Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: It's moving time

It's moving time

The next three weeks should be a good time for the Reds to make a move if they are going to do so.

Code:
    Fri, Aug 9  vs San Diego	Arroyo (9-9)	Cashner (8-5)	
    Sat, Aug 10 vs San Diego 	Cingrani (5-1)	Ross (2-5)	
    Sun, Aug 11 vs San Diego	Leake (10-5)	Kennedy (4-8)	

Mon, Aug 12 @ Cubs		Latos (11-3)	Rusin (1-1)
    Tue, Aug 13 @ Cubs              Bailey (6-10)	Samardzija (6-10)	
    Wed, Aug 14 @ Cubs

Thu, Aug 15 @ Milwaukee
    Fri, Aug 16 @ Milwaukee
    Sat, Aug 17 @ Milwaukee
    Sun, Aug 18 @ Milwaukee

Mon, Aug 19 vs Arizona
    Tue, Aug 20 vs Arizona
    Wed, Aug 21 vs Arizona
    Thu, Aug 22 vs Arizona

Fri, Aug 23 vs Milwaukee
    Sat, Aug 24 vs Milwaukee
    Sun, Aug 25 vs Milwaukee

St Louis has 6 vs the Cubs, 3 with Pittsburgh, 3 with Milwaukee, and 4 with Atlanta.
    Pittsburgh finishes up against Miami then has 3 with Colorado, 3 with St. Louis, 3 with Arizona, 3 at San Diego and 4 at San Francisco on a West coast trip, before 3 with Milwaukee. St. Louis and Pitt then meet again at the end of the month.

Neither St. Louis nor Pitt has it too rough but the Pirates seem to have the toughest of the 3 on paper.

On the Wild Card side, Arizona has 3 with the Mets, 3 with Baltimore, 3 @ Pittsburgh, 4 @ the Reds, 3 @ Philadelphia. This seems the hardest of the bunch.
    Last edited by klw; 08-07-2013 at 09:56 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: It's moving time

We will be in first place by August 25.

4. Likes:

bigredmechanism (08-13-2013),KC2135 (08-08-2013),mattfeet (08-07-2013),RedsLvr (08-15-2013),Tommyjohn25 (08-07-2013),WildcatFan (08-12-2013)

If not already, that series against the D'backs can pretty much solidify a playoff spot.

Reds start this period 7 back of Pittsburgh and 3 back of the Cards but 4.5 up on Arizona for the 2nd Wild Card. Reds entered fresh after winning two straight over the A 's and continue by winning the Padres opener.

Fri, Aug 9 Vs San Diego. Reds win 7-2.
    Sat, Aug 10 vs San Diego Cingrani (5-1) Ross (2-5)
    Sun, Aug 11 vs San Diego Leake (10-5) Kennedy (4-8)

Mon, Aug 12 @ Cubs Latos (11-3) Rusin (1-1)
    Tue, Aug 13 @ Cubs Bailey (6-10) Samardzija (6-10)
    Wed, Aug 14 @ Cubs

Thu, Aug 15 @ Milwaukee
    Fri, Aug 16 @ Milwaukee
    Sat, Aug 17 @ Milwaukee
    Sun, Aug 18 @ Milwaukee

Mon, Aug 19 vs Arizona
    Tue, Aug 20 vs Arizona
    Wed, Aug 21 vs Arizona
    Thu, Aug 22 vs Arizona

Fri, Aug 23 vs Milwaukee
    Sat, Aug 24 vs Milwaukee
    Sun, Aug 25 vs Milwaukee

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

If they're going to make a run, this looks like the time it needs to happen.

What would they need to legitimately get back in the division hunt? A 14-3 run? Maybe 13-4 with some help from others?
    Rounding third and heading for home...

NOW is the time for sure. We got Broxton and Hanigan back, we get Luddy back in a few days, MUST make a move now. Those 4 games we gave away out west hurt, we'd be only 2 games back behind Pitt and we'd 2 games up on the Cards. They'd be feeling the pressure even more. 6 games out of 1st and 2 behind the Cards now. Sweeping the Pads would help, then putting it on the Cubs would be sweet. This team really needs to reel off a winning streak like the Braves and Tigers.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Swagger View Post
    This team really needs to reel off a winning streak like the Braves and Tigers.
    I think that's asking a bit much, because those streaks rarely happen. We just need to win each of these series and hopefully throw in a sweep or two. I think a bigger factor is the weight on the shoulders of the Pirates. I don't expect a collapse similar to last year's, but at some point they're going to start feeling that 20-year old monkey on their backs. Maybe around the time the D'backs come to town.

Reds take two of first three and have picked up two games on Pitts and one on St. Louis and Arizona.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Fri, Aug 9 Vs San Diego. Reds win 7-2.
    Sat, Aug 10 vs San Diego Loss 1-3
    Sun, Aug 11 vs San Diego. Win 3-2

Mon, Aug 12 @ Cubs Latos (11-3) Rusin (1-1)
    Tue, Aug 13 @ Cubs Bailey (6-10) Samardzija (6-10)
    Wed, Aug 14 @ Cubs

Thu, Aug 15 @ Milwaukee
    Fri, Aug 16 @ Milwaukee
    Sat, Aug 17 @ Milwaukee
    Sun, Aug 18 @ Milwaukee

Mon, Aug 19 vs Arizona
    Tue, Aug 20 vs Arizona
    Wed, Aug 21 vs Arizona
    Thu, Aug 22 vs Arizona

Fri, Aug 23 vs Milwaukee
    Sat, Aug 24 vs Milwaukee
    Sun, Aug 25 vs Milwaukee

11. Likes:

BillDoran (08-12-2013),LexRedsFan (08-11-2013),Tom Servo (08-12-2013)

If The Reds win every series that'll be a 10-4 streak. Doable, with only a little more offense.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

I think if we want to make a BIG move, sweeping the Cubs is important. We don't have to make a big move.

Reds need a bat or several guys to heat up. They aren't going to reach escape velocity hitting like this.

15. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (08-12-2013),OnBaseMachine (08-11-2013),VR (08-11-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Reds need a bat or several guys to heat up. They aren't going to reach escape velocity hitting like this.
    I think putting Ludwick in this lineup, and moving BP to leadoff or #2.....is going to make one heck of a difference. We know the pitching will show up, like the sun rises.....but it is time for some bats to star raking. Consistently.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Worth The Wait

Definitely get the feeling that if we are going to make a real push it has to happen now. I think we have the #2 WC on lockdown...I think it's a given. Now I'm only concerned with making one more serious push at the Central and maybe taking the #1 WC as a consolation. But it seems the table is set for us to make a move right now.

1. Ludwick returns
    2. Cards-Pirates play each other this week, so we are guaranteed to make up ground if we win
    3. Our schedule is soft with the Cubs and Crew this week

I think the time is now because we can make a move in the next week or two and then can afford to dip a little without it being a disaster. If you wait until September to try and make up 5 games over two teams then you almost zero margin for an error and one off week equals that's all she wrote.

Make the move now, get to within a game or two by the last week of August and then we can really see who's boss over the last five weeks of the season.

If the Reds can do this the next 11 games:

at Chicago 2-1
    at Milwaukee 3-1
    Arizona 3-1
    Milwaukee 2-1

They'll be 19 games over .500 heading into St. Louis with momentum and a season series to even up.

Meanwhile, the Cards get:
    3 at home vs Pit - they'll respond here I think.
    6 on the road at Chicago and Milwaukee. I hope they lose at least one game each series.
    4 at home vs Atlanta. Hopefully the Braves stay hot.

Without Molina, perhaps they start playing merely .500 ball. The Reds could conceivably overtake them in these next 2 weeks.

Also meanwhile the Rats have a tougher roe to hoe:
    3 at St. Louis
    3 at home with AZ. Hoping for an AZ sweep here then we put it on AZ ourselves.
    7 back on the road with the Pads and Giants. Anything can happen here. Pirates could go 2-5 on this trip.

4-9 on this stretch would mean the Reds have a shot at tying them. Remember the year closes out with 6 games vs the Pirates, so getting close will be enough.

As of August 26th, the Reds will need to play 3 at St. Louis, 3 in Colorado, 4 vs St. Louis, and 3 vs the Dodgers. Getting in good shape now will be a great way to enter this tougher stretch. I really think the Reds are due some positive regression against teams like Pit, St. Louis and LAD, so I'm not too concerned overall.

The next chunk of games is vs Chi, Mil, and Houston, then it's 6 of 9 against the Pirates to close out the year!

DO IT!

19. Likes:

traderumor (08-12-2013)

This offense makes it feel like bowel-"moving time."

21. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (08-12-2013),WVRedsFan (08-12-2013)

Turn Off Ads?