Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Reds Superfan Chuck Dee Trouble at GABP?

Re: Reds Superfan Chuck Dee Trouble at GABP?

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    I noticed the yellow line during the Pads series when I went over to the CF zone for a few minutes and couldn't remember them being there before. Along with an usher playing Soup-Nazi to anyone that got close. So this story solves the mystery.

Memories of the old ushers with bugs up their butt from the Riverfront Stadium days.
    Went over there last night and it was the first time I noticed the lines. They still have the rail to lean on. There needs to be a small rail behind the row next to the batter's eye - also it would be nice to have a long rail over on the right field landing and the opening at the Gap... lower level. That's where everyone seems to congregate.
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    The average attendance at an MLS game is rought 12,000 less than an MLB game.

I'm good.
    Well that's just a dumb comment. A big reason MLS doesn't average 30,000+ is because the stadiums are built relatively small to help create a better atmosphere. By your logic college basketball also has terrible fans watching games in terrible atmospheres because they have smaller crowds than MLB. Have you been to an MLS match? The crowds are incredible. I'd love it if MLB adopted some if the sing-song aspect of soccer fandom.

Quote Originally Posted by WestSideBomber View Post
    Well that's just a dumb comment. A big reason MLS doesn't average 30,000+ is because the stadiums are built relatively small to help create a better atmosphere. By your logic college basketball also has terrible fans watching games in terrible atmospheres because they have smaller crowds than MLB. Have you been to an MLS match? The crowds are incredible. I'd love it if MLB adopted some if the sing-song aspect of soccer fandom.
    They're not keeping the crowds small to "help create a better atmosphere." If an MLS match could attract 30,000+ they would build stadiums that could hold 30,000+.

5. Likes:

kbrake (08-22-2013),TSJ55 (08-22-2013)

The average attendance at an MLS game is rought 12,000 less than an MLB game.

I'm good.
    I prefer baseball, but this is the equivalent of saying Titanic is a better movie than The Godfather because it made more money.

7. Likes:

CoachBombay (08-22-2013),westofyou (08-22-2013)

I'd love it if MLB adopted some if the sing-song aspect of soccer fandom.
    Just threw up in mouth.

9. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (08-22-2013),Norm Chortleton (08-22-2013)

lol no. The reason they play in small stadiums is because nobody wants to go watch major league soccer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Reds Superfan Chuck Dee Trouble at GABP?

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    They're not keeping the crowds small to "help create a better atmosphere." If an MLS match could attract 30,000+ they would build stadiums that could hold 30,000+.
    You clearly don't know much about MLS. Seattle averages 40,521 and drew over 60,000 for their home match last weekend. Portland, Kansas City, and Montreal could all average 30,000+ fairly easily if their stadiums were larger. There are several other teams (Houston, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, San Jose, Toronto, and Vancouver) that I'm fairly confident could average around 25,000 simply if they had larger stadiums. As a whole, MLS averages over 85% stadium capacity for all games. There are currently 5 teams (over a quarter of the league) that average over 100% capacity. You don't think they would draw more fans if their stadiums were larger?
    Last edited by WestSideBomber; 08-22-2013 at 11:45 AM.

lol no. The reason they play in small stadiums is because nobody wants to go watch major league soccer.
    See my last post.

The soccer hate in this country is hilarious.

Embrace the world's game - you will enjoy it, I promise!

14. Likes:

5TimeWSChamps (08-23-2013),Always Red (08-22-2013),AtomicDumpling (08-22-2013),Caveat Emperor (08-22-2013),Slyder (08-22-2013),westofyou (08-22-2013),WestSideBomber (08-22-2013),Yachtzee (08-22-2013)

Reds Superfan Chuck Dee Trouble at GABP?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    The soccer hate in this country is hilarious.

Embrace the world's game - you will enjoy it, I promise!
    People who hate soccer oftentimes sound like children who won't try new food.

"I don't want to try soccer!"

"Why not? You might like it."

"No I won't! It's dumb and gross!"

"How do you know if you've never tried it? What's wrong with soccer?"

"It's stupid and it's dumb and I won't like it! I hate you!"

People who hate soccer oftentimes sound like children who won't try new food.

"I don't want to try soccer!"

"Why not? You might like it."

"No I won't! It's dumb and gross!"

"How do you know if you've never tried it? What's wrong with soccer?"

"It's stupid and it's dumb and I won't like it! I hate you!"

"It's boring and slow-paced" - ::goes back to watching football and baseball with 90% more down time than actual time the game is being played::

From the Wall Street Journal:

By WSJ calculations, a baseball fan will see 17 minutes and 58 seconds of action over the course of a three-hour game. This is roughly the equivalent of a TED Talk, a Broadway intermission or the missing section of the Watergate tapes. A similar WSJ study on NFL games in January 2010 found that the average action time for a football game was 11 minutes. So MLB does pack more punch in a battle of the two biggest stop-and-start sports. By seven minutes.
    Last edited by RedTeamGo!; 08-22-2013 at 12:04 PM.

17. Likes:

Slyder (08-22-2013)

I love soccer

I live in Portland

Portlanders love soccer

Baseball and soccer are different, baseball is different than all the back and forth sports, it does not lend itself to constant noise and false moments of dread or domination, the game's pace is not controlled by a mass it's controlled by an individual.

It will never be like any sport ever.

And that's why loud, demonstrative fan behavior in a constant stream feels odd and off putting

19. Likes:

Caveat Emperor (08-22-2013),Revering4Blue (08-22-2013)

You clearly don't know much about MLS. Seattle averages 40,521 and drew over 60,000 for their home match last weekend. Portland, Kansas City, and Montreal could all average 30,000+ fairly easily if their stadiums were larger. There are several other teams (Houston, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, San Jose, Toronto, and Vancouver) that I'm fairly confident could average around 25,000 simply if they had larger stadiums. As a whole, MLS averages over 85% stadium capacity for all games. There are currently 5 teams (over a quarter of the league) that average over 100% capacity. You don't think they would draw more fans if their stadiums were larger?
    The New England Revolution are a good case study. They have virtually unlimited capacity at Gillette Stadium. How is their attendance?

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    The New England Revolution are a good case study. They have virtually unlimited capacity at Gillette Stadium. How is their attendance?
    How is the attendance of the Miami Marlins? ::Jumps to conclusion:: - baseball attendance stinks across the board!

Exceptions are fun to use for generalizations though....

I don't know. Probably sucks. The Revs?

Turn Off Ads?