Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pete Rose 4256

Re: Pete Rose 4256

Quote Originally Posted by Fullboat View Post
    Wonder how many hits he lost or gained because of scoring decisions.
    Cobb lost two.....Show should not be the pitcher

2. Turn Off Ads?

If it weren't for the strike shortened season in '81, Rose would likely not have needed to play in '86.

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Its funny you post this because to date I have 4,294 posts and to me it seems like a bunch. I was just thinking the other day that I have posted as many times as Rose has gotten a hit. Thats alotta hits and posts.
    So what's Krono then?

Pay attention to the open sky

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    So what's Krono then?
    I play the right way and do the little things
    Go Gators!

6. Likes:

Roy Tucker (08-06-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Chicago View Post
    If it weren't for the strike shortened season in '81, Rose would likely not have needed to play in '86.
    and 10 games in 1972

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    and 10 games in 1972
    My second favorite baseball season ever

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    My second favorite baseball season ever
    How old are you???

How old are you???

Alright....though you were around my age

Alright....though you were around my age
    I post younger

13. Likes:

Red in Chicago (08-07-2013), TRF (08-07-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Chicago View Post
    Why did he need to play in '86? He hit 4,192 on 9/11/85.

15. Likes:

Red in Chicago (08-07-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    First of all, a .395 OBP at age 44 is absolutely amazing. I would have no problem batting anybody with a .395 OBP 2nd, I don't care what their BA/SLG is.

With that being said, what were pitchers smoking? Why would you walk a guy with a .319 SLG% 86 times? He only struck out 35 times so obviously he had a great eye and ability to make contact, but dear lord throw the ball down the middle and make him hit a single.
    Also, Pete got those 86 BB's as a platoon player, starting only against RHP. 43-year-old Tony Perez (who hit .328 that year) started at 1B vs. LHP.

IIRC, both of Pete's home runs that season were wind-blown shots at Wrigley Field.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Also, Pete got those 86 BB's as a platoon player, starting only against RHP. 43-year-old Tony Perez (who hit .328 that year) started at 1B vs. LHP.

IIRC, both of Pete's home runs that season were wind-blown shots at Wrigley Field.
    I know you probably remember Klu, but for the youngsters on here, Rose wasn't the best player, but was easily the biggest name in the game at the time. He was very familiar with every ump and his status pretty much gave him every close call. Those walks were a lifetime achievement award. Think of it as the Greg Maddux treatment in reverse. If pitchers wanted to get him out, they had to pitch to him and give him a chance to get those hits to break the record. Borderline junk was called a ball.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

18. Likes:

Big Klu (08-07-2013)

I actually do think the hits record will fall at some point. It may or may not happen in the next few decades, but I think ultimately someone will grab it.

High BA type line drive hitters who get their start in the majors at a young age have a shot at the record. If they mix in longevity and durability, it gives them a better shot. Not to mention I do believe that medical advances, nutrition advances and fitness advances (legitimate fitness advances, not PEDs) may enable more and more guys to play at a higher level into their 40s.

Derek Jeter still had a decent chance at the record heading into this season, but injuries this year finally cost him a ton of hits and the odds are now much lower. Ichiro is a guy who had the perfect skill set, if only he started in the majors immediately instead of spending several seasons in Japan. Miguel Cabrera has a tiny chance, but I don't think it's likely - his body may break down on him too early.

The guy I'd watch is Trout. He turned 22 today, and he already has 352 hits. He gets a ton of PAs, and he's a high BA type hitter. Now all he needs is exceptional durability and longevity. Is it likely? Not really. But I think there's a chance Trout could make things interesting. Certainly enough of a chance to keep an eye on him over the next several years as his career continues to progress.

At the end of the day, I think of it like this: Ty Cobb played 100 years ago, and he put up 4,189 hits. He missed parts of season due to injuries, and he missed time serving in WWI. He also hit .323/.389/.431/.819 for an OPS+ of 112 in his very last season. His legs were shot by then, but he could still hit even when he retired. If the roles were reversed, and Cobb was chasing Rose's record, Cobb likely would have gotten it.
    Last edited by Cyclone792; 08-07-2013 at 08:03 AM.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

I post younger
    You have young fingers.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Turn Off Ads?