Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Superfan Chuck Dee Trouble at GABP?

Re: Reds Superfan Chuck Dee Trouble at GABP?

I was standing in the power stacks by the batter's eye for the last three innings of the game. The people chanting were on the other side. I actually couldn't tell what they were chanting as the park was pretty loud and they were getting drowned out by other noise. From what I could see, they were pointing and yelling at someone (or a group) in the section of the Sun Deck immediately next to the Power Stacks, not at anyone on the field. I didn't hear anyone yelling anything obscene but they were plenty obnoxious. Security did come down at one point but I didn't see anyone get booted.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post
    oh, the puncher? Yea, this guy drives me nuts. Probably thinks he's one of the Reds or something.... I always wonder if he's on the Reds payroll or what he does for a living to allow him to attend every game and.... well.... punch all game long.... Chuck D needs a new schtick.
    I remember reading several years ago the Reds gave him free season tickets after seeing him at one of the caravan stops. I'm pretty sure the article said he was unemployed/down on his luck. I had the pleasure of sitting near him at a game several years ago and he couldn't have been more annoying.

Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Narron View Post
    I remember reading several years ago the Reds gave him free season tickets after seeing him at one of the caravan stops. I'm pretty sure the article said he was unemployed/down on his luck. I had the pleasure of sitting near him at a game several years ago and he couldn't have been more annoying.
    Actually, the Reds don't pay for his tickets. You might not want to sit next to him during a game, but he's a good dude. Ramsey did a profile on him a couple years ago: http://ramsey.mlblogs.com/2010/08/12/reds-1-fan/
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

5. Likes:

Redeyecat (08-05-2013)

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I think the sports world would be a better place without people like him or "Fireman Ed" or any of the other self-appointed "fan celebrities" who try to make the ballpark experience about themselves as opposed to the action on the field.

I'm sure he's a great guy, but the attention-seeking behavior does nothing for me.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Super Fans are annoying.

8. Likes:

coachpipe (08-06-2013), smith288 (08-24-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I think the sports world would be a better place without people like him or "Fireman Ed" or any of the other self-appointed "fan celebrities" who try to make the ballpark experience about themselves as opposed to the action on the field.

I'm sure he's a great guy, but the attention-seeking behavior does nothing for me.
    I think it depends. Personally I prefer supporters groups of the type you see in soccer, where they often come up with interesting and clever cheers, songs, and "tifo" displays. As far as superfans go, you have some good ones, like the Bengal Stormtrooperin Cincinnati or the Bone Lady in Cleveland, who have quirky costumes without being distracting, and some bad ones like Big Dog in Cleveland, who has actually ticked off a lot of people by acting like some self-appointed voice of the fans in general.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

10. Likes:

OGB (08-21-2013)

Yay!

I'm not sure Chuck has sought the attention. Sure, he talked to Ramsey, but I firmly believe he'd still be out there doing his thing if they had never put him on the video board.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

12. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (08-06-2013), Redeyecat (08-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    I'm not sure Chuck has sought the attention. Sure, he talked to Ramsey, but I firmly believe he'd still be out there doing his thing if they had never put him on the video board.
    His act wears thin after about 5 minutes and I hope to never sit near that section again.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    What the hell? Haha.

No relation to Chuck D from Public Enemy, right?
    No, he's a white guy lol

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    No, he's a white guy lol
    White people can be related to non-white people. Just sayin'

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

That's true, but I'm certain this is not one of those cases

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    His clothes and wigs are starving for attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    From what I saw on Facebook, here's what went down:
    If security at Yankee Stadium cracked down on fans making fun of the other team or other teams fans, the Yankees would be playing in front of an empty stadium every night.

700 wlw is making a big deal about this. Including a pre recorded spot they were playing on the 5pm hour. Tracy Jones act is very tired btw. Does anyone enjoy his schict?
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Attention-seeking "Superfans" tend to annoy me more than anything else.
    FWIW, they actually have a wax figure section of (old school) "superfans" at the (National) Hall of Fame.

I've been to pretty many games and never noticed the fellow being discussed here. Then again, I go to watch the game and don't pay a lot of attention to the fans/promotion/noise.

Turn Off Ads?