Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Reds Superfan Chuck Dee Trouble at GABP?

Re: Reds Superfan Chuck Dee Trouble at GABP?

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Yes, crazy that when I watch something my preference is that such programs spend more time on things I'm interested in than on things I could not care any less about.
    Oh I agree, hence why I never watch SC, they show football and basketball consistently

2. Turn Off Ads?

Reds Superfan Chuck Dee Trouble at GABP?

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Oh, I agree. I thought the "bash those who do not care for soccer thing" was getting a bit overboard here. Comments like "dumb", "ignorant", etc were coming from one side. And that is not to label all the pro-soccer folks here. Just seems there are better ways to discuss matters lol.
    If you're gonna call me out for the words "dumb" and "ignorant" then call out the other side for using the word "jerky" (for the record, none of those words are that bad...what is this, a preschool classroom?). I also didn't call the posters dumb or ignorant. I saw a sport I like being unfairly criticized and I defended it.

But I agree, this isn't the place for this argument. Lets move on.

Go Reds.

4. Likes:

RedFanAlways1966 (08-22-2013)

Iīm European and a soccer season ticket holder who sometimes travel to away games..

so I love soccer (like most people in germany) but I love us sport aswell and spent hours and hours during the night to watch the redlegs, bengals and bruins...

to say that european soccer is full of racists, hooligans and stupid guys who throw stuff at officials is stupid...

of course there are racist in europe (like everywhere on this planet) and of course there are soccer fans who are stupid and shout racist stuff during soccer games...

but how is it different than the stuff that happened and will happen in us stadiums... throwing bananas in san francisco, they throw bananas to simmonds in the nhl, there were racists in football stadiums aswell...

how about violent fans? I can remember some riots from vancouver fans after the bruins won the title ( nice to see lord stanley return ), how about some killings after football games?

there are stupid racist and violent people all over the world! some of them are sport "fans" and like to rage itself out at big sport events...

to say this is a european or soccer problem is stupid...

to the atmosphere:

I think it is not comparable! because of a season with 162 games, a single baseball game is not that important... no one can buy season tickets and attend every game (itīs different to european soccer)
    baseball is a family event and lots of people come late to the game and go before the game is finished (I would never do that and it was hard for me as a german soccer fan to understand it)...

in us sport there is always lots of show elements (cheerleader, first pitch, 7th inning stretch, national anthem, flyover, mascots, music during the sport event, someone who tries to get the fans going etc...) in european soccer you donīt see that very often (although it got more the past few years and the normal fan doesnīt like that)

I like the european soccer athmosphere very much and showed my cousins from cincinnati a soccer game of my fav. club (away), they never saw something like that before but I think they liked it...

6. Likes:

Always Red (08-22-2013),AtomicDumpling (08-22-2013),Caveat Emperor (08-22-2013),moewan (08-25-2013),Redeyecat (08-22-2013),RedTeamGo! (08-22-2013),Roy Tucker (08-22-2013),westofyou (08-22-2013),Yachtzee (08-22-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Of course. Well, except for the racists. That is happening all over the world, often. Not that this country doesn't have racists. They do. I don't follow non-world soccer (no leagues, just the USMT/world competitions), but I don't recall American sports having anti-racism talks before the games like you see in soccer all over the world. I don't recall worldwide magazines and newspapers having articles about the racism in American sports like we have seen with soccer over the past few years.

Obviously if you look hard enough, you are going to find crazies that make bad things happen anywhere. It just seems to happen more often in soccer than other sports. Even if it only happens on a rare occasion, it seems to be happening more with that sport than any others.
    Literally 2 weeks ago a banana was thrown at Adam Jones in San Francisco.

How about the Giants fan last year that was severely beaten by Dodgers fan?

How about the countless riots after college championships? NHL championships?

How about vicious brawls outside of HIGH SCHOOL games? In my hometown one of my brothers high school classmates was so severely beaten by some students from the rival high school outside of a hockey game he had a severe concussion and died.

How about baseball brawls?

How about Roberto Alomar spitting in an umpires face?

How about throwing a 95 mph baseball at someones face?

How about the Indiana Pacers running into the stands at the Palace of Auburn Hills and inciting a brawl with an entire stadium of fans? (Pacers players have said in the past whenever they are near fans in Detroit they are consistently called racist names which I will not repeat).

I can go on for days.

Have you ever played an organized sport? Have you ever played football? You should hear the horribly racist/terrible stuff that comes out of opponents to try and get into your head. This is not a soccer problem, the only difference is soccer is actually trying to address it and make a positive change. Other sports, ESPECIALLY American sports can learn from how soccer is attempting to defeat racism in their sport.

Your post is so ignorant it is amazing to me, and I do not apologize for using that word because it is the truth.
    Last edited by RedTeamGo!; 08-22-2013 at 03:52 PM.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I love soccer

I live in Portland

Portlanders love soccer

Baseball and soccer are different, baseball is different than all the back and forth sports, it does not lend itself to constant noise and false moments of dread or domination, the game's pace is not controlled by a mass it's controlled by an individual.

It will never be like any sport ever.

And that's why loud, demonstrative fan behavior in a constant stream feels odd and off putting
    Pretty much this -- I love the environment of a big soccer match as much as the next kid, but it's just a different "feel" than a baseball game.

Soccer is all about flow and build. The songs and chants are background to the constant action. It would sound out-of-place to be singing all the time in between pitches during a game.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

9. Likes:

Revering4Blue (08-22-2013)

If you want a little soccer atmosphere with your baseball, watch some of the games from the Latin American winter leagues. Their crowds generally stay with it for nine full innings. Heck, you can get a taste for it watching the Latin American teams in the Little League World Series.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

11. Likes:

westofyou (08-22-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    If you want a little soccer atmosphere with your baseball, watch some of the games from the Latin American winter leagues. Their crowds generally stay with it for nine full innings. Heck, you can get a taste for it watching the Latin American teams in the Little League World Series.
    Japan too

13. Likes:

Always Red (08-22-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by WestSideBomber View Post
    People who hate soccer oftentimes sound like children who won't try new food.

"I don't want to try soccer!"

"Why not? You might like it."

"No I won't! It's dumb and gross!"

"How do you know if you've never tried it? What's wrong with soccer?"

"It's stupid and it's dumb and I won't like it! I hate you!"
    Its funny because my daughter who is adopted from Russia loves soccer. In fact I have to hurry and type this post because I need to get her to practice. Early on I really hated the sport and while I can't say I have grown to like it, I have at least grown to tolerate it. She doesn't care for baseball in the least while my son who is biological is more obnoxious about baseball than I am. He is luke warm on soccer to.

I would rank it well below hockey for me.

1) Baseball....duh
    2) Basketball
    3) Football
    4) Hockey
    5) Watching paint dry
    6) Soccer
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Literally 2 weeks ago a banana was thrown at Adam Jones in San Francisco.

How about the Giants fan last year that was severely beaten by Dodgers fan?

How about the countless riots after college championships? NHL championships?

How about vicious brawls outside of HIGH SCHOOL games? In my hometown one of my brothers high school classmates was so severely beaten by some students from the rival high school outside of a hockey game he had a severe concussion and died.

How about baseball brawls?

How about Roberto Alomar spitting in an umpires face?

How about throwing a 95 mph baseball at someones face?

How about the Indiana Pacers running into the stands at the Palace of Auburn Hills and inciting a brawl with an entire stadium of fans? (Pacers players have said in the past whenever they are near fans in Detroit they are consistently called racist names which I will not repeat).

I can go on for days.

Have you ever played an organized sport? Have you ever played football? You should hear the horribly racist/terrible stuff that comes out of opponents to try and get into your head. This is not a soccer problem, the only difference is soccer is actually trying to address it and make a positive change. Other sports, ESPECIALLY American sports can learn from how soccer is attempting to defeat racism in their sport.

Your post is so ignorant it is amazing to me, and I do not apologize for using that word because it is the truth.
    If you think racism in the US at sporting events from the fans toward the players is in the same stratosphere as racism in soccer in Europe, you are freaking kidding yourself. I applaud FIFA and other governing bodies for attempting to do something about it. But yeah, stuff happening in the US isn't remotely close to what is happening in Europe. I don't remember seeing any articles written like this about baseball, or football, or basketball in the US. Maybe I simply missed it though.

I don't recall anything like this happening at an American sporting event.

Or this one.

Or this one.

Yes, there have been a few individual incidents in American sports that got out of control. The father/son attack on an umpire. A throwing of a banana onto the field. Ron Artest going after a fan that threw something at him.

Soccer though? Massive riots resulting in deaths.

American celebration "riots" after winning a championship? Setting some cars on fire.

But yeah, let's just talk about my ignorance.
    Last edited by dougdirt; 08-22-2013 at 07:50 PM.

They call me "chef"

Futbol is for the enlightened.

It's like a Jim Jarmusch films slowed down.

It's like a rare, throat burning whiskey that you spit into a house plant when no one is looking then spend the rest of the evening talking about its virtues.

Only 74 died here. And there hadn't been a soccer incident more deadly since all the way back in 1996.

How about getting back to the original thread subject? Please, if you want to discuss the pros and cons of soccer (football) vs baseball or any other sport start a new thread in "The Tavern"...

Mo Egger's blog gave his take on it: 4) Chuck D, the guy who calls himself "the Number One Reds fan" is unhappy with his favorite team...

Read more: http://www.espn1530.com/pages/mo.htm...#ixzz2ckSDnv4O
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

What in the world are you guys arguing about?
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    What in the world are you guys arguing about?
    Soccer. Baseball. Hooligans. Riots. Disco demolition. Ron Artest. Roberto Alomar. Egypt. Other assorted things.

21. Likes:

Griffey012 (08-23-2013),Tom Servo (08-23-2013)

Soccer. Baseball. Hooligans. Riots. Disco demolition. Ron Artest. Roberto Alomar. Egypt. Other assorted things.
    Ok. Looked like a hot mess of crazy to me.

Have fun.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Turn Off Ads?