Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Is winning the division out of reach?

Re: Is winning the division out of reach?

The division became a long shot the day the Pirates joined the Cards leading the Reds.

It's just much, much harder with two teams ahead of you. You can't compare it to other races where a team overtook a single opponent. Two makes it much harder.

At this point, I'd like to see the Reds get ahead of the Cards into second place. Then take aim at the Pirates.

Being behind two good teams is very tough.
    Last edited by Kc61; 08-09-2013 at 11:06 AM.

2. Likes:

OnBaseMachine (08-09-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

5. Likes:

Tom Servo (08-09-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    The division became a long shot the day the Pirates joined the Cards leading the Reds.

It's just much, much harder with two teams ahead of you. You can't compare it to other races where a team overtook a single opponent. Two makes it much harder.

At this point, I'd like to see the Reds get ahead of the Cards into second place. Then take aim at the Pirates.

Being behind two good teams is very tough.
    Yes, this was my larger point. It's not even that the Pirates are 7 games up, which is a lot. It's that the Cards are also up 3 games on the Reds as well.

Tonight is the night for the Reds to start making their move. The Reds next 10 games are against the Padres, Cubs, and Brewers. If they can go 8-2 over that stretch, you would have to think that would be good enough to cut the deficit down to four or five games. The Pirates are still due for a cold stretch. Every time the Reds win, I get my hopes up they are finally turning things around. Well, they've won two in a row and I'm feeling optimistic. I'm predicting a sweep of the Padres this weekend.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

8. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (08-10-2013), goreds2 (08-09-2013)

Baseball's a funny game. The Reds go on a hot streak and the Pirates hit another of their late-season slumps, and it's a different picture. The odds are against it, but it's too early to give up on winning the division.

I agree with those who don't expect the Pirates to hit a late seasons slump ala 2011 or 2012. However, I also don't expect them to continue to rip off 5-6 game winning streaks.

Being behind two teams really only matters when they're playing each other a great deal. While the Bucs still play Stl 6 times, there's plenty of opportunities to make up ground on one or both in the other games through the end of the month.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

The division within reach. In fact, the Reds have it in the bag.

12. Likes:

marcshoe (08-09-2013)

People are losing track of two inevitabilities. First, As soon as football season starts, the city of Pittsburgh will insist that the Pirates lose all their remaining games so they won't distract fan attention from the Steelers. Second, as a result of the current PED cases, baseball will retroactively suspend Tony LaRussa and force the Cardinals to forfeit all games played from 1998 through 2027.

Both of these things will definitely happen. I guarantee it.

14. Likes:

Big Klu (08-09-2013), Revering4Blue (08-09-2013)

The Reds play the Pirates 6 times in the final 9 games of the season. Just keep it within striking distance.

If the Reds can get past the Cards and be within 3 or so of the Pirates when those last 9 games arrive it is definitely possible.

Quote Originally Posted by HotCorner View Post
    The Reds play the Pirates 6 times in the final 9 games of the season. Just keep it within striking distance.
    A's/Rangers last year

Man Pills

The longest of long shots. This offense isn't going to go on a tear by some act of magic.

19. Likes:

Unassisted (08-28-2013)

My mother and sister are driving to Pittsburgh Monday to take my nephew to see his heart doctor. I've asked them to take along a cursed object and bury it beneath PNC Park, but I haven't convinced them yet.

The only thing stopping the Reds from winning the division continues to be the Reds.
    Win the Division

22. Likes:

remdog (08-10-2013)

Good start to the San Diego series. The Offense came out ready to play and Arroyo came out strong, too.

Turn Off Ads?