrent 4m
    #Reds sending D Hayes, M Lorenzen, C. Rogers, J. Walczak, T Barnhart, T. Mattair, R. LaMarre & Y. Rodriguez to AFL
    I am assuming this would put to rest the idea that Lorenzen is being brought up in September.

Drew Hayes is a returnee so that's a bit of a surprise and Sharky is a surprise.

Turn Off Ads?