Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Underrated or Forgotten Hitters

Re: Underrated or Forgotten Hitters

Someone mentioned Vada Pinson. He's not forgotten around here, but he gets no respect elsewhere. Around 2800 hits and he's not in the HOF. Compare his stats to guys like Ozzie Smith. Smith was a great fielder, but his bat was nothing more than average. Pinson got the shaft as far as the HOF is concerned.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Ken Singleton
    Hal McRae
    Greg Luzinski
    Gary Gaetti
    Dusty Baker
    Bill Buckner
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    Bob Watson - Almost 7000 PAs - .295/.364/.447 - 129 OPS+
    Chili Davis: almost 10k PA's, OPS+ of 121. He hit 350 HR, despite the fact that he only had 30 in a season once. HOF? Nah, not even close. Still, the guy had a respectable career as a hitter.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

5. Likes:

RadfordVA (08-09-2013)

I've mentioned this on other threads, but Al Oliver, Larry Hisle, and Gene Tenace all played on the same American Legion team. What a loaded lineup that must have been!
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

7. Likes:

cumberlandreds (08-09-2013)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

B.J. Surhoff
    Kevin Seitzer
    Greg Colbrunn
    Wally Joyner
    Buddy Bell
    Ken Griffey Jr. (2000-2008)
    Oddibe McDowell
    Tino Martinez
    Last edited by WrongVerb; 08-09-2013 at 08:43 AM.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Jimmy Wynn would have hit 500 home runs if he had played for the Reds or if he had played for the Braves early in his career.

10. Likes:

cumberlandreds (08-09-2013),George Anderson (08-09-2013),mth123 (08-09-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    I've mentioned this on other threads, but Al Oliver, Larry Hisle, and Gene Tenace all played on the same American Legion team. What a loaded lineup that must have been!
    I think you find a lot of that throughout professional sports. Great players are identified very early on and put onto all-star teams from which a few might make it all the way to the top of their sport. It's the same way in football. Most of those guys have known each other, or known of each other, since middle school (or even before). Basketball has AAU, among others.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by Hap View Post
    Jimmy Wynn would have hit 500 home runs if he had played for the Reds or if he had played for the Braves early in his career.
    One of best nicknames of all time; The Toy Cannon.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    One of best nicknames of all time; The Toy Cannon.
    Wynn might be the poster child for most underrated hitter. His numbers were incredible considering he playing most of his career in the Astrodome. He was in the Reds system at one time which I didnt realize.

On the subject of underrated Astros hitters, I submit Jose Cruz.
    Last edited by George Anderson; 08-09-2013 at 11:22 AM.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Another Cincinnati product, Tim Naehring (LaSalle HS/Miami University) was no slouch at the plate either, for an infielder, posting a slash line of .282/.365/.420/.785 before having to retire due to an injured shoulder.
    sorry we're boring

In the Dave Parker thread it was mentioned that Parker was arguably the best OF of the 70's which led me to messing around on fangraphs with WAR leaders around that time.

Anyone want to guess the #1 ranked OF in terms of WAR from 1975-1985? It surprised me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hap View Post
    Wynn was also involved in a trade that included two other guys mentioned in this thread. In '75, he was traded with Lee Lacy, Tom Paciorek, and Jerry Royster to the Braves for Ed Goodson and a fella by the name of Dusty Baker.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post

Mike "Hit Man" Easler

His career wasn't as long as Oliver and probably not as good. But still a very good hitter. His best days were with the Pirates and Red Sox.

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/E/Peaslm001.htm
    Easler appeared in only 112 total games prior to his age 29 season. Unusual for a guy who would finish with a career OPS of .804. Talk about a late bloomer.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Robin Ventura was a very good hitter
    Amos Otis
    Dom DiMaggio was overshadowed by his brother, but a good player in his own right
    Carney Lansford led the league in batting average one year
    Jay Buhner
    Ken Phelps was pretty good for a guy that didn't play a ton (132 OPS+)

Frank Robinson, Curt Flood, Vada Pinson, and Bill Russell (the Celtics HOFer, not the Dodgers SS) were all high school teammates in Oakland.

Robbie once said in an interview that he was a better basketball player than Russell was a baseball player.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

20. Likes:

Always Red (08-09-2013)

Turn Off Ads?