Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: A Little More From Joey V

Re: A Little More From Joey V

....which kind of proves the point.

Let Joey do what he does and the RBI will take care of themselves.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I Like It When He Does That. Very Productive, Even If Some Deem the stat Flawed.
    Last edited by RollyInRaleigh; 08-09-2013 at 09:05 PM.

Yeah, Joey looks pretty good tonight. He is having a terrific season.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    I Like It When He Does That. Very Productive, Even If Some Deem It Flawed.
    Assuming you're not trolling:

Joey Votto driving in base runners is a Good Thing. No one is saying otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Joey Votto driving in base runners is a Good Thing.
    I totally agree.

Assuming you're not trolling:

Joey Votto driving in base runners is a Good Thing. No one is saying otherwise.
    Brandon Phillips might be

I Like It When He Does That. Very Productive, Even If Some Deem It Flawed.
    Totally unrelated to the discussion....

I gotta know what's up with capitalizing every word. It looks cool, but is there a reason behind it?
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Happens When I Use My Droid Phone To Post On Redszone. As Far As Your Comment, I Guess It Depends On How You Look At The Game. I Simply Don't Believe The Ability To Hit With Runners In Scoring Position Is Some Random Happening In The Game Of Baseball. You Hit In Those Positions In The Batting Order, Where Runners Are Likely To Be On, For A Reason.
    Last edited by RollyInRaleigh; 08-09-2013 at 09:10 PM.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Happens When I Use My Droid Phone To Post On Redszone.
    I have the same thing happen with mine.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

11. Likes:

And that's not the argument I'm making.
    Two guys on two different teams could have the exact same numbers and have different RBI totals.

It's not the act of driving another player in that's the issue, it's the assigning of credit for something completely outside his control...whether or not there are runners on base in front of him. Joey at bat with a runner on third hits a double. One RBI. Edgar Martinez at bat with two runners in scoring position hits a double. Both guys did the exact same thing, but at the end of the year Edgar has more RBI than Votto, and everything else being equal, Edgar had the "better" year.

Happens When I Use My Droid Phone To Post On Redszone.
    Strange. I'm posting with my Droid right now, and no problems.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

And that's not the argument I'm making.
    Two guys on two different teams could have the exact same numbers and have different RBI totals.

It's not the act of driving another player in that's the issue, it's the assigning of credit for something completely outside his control...whether or not there are runners on base in front of him. Joey at bat with a runner on third hits a double. One RBI. Edgar Martinez at bat with two runners in scoring position hits a double. Both guys did the exact same thing, but at the end of the year Edgar has more RBI than Votto, and everything else being equal, Edgar had the "better" year.
    Again, this still glosses over the fact that Votto actually does convert fewer baserunners than average and is below his career average this year.

Someone factored in the IBBs and showed it brought his 12% rate up to 13 and change. That's still a below average number, the average sits between 15-16%

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Again, this still glosses over the fact that Votto actually does convert fewer baserunners than average and is below his career average this year.

Someone factored in the IBBs and showed it brought his 12% rate up to 13 and change. That's still a below average number, the average sits between 15-16%
    But the important thing to remember is that it's just not about (for lack of a better term) run "production" it's about run CREATION.

I've described a player's responsibility as avoiding outs and collecting bases. Let me describe it another way: creating opportunities for himself and creating opportunities for his teammates.

It's every hitters job to set the table for the next guy and to clear the table for the ones before.

And Another One Of Those Flawed Statistics In The third.
    Yes, in the 3rd, a guy got on ahead of him (out of his control) and he hit the ball hard off the fence (in his control.......sort of), so he got an RBI, but.....................................he did not get credit for a RBI with a runner in scoring position like he did in the first, but he hit the ball much harder in the 3rd. Then Marty and his WLW Sportstalk minions will, in the future, use "BA with RISP" to take a dig when he misses a RISP opportunity. Flaws all over the place with using RBI as any kind of measurement for a batter's value, indeed.
    Last edited by traderumor; 08-10-2013 at 08:54 AM.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

18. Likes:

Raisor (08-10-2013),RichRed (08-10-2013)

Turn Off Ads?