Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Arizona Fall League 2013 Info

Re: Arizona Fall League 2013 Info

Drew Hayes is a returnee so that's a bit of a surprise and Sharky is a surprise.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    ctrent ‏@ctrent 4m

I am assuming this would put to rest the idea that Lorenzen is being brought up in September.
    I don't see why it would. The AFL doesn't start until October and he certainly won't be on the playoff roster.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I don't see why it would. The AFL doesn't start until October and he certainly won't be on the playoff roster.
    Possibly considered too much work for him this year? Weren't they limiting his innings this season?

Can you go to the AFL if you finish the season on the MLB roster? I assumed that was the case.

Can you go to the AFL if you finish the season on the MLB roster? I assumed that was the case.
    That is not listed in the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by wastedtime View Post
    Possibly considered too much work for him this year? Weren't they limiting his innings this season?
    He is at 41 innings right now for 2013. Even if he gets called up to the Majors he won't see much game time.

Considering we have Duke in the minors, I'm doubting Lorenzen gets called up in September, anyway.

That is not listed in the rules.
    Ahhhhh it is one of those unwritten rules.

Ahhhhh it is one of those unwritten rules.
    Their rules aren't worth much anyways. Their rules say Yorman Rodriguez shouldn't be eligible. But there he is on the roster.

Are there limits to the number of times teams send players to the AFL?

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...k_cin&c_id=cin
    Before the year is over, Lorenzen will be with a fifth team. He was among several prospects named Tuesday to participate in the Arizona Fall League. A two-way player in college -- and ranked by MLB.com as the Reds' No. 6 prospect -- the AFL stint will be a chance to pitch more out of the bullpen.

"It will be a good experience for him to continue to face a high level of competition while focusing solely on pitching," said Reds player development director Jeff Graupe. "He's been going out and competing, and it's been fun to watch him continue to develop."

Lorenzen, 21, has a 2.84 ERA in 20 appearances combined in the Arizona League, Class A Dayton, Class A Bakersfield and Pensacola. He has walked 13 and struck out 17.

"He's worked exclusively out of the bullpen and acclimated to the professional level," Graupe said. "We'll let him develop his offspeed pitches and see where things go."

13. Likes:

Edd Roush (08-29-2013)

Really looking forward to spending time photographing the league this year, my first as a Phoenix resident.

Huge plus that the Twins sent Alex Meyer who graduated from the same HS as me (Greensburg, IN... not well known for high level athletes)
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

15. Likes:

camisadelgolf (09-04-2013),dougdirt (09-04-2013),mdccclxix (09-04-2013)

Pardon my stupidity, but I guess I will ask anyway....

Is the Arizona Fall League different from the Instructional League that I see some teams have?

Do the reds have an Instructional League that starts after the minor league season ends like some teams do/

If so, have they released those rosters yet? I have seen that some teams have....

They are different, and yes Reds have one that will open soon. We sometimes hear who is there. But they definitely do not go out of their way to make it public knowledge.

Bumping this up. Things get started on Tuesday the 8th of October. Again, 8 Reds on the roster of the Glendale Desert Dogs

Pitchers: Drew Hayes, Sharky Rogers, Michael Lorenzen and Jamie Walczak
    Catcher: Tucker Barnhart
    IF: Travis Mattair
    OF: Ryan Lamarre and Yorman Rodriguez

I'd guess some 40 man roster decisions will factor in performances here.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?