Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Meanwhile, in the nations capital.

Re: Meanwhile, in the nations capital.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Like others said, the Nats could have managed Strasberg's innings better. Instead they just kept running him out there till midnight. There were other ways to solve the problem that were more congruent with team goals.

How does a players manager bring the hammer down when its necessary?
    I agree they could have spread him out so that he would be available. But shutting him down was the right call.

Honestly, I don't think anyone really anticipated they'd win 97 games. Perhaps they should have prepared for the possibility of needing him in the postseason and delayed/spread him out better, but in their explanation, they were advised that it was best to keep him on a normal schedule throughout the season, so they opted against it.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Worth The Wait

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    Putting anything other than player safety first is stupid for the goals of an organization.

You cannot and should not be purposely putting players at risk. That will be the quickest way to lose games and make players not trust your organization. Doing the smart thing for Strasburg's future is doing the smart thing for the Nationals' future.
    The best thing for the future of Strasburg's arm is probably to never throw a baseball again.

4. Likes:

Big Klu (08-09-2013),Donder (08-08-2013),wlf WV (08-08-2013)

They got bounced in the lds, not sure having their ace would have guaranteed a trophy, and if he rips his arm off the naysayers come down on them from the other side.
    Go Gators!

Worth The Wait

To address the point of the thread....I'd term the Reds season as somewhat disappointing at this juncture with the possibility of it still being a great year or a bad year. The Nats season is currently a disaster and their chances to change that appear to be running out.

They should never have let Teddy Roosevelt win.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

8. Likes:

cumberlandreds (08-08-2013),pahster (08-08-2013),RichRed (08-08-2013),Tom Servo (08-08-2013)

Putting anything other than player safety first is stupid for the goals of an organization.

You cannot and should not be purposely putting players at risk. That will be the quickest way to lose games and make players not trust your organization. Doing the smart thing for Strasburg's future is doing the smart thing for the Nationals' future.
    Derp.....let him start a few weeks or a month into the season. You wouldn't need "experts" to figure out where he needed to start to potentially pitch thru the World Series. A savvy 4th grader could get there.....yet the organization, most of baseball and most general manager wanna bees on here and other sites approved of their decision.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    Good thing the Reds got Choo and they got Span. Almost didn't happen that way.
    Yeah. Dodged a bullet there.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

I agree they could have spread him out so that he would be available. But shutting him down was the right call.
    I completely disagree with this. I can understand how a knowledgeable baseball fan like yourself feels this way -- you are not alone -- but I would be willing to bet anything that most people who are in the game (coaches, players, front office personnel) as well as most fans who study the game closely would disagree that the Nats made the right move in shutting down Strasburg. You just don't have playoff opportunities automatically fall in your lap every season -- as the Nats are finding out the hard way this year.

Furthermore, there is absolutely no proof that there is a certain amount of innings that a pitcher can't reach after Tommy John surgery. For some pitchers, it might be 130 innings the following year. Others could probably reach 200 no problem. Every athlete is different. I know it was torn ACLs in the cases of Adrian Peterson and Derrick Rose, but just think for a moment how differently those two athletes recovered (physically and mentally) from the exact same injury. Peterson plays the very next year and has a remarkable season. Rose sits out the entire season! And while basketball is a contact sport, it's not exactly on the level of being a RB in the NFL (the most grueling position in sports judging by average shelf life).

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Lot of buzz the past month about the disappointing, mediocre, ready to check out, depressing season the Reds have been having.
    Wow, I guess I've missed all that.

After the fit Rizzo threw over the 2015 All-Star Game, I'm glad his team has imploded.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I thought of that as well. I think last season the Nats overachieved. I think many thought they would be a contending team not the best team in baseball. I think the same of the Pirates this seasons. Many thought they would be good, but not this good.
    Pittsburgh makes very few mistakes and their pitching is solid, to say the least. They will not wow anyone, but they sure know how to play the game. Kind of like the Cardinals. Get them on, move them around, and score. Hate the Bucs, but I have to admit. They play the game well. The Reds needs to get back to that.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Posnanski also writing on the Nationals:

http://www.nbcsports.com/joe-posnans...hey-play-games
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

16. Likes:

westofyou (08-08-2013)

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    I completely disagree with this. I can understand how a knowledgeable baseball fan like yourself feels this way -- you are not alone -- but I would be willing to bet anything that most people who are in the game (coaches, players, front office personnel) as well as most fans who study the game closely would disagree that the Nats made the right move in shutting down Strasburg. You just don't have playoff opportunities automatically fall in your lap every season -- as the Nats are finding out the hard way this year.

Furthermore, there is absolutely no proof that there is a certain amount of innings that a pitcher can't reach after Tommy John surgery. For some pitchers, it might be 130 innings the following year. Others could probably reach 200 no problem. Every athlete is different. I know it was torn ACLs in the cases of Adrian Peterson and Derrick Rose, but just think for a moment how differently those two athletes recovered (physically and mentally) from the exact same injury. Peterson plays the very next year and has a remarkable season. Rose sits out the entire season! And while basketball is a contact sport, it's not exactly on the level of being a RB in the NFL (the most grueling position in sports judging by average shelf life).
    The crystal ball... I love it! The crystal ball guarantees Strasburg would have made the difference against the Cardinals... and even if his arm blew up prior to or during that series. Perhaps it tells us that he would have pitched that 9th inning and gotten that elusive save. Or maybe that 9th inning and/or game would not have been played b/c Strasburg would have created a sweep for the Nats. The future and the health of this great athlete be damned b/c the crystal ball knows all. It even knows that a RB's knee is the same as a pitcher's throwing arm.

I love crystal balls. They know more than doctors. They even saw Dorothy, the Tin Man, the Strawman and the Cowardly Lion in some movie. I need one.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    The crystal ball... I love it! The crystal ball guarantees Strasburg would have made the difference against the Cardinals... and even if his arm blew up prior to or during that series. Perhaps it tells us that he would have pitched that 9th inning and gotten that elusive save. Or maybe that 9th inning and/or game would not have been played b/c Strasburg would have created a sweep for the Nats. The future and the health of this great athlete be damned b/c the crystal ball knows all. It even knows that a RB's knee is the same as a pitcher's throwing arm.

I love crystal balls. They know more than doctors. They even saw Dorothy, the Tin Man, the Strawman and the Cowardly Lion in some movie. I need one.
    ??? Show me where I said Strasburg definitely would have made the difference. (Hint: You'll be looking for a while.)

My only point is that we DON'T KNOW what would have happened. But nice try putting words in my mouth with the "crystal ball" nonsense and then whatever juvenile rumblings you added after that. I completely disagree with the notion that the Nats DEFINITELY made the right call in shutting Strasburg down.

You up to speed now?

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post

There's no proof of anything, but the doctors they sought advice from gave them their medical opinion that it was not a good idea to pitch Strasburg a full workload. While there is no set magical number, the Nationals still went beyond the original number, and only shut him down after he showed signs of falling apart. Remember he gave up five runs in two of his last three starts, and several people that saw him in those starts say he looked "done."

I can't find the articles, but there are a lot of people in the baseball world that agreed with the Nationals. Jayson Stark had several columns last year where a lot of scouts or executives interviewed off the record shared the sentiments that it was a good idea to limit Strasburg's innings. That's not to say, again, there was a magical number, but that the Nats were doing the right thing.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Turn Off Ads?