Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it bad to think a player is using PEDs when their production drops/increases.....

Is it bad to think a player is using PEDs when their production drops/increases.....

Is it bad that my friend & I were talking about players not having a good season, offensively, & our first reaction was if they took PEDs to make the team or win the spot then stopped. Does anyone else in RZ ever think this way?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Is it bad to think a player is using PEDs when their production drops/increases..

Depends on the other evidence you have, but if all you are going on is a drop or increase in production, you might want to consider other possibilities first. You know -- like random variation or a slump.
    Last edited by RedEye; 08-06-2013 at 09:36 PM.

Re: Is it bad to think a player is using PEDs when their production drops/increases..

I agree, you should look @ other things & give players the benefit of the doubt. I guess I have heard so much over the past decade that I initially think PED when I see a player have such such a jump in BA or HR's.

Quote Originally Posted by redlegs2370 View Post
    I agree, you should look @ other things & give players the benefit of the doubt. I guess I have heard so much over the past decade that I initially think PED when I see a player have such such a jump in BA or HR's.
    Not surprising. Many others on this board share your instinct.

Yes.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

By "is it bad" do you mean unfair to players for you to suspect them or to discuss those suspicions in private conversations? Because it's one thing to have conversations like that where those involved know they're mostly playing a guessing game and something else to actually believe in someone's guilt without real evidence. If you're just enjoying the conversation without letting it convince you that you have knowledge you really don't have, then I don't think there's anything wrong with that as long as it's private.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Is it bad that my friend & I were talking about players not having a good season, offensively, & our first reaction was if they took PEDs to make the team or win the spot then stopped. Does anyone else in RZ ever think this way?
    It's a sign of the times. I dislike it, and it's a crying shame, but it's a sign of the times.

Is it bad that my friend & I were talking about players not having a good season, offensively, & our first reaction was if they took PEDs to make the team or win the spot then stopped.
    I'm pretty sure that means you're a bad human.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

No I don't think it is bad. It is a natural question to ask given what we have been told about PEDs. However the correct answer to the question is 99% certain to be that no, PEDs were not the reason for a change in hitting performance. The effects of PEDs on hitting have been shown quite conclusively to be negligible, although most people will never believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    No I don't think it is bad. It is a natural question to ask given what we have been told about PEDs. However the correct answer to the question is 99% certain to be that no, PEDs were not the reason for a change in hitting performance. The effects of PEDs on hitting have been shown quite conclusively to be negligible, although most people will never believe it.
    So Barry bonds and lance Armstrong did not benefit from PED's? Bonds would have turned into Babe Ruth at the age of 38 anyway? It was all just a placebo? Wow

There's nothing at all wrong with thinking that way, when you consider it's cast a huge dark cloud over the sport for more than a decade now. I guarantee you players are just as guilty as fans when it comes to suspecting, or at least wondering about, some in the game.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

If it walks like a duck, check for how it swims, if it has feathers, a bill, etc and other signs that it may, in fact, be a duck.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

14. Likes:

RedsBaron (08-07-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    If it walks like a duck, check for how it swims, if it has feathers, a bill, etc and other signs that it may, in fact, be a duck.
    Or it's a witch. Or a piece of wood.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

16. Likes:

RedEye (08-07-2013),reds1869 (08-07-2013)

It's not bad as long as you are aware of the games history of variance and trends.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    I'd like to see sources on that. Quite interesting.

Turn Off Ads?