Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sam LeCure - Answer Man Article

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Sam LeCure - Answer Man Article

Not sure how this wasn't posted yet but this is a pretty fun interview with Sam LeCure that was posted earlier today.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-bi...7614--mlb.html

Fave Parts:
    DB: Why do the Reds seemingly have as many mascots as players?

SLC: Haha, what are they? Rosie Red, Mr. Redlegs ... what's the plain-looking one? Just Mr. Red? And then they've got Gapper. I feel like there's another one. I don't know why they have so many. I mean, they don't really do anything on the field. That's just me. When they involve them, it's usually on the video board race. But yeah, we've got enough mascots to field a football team. I don't get it.

DB: Do you remember when Mr. Redlegs fell off the ATV and lost his head?

SLC: Haha! No that must have been before I got here. That's classic. I bet that scared the [bleep] out of some kids.
    I'm right there with you Sam about the mascots although I do remember when the one lost his head and it was rather hilarious, LOL
    Last edited by HeatherC1212; 08-30-2013 at 03:59 PM.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

2. Likes:

cincinnati chili (08-31-2013),Tom Servo (08-30-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Sam LeCure - Answer Man Article

I understand the Gapper was their attempt at some sort of Philly Phanatic, which is fine I guess. But I've always thought Mr. Redlegs and Mr. Red were so close to being the same thing that it made no sense to have both.

Do I know if there's an afterlife? No, nobody does, other than the people that are in it. There may be nothing, it may be blackness. I can't wrap my head around the fact that I'm not going to be able to have a thought [because I am dead]. I hope that there is.
    I was not anticipating seeing Sam LeCure describe my exact thoughts on death and the afterlife when I clicked on this link.

Good interview!
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

6. Likes:

KittyDuran (08-30-2013)

Gapper (sometimes referred to as Groper[citation needed]) is one of the current mascots for the Cincinnati Reds.[8] He was first introduced as the furry companion to Mr. Red, the long-time mascot in the winter of 2002 as the franchise was preparing to move to their new home, Great American Ball Park. The mascot was created by David Raymond's Raymond Entertainment Group, the founder being the man inside the Phillie Phanatic costume from 1973 to 1993. A young fan won two season tickets for submitting the winning name; he is named after the "gap" in the stands in the seats of Great American, which provides a view into and out of the stadium. The term "gapper" is also a slang phrase for a batted ball which falls into the "gap" between outfielders (generally a ball hit to either left-center or right-center field which rolls to the fence). According to a recent cincinnati.com poll of the Red's four mascots, he is the least popular amongst fans. He received 6% of the voting, Mr. Red received 23%, Rosie Red received 34%, and Mr. Redlegs received 47%.

9. Likes:

NebraskaRed (08-30-2013)

I also did not know about this "Franchester" thing.

And any article that references the Stallone masterpiece Cobra, is a good article.

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    I understand the Gapper was their attempt at some sort of Philly Phanatic, which is fine I guess. But I've always thought Mr. Redlegs and Mr. Red were so close to being the same thing that it made no sense to have both.
    At least they "improved" Mr. Red. Before he had creepy eyes...
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

12. Likes:

Big Klu (09-09-2013),Roy Tucker (08-31-2013)

Have they ever been seen together?
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran View Post
    At least they "improved" Mr. Red. Before he had creepy eyes...
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

15. Likes:

BillDoran (08-30-2013),KittyDuran (08-30-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Have they ever been seen together?

18. Likes:

Tom Servo (08-30-2013)

"Time to die."

20. Likes:

Big Klu (09-09-2013),BillDoran (08-30-2013),KittyDuran (08-30-2013),NebraskaRed (08-30-2013),Old school 1983 (08-30-2013),RichRed (08-30-2013),UKFlounder (08-30-2013)

Looks like he's been hitting up the greenies.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Haunted by walks

Mr. Redlegs is old school. Mr. Red is SABR.

Pretty cool interview.

Turn Off Ads?