Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone know of side jobs?

Re: Anyone know of side jobs?

Write online articles for money. A friend of mine wrote for eHow and some other sites.

Here is a list.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

2. Likes:

coachpipe (08-07-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Stripper?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Stripper?
    Thats my day job...come into the Brass Ass for a freebie if you want

Is there anything you have an interest in that you might consider working for low pay, but has perks that make it fun? For example, if you like movies, getting a job at a movie theater can get you some extra money as well as free movie passes. I worked at one in high school and found the free movie passes came in handy for dates. It's a bit late, but next summer consider a part-time job at an outdoor concert venue or a ballpark. You get paid to be at concerts or games. Plus you get to know the other staff, who will hook you up with better seats, free refills, etc. when you attend as a customer. I also spent a summer working at Great Lakes Brewing Co. Again the pay wasn't great, but the discounts on beer and occassional free six-packs more than made up for the pay, and it was an easy job selling stuff I their retail store.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Serving and bartending have been, I've found, the best way to make bang for your buck on a side job. It can be exhausting work and if you hate it, you hate it. You'll never like it better and it's not worth it to try. But if you like it (I always did), it's a solid source of income. And it's great for a second income, because it's not reliable enough that you want to plan all your bills around it, but then good weeks become just good weeks for you to do what you like with. Like putting it in a Roth IRA, especially if you're young! Or whatever.

If you're in a big city, you likely won't be able to find anything decent that doesn't require experience and a commitment of a few nights a week to start. Barring that, though, I would think you could pick up a night or two a week. Yeah, you give up one night and you're tired for one extra day, but the money could be great for that sacrifice. If you can't give up one or two nights a week, you're probably going to have a hard time finding a second job to suit you. There aren't a lot of ways to make "easy" money in this economy. $100 a week isn't a particularly small sum either; that's $400-500 a month. I have friends who clear extra money writing reviews for music websites, but I think they make, like, $30 a month.

Beyond that, I agree that your best bet would be cutting expenses. Cyclone laid out some good suggestions, but just generally pay very careful attention to where your money is going. Write down everything you buy for two months, every cent you spend. It's tedious but it will really enlighten you as to where your money is going. I feel like $80-100 a week for groceries is a lot for one person. Where does that money go? Are you buying high-end brands? Fancily packaged processed foods? Can you buy higher quantities of more filling foods that will work out more cheaply each serving? Things like that.
    Last edited by vaticanplum; 08-07-2013 at 03:11 PM.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

8. Likes:

remdog (08-07-2013)

$400 a month is a decent amount for one person's groceries. If I were making double minimum wage I'd probably try to cut that down.

You basically are saying you want to make more money but don't want to inconvenience yourself at all to do it, and it really doesn't work like that.

It's always best to start some sort of side business if you want extra money. It's way easier to clear decent amounts working for yourself than it is flipping burgers or whatever.

Think about something like mowing lawns - your hourly rate on something like that is going to be $20-$30 an hour before expenses. Obviously getting customers is always the hard part on service businesses, but there you go. The problem being, you'd actually have to work outside of your normal job, which you seem unwilling to do.

Anyway, I recently found these two articles interesting, and many of the ideas on the lists can be done part time:

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2013/...degree-part-1/

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2013/...degree-part-2/
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

10. Likes:

danken12 (08-12-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by coachpipe View Post
    Thats my day job...come into the Brass Ass for a freebie if you want
    Well there is your problem right there. You are working 7 to 5 pm as a stripper. You need to change to a more lucrative shift.

12. Likes:

Razor Shines (08-07-2013)

This thread just reminded me how awful a waiter I once was.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

14. Likes:

mdccclxix (08-09-2013)

I hear ads on the radio about certification to be a personal trainer.

16. Likes:

Razor Shines (08-07-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    I hear ads on the radio about certification to be a personal trainer.
    Yeah, I've heard those too. You could be making $150K after a year and half of training. Why doesn't everyone do that?
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

If you have a college degree and a fulltime job, and still struggle this badly, you need to fire your girlfriend. If she isn't the problem, you are.

19. Likes:

Hoosier Red (08-08-2013),JB12 (08-08-2013),mth123 (08-10-2013)

I actually know exactly the kind of thing you are looking for. I do it right now and make pretty decent side money. It sounds like we are in the same boat. I have a full time job, yet I would like a little extra spending money. Who wouldnt? There are plenty of things you can do online from being an online sales rep(working your own hours) to doing surveys/studies and even some sports betting sites(but those can get risky). I havent ventured into the online sales, but I know people who sell Xyngular, avon and other products who make a decent amount of money. Im currently signed up for 3 survey websites and 2 music feedback websites(yes people actually pay to hear your opinion on their music) I make anywhere from $25-$50 a day depending on the hours put in. Which definitely adds up.. Coachpipe, Pm me and if this is something you are interested in as it sounds like you are

I second the selling stuff suggestion. Our local landfill has a well organized section that they put stuff out that would be worthy of Goodwill or what not, and it's free to take home. I got 2 leather office chairs that should fetch 50 bucks each. My sister just gave me, literally, 500 dollars in original value worth of great condition children's books that I've thought about selling on ebay. Craigslist has a free stuff section. Etc, etc.

Other than that, there are a lot of companies that need data processed in excel format. Maybe look for that type of work.

Beyond that, I agree that your best bet would be cutting expenses. Cyclone laid out some good suggestions, but just generally pay very careful attention to where your money is going. Write down everything you buy for two months, every cent you spend. It's tedious but it will really enlighten you as to where your money is going. I feel like $80-100 a week for groceries is a lot for one person. Where does that money go? Are you buying high-end brands? Fancily packaged processed foods? Can you buy higher quantities of more filling foods that will work out more cheaply each serving? Things like that.
    If you eat out - cut back on it or eliminate it all together (if your place of work has a kitchen with a fridge, microwave, toaster oven that's the best option)... it is amazing how much that adds up just in a week.
    2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

23. Likes:

mole44 (08-11-2013),RBA (08-09-2013)

Opinion Outpost--I make 50-60 a month from them doing surveys

Darwin's Data--You get 10.00 in amazon giftcards for signing up and get 25.00 per survey after

Turn Off Ads?