Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Underrated or Forgotten Hitters

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Underrated or Forgotten Hitters

I think the thread title is somewhat self-explanatory, though obviously the concept of being underrated is subjective and by mere mention here, these players are not really 'forgotten'. But I think you get what I'm going for. These are a players who would often elict an "oh yeah" reaction when brought up among top baseball hitters in history, as opposed to being listed or remembered outright.

Dolph Camili - In an era where walks were seen as unequal to hits and strikeouts as the ultimate sin, Camili's game had to infuriate purists who believe in hitting and making contact, not walking and striking out. From 1934 to 1941 he had a line of .286/.396/515/.911 and averaged 25 HRs, with two 1.000+ .OPS seasons. That's damn impressive, strikeouts be damned.

Sid Gordon - Sid Gordon played his first full MLB season for the New York Giants in 1943 at age 25. He spent 1944 and 1945 serving his country in the United States Coast Guard during World War II. Now 28 in 1946, Gordon put up a .290./386./481/.867 line from 1946-1954, up until his age 36 season. For his work he received anti-Semitism, a few token MVP votes, and just two All-Star appearances. He wasn't even an All-Star in his .960 OPS season of 1950, while Dick Sisler and Johnny Wyrostek were.

Cecil Cooper - Being only 23 years old, Cecil played before my time. I knew he was a former player but knew him simply as the Astros manager. I was pretty surprised to see what a good hitter he was, averaging an .851 OPS from 75-83 with a few Gold Gloves to his credit as well.

Rusty Greer - The man who inspired me to create this thread. He randomly popped into my head earlier and I decided to look at his numbers. Whoa. He only had 7 healthy seasons, 9 in total, but in those 7 seasons had a line of .307/.392/.486, good for an .878 OPS.

Tim Salmon - From 1993 to 2000, Salmon had a .928 OPS with 228 HR's. But he eclipsed the 100 RBI mark 'only' two times, and while he was Mr. Angel, he was often overlooked in favor of teammates Garet Anderson, Troy Glaus, and Mo Vaughn's RBI totals and Jim Edmonds similar game and hot dog catches. He never appeared in a single All-Star game and has only a 1993 Rookie of the Year and a 1995 Silver Slugger award to his name.

Richie Sexson - Nobody ever talks about 'Big Sexy', perhaps in part because he played in the 'unremarkable' markets (no offense intended) of Cleveland/Arizona/Milwaukee/Seattle during his career before finishing with a whimper in New York with the Yankees in 2008 at 'only' age 33. But before heading to Safeco field in 2005, Sexson had a career .877 OPS with 200 home runs by age 29. He had his flaws, but possessed a respectable batting average and obviously prodigious power. The HR's were still there in 05/06 with Seattle as he hit 39 and 34 respectively, but he cratered in 2007 and was out of the league before the end of 2008.

Carlos Delgado - It feels kind of silly to say a guy who had 477 career HR's and just retired 4 years ago is underrated, but I really think people tend to forget just what a dominant hitter Delgado was. A career .929 OPS with two ridiculously stat sheet filling seasons in 2000 and 2003 with a 1.000+ OPS

Magglio Ordonez - Daddy Mags always seemed to fly under the radar, but man could he rake. A career .309 hitter with over 2000 career hits, Ordonez's 2007 season sticks out with 54 doubles, .363 batting average, and a 1.000+ OPS. Jose Canseco has accused him of PED use, but Jose Canseco says a lot of things.

J.D. Drew - He never could live up the insane hype his 1998 rookie season generated, but for a guy reviled by multiple fanbases, he managed a damn good career while constantly battling injuries. A career .873 OPS with two seasons of a 1.000+ OPS and a near .400 OBP from 1998-2009. Probably deserves a rose or two thrown his way instead of the batteries.

Feel free to provide feedback or add your own hitters!
    Last edited by Tom Servo; 08-08-2013 at 01:30 PM.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Re: Underrated or Forgotten Hitters

John Olerud was lights out. Eric Chavez has a ton of hits. Polonco had a really nice run.

That's a good list.

Al Oliver is someone that the younger RZer's probbaly know very little to nothing about. He ended his career with over 2700 hits and .303 lifetime average. He played the bulk of his career with the Pirates and Rangers. One of the best line drive hitters I ever remember.

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/O/Poliva001.htm

Mike "Hit Man" Easler

His career wasn't as long as Oliver and probably not as good. But still a very good hitter. His best days were with the Pirates and Red Sox.

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/E/Peaslm001.htm
    Last edited by cumberlandreds; 08-08-2013 at 01:26 PM.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

4. Likes:

BoxingRed (08-09-2013),mth123 (08-08-2013)

Bill Madlock
    Dick Allen
    Richie Zisk
    Ted Simmons
    Ken Singleton
    Kent Hrbeck
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

6. Likes:

BoxingRed (08-09-2013),cumberlandreds (08-08-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post

Mike "Hit Man" Easler

His career wasn't as long as Oliver and probably not as good. But still a very good hitter. His best days were with the Pirates and Red Sox.

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/E/Peaslm001.htm
    Easler appeared in only 112 total games prior to his age 29 season. Unusual for a guy who would finish with a career OPS of .804. Talk about a late bloomer.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Cecil Cooper - Being only 23 years old, Cecil played before my time. I knew he was a former player but knew him simply as the Astros manager. I was pretty surprised to see what a good hitter he was, averaging an .851 OPS from 75-83 with a few Gold Gloves to his credit as well.
    Here is a nice SI piece from back in 1980 about Cooper's great season being overshadowed by George Brett. cooper was one of my favorite players back then. His later stance was open with the bat resting easily and loose in his hands- I copied it for awhile. He and Ben Ogilive both put up amazing numbers in 1980 for the Brewers.
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/aw...80.shtml#ALmvp

Cooper's weird batting stance is patterned after that of another hard-hitting first baseman, Rod Carew. "It's the same swing, same everything. Mine is just opened up more," Cooper says. "Before I found this one, I used to go through three or four different stances a game."

Cooper, wiry-strong at 6'2" and 190 pounds, has one edge over Carew—power; he had 21 homers at the end of last week. But until this season he never had a Carew-like average because he relied too much on his hands and wrists when he was hitting. Pitchers knew Cooper could be had by high, inside deliveries. Now he has moved an extra six inches away from the plate, enabling him to get his bat around on the pitches that were once his weakness.

Not that that explains his extraordinary season. As Cooper readily admits, when you're hot, you're lucky. "Everything has just fallen into place," he says. "There have been days when I was feeling awful. I got hits. Once I got brushed back and the ball hit my bat and rolled past the pitcher toward short. It was a perfect bunt."

As for underrated, there is always Albert Belle though maybe overshadowed by himself might be a better term. Oddly I would also say Frank Thomas is somehow underrated.
    Last edited by klw; 08-08-2013 at 01:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Here is a nice SI piece from back in 1980 about Cooper's great season being overshadowed by George Brett. cooper was one of my favorite players back then. His later stance was open with the bat resting easily and loose in his hands- I copied it for awhile. He and Ben Ogilive both put up amazing numbers in 1980 for the Brewers.
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/aw...80.shtml#ALmvp

After Madlock, Cooper was the first to come to mind. His problem was playing in Milwaukee and not receiving a whole lot of notoriety other than the AL pennant winning team in 1982. He was a great hitter though.

I just met him at an Indianapolis Indians game a few weeks ago. Very nice and funny man.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Mickey Vernon

Roy Sievers

Alvin Davis

Richie Zisk and Al Oliver were two that came to mind for me, as well.

Also:

Tony Oliva
    Richie Hebner
    Chet Lemon
    Amos Otis
    Reggie Smith
    -Air Supply

Tim Hummel

The Evanses - Dwight and Darrell. Walk machines with power.

Paul Konerko has quietly put together a nice career.

I thought Carew was going to hit .400 in '77. You also should mention Wade Boggs. He may not be forgotten, but definitely underrated.

Mike Greenwell. Career line of .303/.368/.463 and an OPS+ of 121 but out of MLB by age 33. His biggest crime is that he played LF for the Red Sox and had the misfortune of not being Ted Williams, Yaz, or Jim Rice.

How about our very own Dmitri Young?
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    How about our very own Dmitri Young?
    I definitely considered including Da Meat Hook. He was an interesting mix of hitting .300 while also having power to all fields. Still I feel like there should have been a bit moer of either category, ya know?

Roy Sievers, Dick Allen, Sal Bando, and Mike Greenwell are all guys who caught my eye, but I didn't feel I could accurately assess their level of forgotten-ness. I know my dad has told me about how good Roy Sievers, Dick Allen, and Mike Greenwell were, so I guess that disqualifed them in my book.

Eric Chavez is interesting too because he came to my mind but I looked at his career line and said "pass", but now that I look closer, his line for 00-05 was damn good.

“I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Turn Off Ads?