Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Covington

Covington

Hey All,

Sorry i'm sure there is all ready posts on this i just can't find any.

For my trip to Cincy, the poor reviews of the hotel i was due to stay at had gotten to me so i decided to cancel and have now booked to stay 11 nights in Covington instead.

I know little about Covington but just need to know if it is a safe place to stay as i intend to walk every where within reason and what it's like? Is there any place i should go for a feed or beer?

You're feedback would be good as apart from going to the games i know no one and have nothing else planned so need to occupy my time some how.
    Melbourne to Cincinnati - September 1st - 12th 2013

2. Turn Off Ads?
    rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Re: Covington

Covington is okay. I lived there for a while, it's relatively safe as far as I'm concerned. I never had any problems.

For food and drinking, just head down to the Mainstrasse strip. There a lot of really good bars and restaurants there. Check out the pizza place around there (not Lucy Blue's though they are good too) it's some of the best I've had.

4. Likes:

Australian Red (08-08-2013)

Dee Felice Cafe. Cajun food. Check it out.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

6. Likes:

Australian Red (08-08-2013),Chip R (08-09-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Australian Red View Post
    Hey All,

Sorry i'm sure there is all ready posts on this i just can't find any.

For my trip to Cincy, the poor reviews of the hotel i was due to stay at had gotten to me so i decided to cancel and have now booked to stay 11 nights in Covington instead.

I know little about Covington but just need to know if it is a safe place to stay as i intend to walk every where within reason and what it's like? Is there any place i should go for a feed or beer?

You're feedback would be good as apart from going to the games i know no one and have nothing else planned so need to occupy my time some how.
    ANy particular interests besides Reds baseball?

Quote Originally Posted by Spazzrico View Post
    ANy particular interests besides Reds baseball?
    Any Sport, Travel, Music and Drinking.

I will obviously be looking to check out downtown Cincy as well, will most likely spend a lot of time walking around aimlessly waiting for the baseball to start most days

Do you like to drink like a good aussie should? Perhaps I should come up with a bloke or two and show you how much fun covington can be...

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Do you like to drink like a good aussie should? Perhaps I should come up with a bloke or two and show you how much fun covington can be...

Well we have to be talented at something haha

11. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (08-11-2013),WMR (08-09-2013)

I've not found a bad hotel in Covington. Lotta fast food near the hotels, and the Mainstrasse is real close. There is a pub there called The Cock and Bull I like. Public transportatipn is provided. Check out TANK http://www.tankbus.org/ particularly the Southbank Shuttle.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

13. Likes:

Australian Red (08-11-2013)

Check out Kung Food Chu's Amerasia. It's on Madison, not far from MainStrasse. Solid Chinese food, awesome beer selection, and killer ambiance (Bruce Lee posters and grafitti adorn the walls. The first time I went there, they had an old school Godzilla movie muted on the TV with the Beastie Boys playing on the stereo).
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

15. Likes:

Australian Red (08-11-2013),camisadelgolf (08-10-2013)

It won't be hard to miss the Banks by the stadiums. Vine St. in OTR has some excellent places to eat and drink day and night. Go to Arnolds, the oldest bar in Cincinnati. You might be able to catch a Bengals preseason game? Kings Island is pretty fun if you want to go on a Tuesday morning or something you'll likely not have to wait for any rides. I haven't been in forever, but understand they've got some great rides. Mt. Adams is a unique area to view the whole downtown area from high up, and they've got the art museum and Eden Park which are both great. Union Terminal isn't far from downtown and the building itself is really cool.

17. Likes:

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    Check out Kung Food Chu's Amerasia. It's on Madison, not far from MainStrasse. Solid Chinese food, awesome beer selection, and killer ambiance (Bruce Lee posters and grafitti adorn the walls. The first time I went there, they had an old school Godzilla movie muted on the TV with the Beastie Boys playing on the stereo).
    I've never been to this place so I looked up their website with their menu. Eventually I checked out their location on their site and clicked on reviews. Unfortunately, these kind of reviews would stop me from going there:

"Food tasted amazing, but towards end of my meal, found bug inside my beer 3/4 of the way down. When I told what happened to the "general manager", he said he would give 50% off the beer lol what a joke!!! I was thinking to myself..."this guy is really going to make me pay for something that had a bug in it"...upon feeling sick to my stomache, he then proceeds to "educate" me on the biology of bugs and how I couldn't possibly get sick from one (which in most cases...probably true!) ...but to go on to insult me with names like "stupid"...I knew this argument was definitely not worth it. Owners of the restaurant seemed to passive aggressively ignore the entire situation and when confronted...took the back of their rude associate. Will NOT go back there. Great food but absolutely horrific customer service experience."

"Absolute terrible service this evening. We ordered two entrees. One of them was the special the bartender recommended. After we finished he came back to us and told us he gave us the wrong meal and it was intended for another table. The special was some type of beef dish with veggies and the plate he brought out was the filet with veggies. Very similar dishes and we didn't even notice. He said we should have known it wasn't our meal and blamed us for his mistake. Then he took our bill off the bar charged us for the difference of the entree he made the mistake on and told the table right behind us he was comping their meal because we took their dish. Never been so insulted before and done so bluntly. Took everything I had not to blow up on this guy. Our second entree came out and by this point we were so shocked we just paid our total bill and still a 25% tip and left. I own two restaurants in the city and I would fire one of my employees on the spot for ever treating a patron like we were tonight. How can you accuse the patron of this mistake and even tell the table whom was expecting their meal it was our fault?!? I am still in shock as I write this review and will be back only to personally let their owner or manager know in detail of this terrible experience. It is a shame because the food is decent but will never dine there again because of what happened this evening."

19. Likes:

I work nearby, so I'm there fairly often. I've never had an experience like that. I'd encourage you to check it out for yourself, but I can understand your reluctance based on the reviews.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

21. Likes:

Cheers all thanks for the suggestions, really looking forward to getting over there.

Try to make time to visit The Freedom Center.

Will do, do they still have the Berlin wall monument? Having been to Berlin a few times i'm intrested in German history.

Turn Off Ads?