Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The biggest thing lost in all of this steroid stuff I never see mentioned...

The biggest thing lost in all of this steroid stuff I never see mentioned...

How come in all of the media coverage and everything else, no one is talking about the most obvious thing:

All these players have been TESTED. And TESTED for years. And came up clean basically every time. Braun is the only one to officially pop, but passed all the other times, and when he did pop it was obviously a calculated short term test boost before a playoff game he thought he could get by with.

Why is the subject always about "we're cleaning up the game, see! And look at all our strict testing and going after HGH soon, etc."

Umm ... err. The elephant in the room is that the drug testing doesn't work. These guys cycle their roids and they're out of their system EVERY time they test. Biogenesis isn't the only clinic in the world, it's one of dozens. Who knows how many other players are at other clinics doing this? Obviously testing is futile, as this whole scandal has shown.

2. Likes:

Billy Hamilton's Legs (08-05-2013), joshua (08-05-2013), Krawhitham (08-05-2013), mth123 (08-06-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The biggest thing lost in all of this steroid stuff I never see mentioned...

Because none of these guys were on steroids. They were all on HGH, which isn't tested for until 2014.

5. Likes:

marcshoe (08-05-2013)

Re: The biggest thing lost in all of this steroid stuff I never see mentioned...

The testing works. It's the chemist who finds ways to mask the PEDS,HGH etc.. who keep finding ways to get around the tests. This will be a continual loop for as long as players continue to use drugs. They have been testing in the Olympics for years and years. But athletes get busted every Olympics for using them.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Because none of these guys were on steroids. They were all on HGH, which isn't tested for until 2014.
    Correct. However, MLB started testing for HGH in the minors in 2010. Many of those players were in the minors and subject to HGH testing then.

Random testing only works if the penalty for getting caught is strict enough to scare players into not taking that chance. So far, the brief history of testing has shown us that many players think it's worth the risk. MLB needs tougher penelties if it really wants to stop PED use.

8. Likes:

Billy Hamilton's Legs (08-05-2013)

Lance Armstrong is innocent too...

Several of the Biogenesis players did fail drug tests and were suspended previously, which is why they were not suspended again for the same offense today. Bartolo Colon, Melky Cabrera and Yasmani Grandal fall into that category.

Secondly, the drugs these guys are using nowadays are much weaker and more subtle, which makes them harder to detect. They also stay in the user's tissues for a shorter period, so they have a shorter window of detection (and they don't remain effective for as long either.) PEDs users are not taking the same hardcore steroids that players were taking 15 years ago. If they were they would get caught easily with the urine tests.

11. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (08-05-2013)

The cheaters will always be a step ahead of the testers. It's always been that way and I don't see it ever changing. It's as guaranteed as death and taxes.
    "I talked to an advance scout that told me if Joey Votto and Albert Pujols were on the same team he'd advise his team to do the unthinkable...pitch around Votto to get to Pujols." - Buster Olney, ESPN

This is just one group of players at one company. Are there more? I hope not but assume so.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

14. Likes:

New York Red (08-05-2013)

The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    This is just one group of players at one company. Are there more? I hope not but assume so.
    That's another thing being overlooked. This is one clinic and one doctor. Are we to assume every player who cheats was using this one outlet? The first scandal originated on the west coast, and this one is in south Florida. It'd be extremely naive to think there aren't other dealers and users out there.
    "I talked to an advance scout that told me if Joey Votto and Albert Pujols were on the same team he'd advise his team to do the unthinkable...pitch around Votto to get to Pujols." - Buster Olney, ESPN

Here is a question I have been pondering for a while:

Since the PEDs always seen to have been ahead of the testing and punishing, do you think there is a chance a guy in the HOF has used?

Obviously, there are guys in the Hall that have used spitballs, files, corked bats, and whatever, but do you think anybody has used?

I know the Hall has tried to have a reputation of pristine, pure talents but I am sure there are PED users in it along with other cheaters.

PEDs users are maddening. Not only did they ruin the history of baseball where guys like Mantle, Ruth, Aaron, and Maris were passed up by McGwire, Sosa, Rodriguez, and Bonds, but also, there were all those players during that era who did not use and were forgotten as their numbers were not up to par with the juiceheads.

But what ticks me off is that they still get on the ballot. They have the chance to get voted in. What about Pete Rose? Where is his name on the ballot? He didn't cheat the game with unfair advantages. I know gambling does have an effect, but all of his numbers are legit.

Let's say one of the juiceheads gets in the hall. How would they justifiably let them in and Pete out? What inspires and adds to the game more? A huge, muscular guy hitting bombs into the San Fran bay or seeing a guy turning a double into a triple with a head first slide? A guy bombing a ball 70+ season or a guy knocking out the catcher during an All Star game with the reasoning that the fans paid to watch a baseball game?

My point is that PEDs are a little worse than gambling in my book, but the fact that the users get on the ballot is ludicrous since Pete can't get his name.

A-Rod has trashed the MLB's tactics and been caught twice with steroids now, yet he gets essentially a year ban (do not think he would make much difference this year). Not only that, but he still gets to play since he is going to appeal.

Unbelievable.
    2013 Attendance: 6-0
    4/3/13, 4/16/13, 4/17/13, 8/3/13, 8/21/13, 9/7/13

Quote Originally Posted by BungleBengals View Post
    Here is a question I have been pondering for a while:

Since the PEDs always seen to have been ahead of the testing and punishing, do you think there is a chance a guy in the HOF has used?
    I absolutely believe there could be at least a few HOFers who were users. Everyone seems to accept that the steroid era didn't begin until Jose Canseco popularized them in the mid- to late-80s.

But I think it could have been way before then. I was a HS freshman in Richmond, Ky., in 1978 and moved to Florida in 1979. I know HS players and just regular students in both places who were using steroids even then.

20. Likes:

oneupper (08-06-2013)

If you donīt search you wonīt find something...

they started now to do something against steroids, if it is because the league wanted or if the media made to much pressure....

in germany everyone is talking negative about professional cycling because of all the doping scandals (big tv stations stopped the coverage of the tour de france etc.) but at the same time nobody cares about doping in soccer

I prefer big scandals than to hear nothing, because it shows that the organisation does something against doping... in germany they had no blood tests till this year for professionel soccer players, some soccer players from spain were on the list of fuentes (the guy that was very big on doping in spain) but nobody cared and the only names that went public were cyclists...

=> If you donīt search (f. ex. in nhl, nba, nfl, european soccer...) you wonīt find something

but if they search and find something the sport is full of doping => bad sport

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    I absolutely believe there could be at least a few HOFers who were users. Everyone seems to accept that the steroid era didn't begin until Jose Canseco popularized them in the mid- to late-80s.

But I think it could have been way before then. I was a HS freshman in Richmond, Ky., in 1978 and moved to Florida in 1979. I know HS players and just regular students in both places who were using steroids even then.
    Absolutely. Look at all those East German women swimmers back in the 70s.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

23. Likes:

wlf WV (08-05-2013)

Turn Off Ads?