Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Cingrani's Innings

Cingrani's Innings

Are they going to become an issue?

He is currently at 114 IP. Last year he threw 146. Not sure what his combined innings were (college+minors) in 2011, but my guess is it was less than that as he was a reliever in college. He turned 24 last month.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cingrani's Innings

Hmmmm interesting/great question. I haven't heard any talk of it but it may not be an issue if/when/ever Cueto comes back.

He has around 10 more starts, if Cueto never comes back. That's hopefully around 65 more innings. That would put him at around 180. Even Tom Verducci wouldn't have a problem with that. He's likely a reliever in the postseason, so it doesn't seem to be an issue. If Cueto comes back it's even less of an issue.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Quote Originally Posted by Trajinous View Post
    Hmmmm interesting/great question. I haven't heard any talk of it but it may not be an issue if/when/ever Cueto comes back.
    I haven't heard anything recently, what is the supposed plan for cueto?
    Just call me Legs

I want to say 20% is the industry standard for increasing a young pitcher's innings. If I'm actually remembering that correctly, it would make 175 IP Cingrani's target.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Hamilton's Legs View Post
    I haven't heard anything recently, what is the supposed plan for cueto?
    IIRC he hasn't started throwing yet but feels fine.

Lets hold him back for next year like the Nats did Strausberg. That way he's ready for the World Series next year.

9. Likes:

BungleBengals (08-08-2013),Hoosier Red (08-08-2013)

Cingrani is 24. Most of these inning limit discussion are usually applied to kids 23 and under. I don't think the 30 inning rule is so important with a guy his age. I actually believe in adhering to it as a guideline for kids who may still be developing physically (like Homer Bailey in 2009), but I don't think it really applies to a 24 year old. Obviously you don't want a 75 or 80 inning jump, but if he pushes to 185 to 200 innings, not a big deal IMO.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    IIRC he hasn't started throwing yet but feels fine.
    And the problem based on the radio booth discussion yesterday, is that they're running out of minor league games for rehab starts. If he's not ready to start throwing yet, it's going to be tough to get him a rehab start. Unless someone makes the playoffs (maybe Dayton's 2nd half), all the teams are done on September 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    And the problem based on the radio booth discussion yesterday, is that they're running out of minor league games for rehab starts. If he's not ready to start throwing yet, it's going to be tough to get him a rehab start. Unless someone makes the playoffs (maybe Dayton's 2nd half), all the teams are done on September 2nd.
    I wouldn't think that's that big of a deal though. Have him throw a few simulated games to the September call ups. That much being said, I certainly wouldn't count on him as much of a starter for the playoffs and I'd definitely not like bringing him in from the pen where he's unfamiliar.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

This was the latest update I could find:

https://twitter.com/johnfayman
    John Fay ‏@johnfayman 6 Aug
    RT @jbobb2: @johnfayman @Cincienquirer what is the status on Cueto?//Not throwing yet

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Cingrani is 24. Most of these inning limit discussion are usually applied to kids 23 and under. I don't think the 30 inning rule is so important with a guy his age. I actually believe in adhering to it as a guideline for kids who may still be developing physically (like Homer Bailey in 2009), but I don't think it really applies to a 24 year old. Obviously you don't want a 75 or 80 inning jump, but if he pushes to 185 to 200 innings, not a big deal IMO.
    Just a note based on our last promising young left-hander, who was 23 in the first year cited here. Travis Wood threw 102.2 innings of 1.08 WHIP for us in 2010, after throwing 100 for Louisville=total of 202.2. Next year threw 106 of 1.49 for the Reds. Has since, arguably, returned to promise of 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    The Reds are playing the Cubs and Astros in September though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Are they going to become an issue?

He is currently at 114 IP. Last year he threw 146. Not sure what his combined innings were (college+minors) in 2011, but my guess is it was less than that as he was a reliever in college. He turned 24 last month.
    Just to get the innings thing fully nailed down:

2011 in college at Rice, Cingrani pitched 57 innings, and another 51 in the minors, for a total of 108.

2012 in the minors for 146, plus 5 innings with the Reds for 151.

Even using the Verducci effect measurements, I think he can do 181 this year. Given his current total of 114, he should be OK for 67 more innings, which would be 10 or 11 starts of 6 or 7 innings each.

Given that the Reds only have 48 regular season games left, and that he will only start at most 10 more times (once every 5 games), all that should be done is to keep an eye on things, and maybe take him out if his pitch count is particularly high.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Turn Off Ads?