Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Is winning the division out of reach?

Re: Is winning the division out of reach?

Is tonight's game must win to have a chance at winning the division? I honestly believe it is, regardless of what happens with the Pirates. The Reds lose tonight and they are back 5.5. If the Reds win tonight, they are 3.5 back. Huge difference. You cannot afford to get swept by the team you're chasing. It's a death wish.

Just goes to show how unfortunate that loss was on Monday.

2. Likes:

REDREAD (08-28-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Is tonight's game must win to have a chance at winning the division? I honestly believe it is, regardless of what happens with the Pirates. The Reds lose tonight and they are back 5.5. If the Reds win tonight, they are 3.5 back. Huge difference. You cannot afford to get swept by the team you're chasing. It's a death wish.

Just goes to show how unfortunate that loss was on Monday.
    The four-game series at home next week with the Cards provides an opportunity to make up ground quickly even if they do fall 5.5 games back. However, I don't think many of us have confidence in that series going well. I'd be thrilled with a split.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Yes it is. St. Louis has seized the opportunity and we have wilted. Just don't see enough strength and guts from our guys to win it outright. I think Pittsburg will fade and finish 3rd with St. Louis widening the gap in the last weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    The four-game series at home next week with the Cards provides an opportunity to make up ground quickly even if they do fall 5.5 games back. However, I don't think many of us have confidence in that series going well. I'd be thrilled with a split.
    A split of that series unfortunately won't do anything for us. They would need to win 3 games or even sweep. That's just asking an awful lot, especially if we have no Cueto/Cingrani.

This team continues to play about one game every week in which they look like they're just going through the motions, sleepwalking or whatever, and it's been that way the entire season. There's definitely a lack of leadership issue here. When I first brought it up in May, I was told those games don't matter, small sample size, etc. Well, when you add all those games up, that's a whole lot of games that "don't matter".
    "I talked to an advance scout that told me if Joey Votto and Albert Pujols were on the same team he'd advise his team to do the unthinkable...pitch around Votto to get to Pujols." - Buster Olney, ESPN

We have 5 games against STL. I am thinking 4 wins would be mandatory. A loss tonight means we're banking on a 4 game sweep to be in the mix.
    RALLY CAPS!

Mathamatically yes. But, other than the Series in San Francisco, there has been no indication since May that the Redlegs have what it takes to put on a stretch drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Mathamatically yes. But, other than the Series in San Francisco, there has been no indication since May that the Redlegs have what it takes to put on a stretch drive.
    Huh? No one has clinched anything yet. It's not looking good but things can always change.

Quote Originally Posted by Trajinous View Post
    Huh? No one has clinched anything yet. It's not looking good but things can always change.
    Of course things can change, but there has been no absolutely no evidence that they will. Or have you been seeing something that I'm missing?

We aren't even close to being mathematically eliminated. And until we are, and as long as we have head-to-head series with both the Bucs and Cards remaining, it's still anyone's ballgame.
    "I talked to an advance scout that told me if Joey Votto and Albert Pujols were on the same team he'd advise his team to do the unthinkable...pitch around Votto to get to Pujols." - Buster Olney, ESPN

Sorry I pulled a -----. Thought the question was: Is winning the division within reach? Meant to say that its certainly mathamatically within reach but I've seen no indication that the boys have what it takes to put on a drive. Sorry.

At this point, no. The way the Reds are playing they better hope they can hold on to a playoff spot.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    A split of that series unfortunately won't do anything for us. They would need to win 3 games or even sweep. That's just asking an awful lot, especially if we have no Cueto/Cingrani.
    My point is the Reds have a better chance of making up ground when they aren't playing the Cards. Other teams have had an easier time beating the Cards, like the Pirates which still have six games with them.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Of course things can change, but there has been no absolutely no evidence that they will. Or have you been seeing something that I'm missing?
    Here's my optimistic outlook.

Reds August record is 14-10. 4 of those losses were by the Cards. A 14-6 record comes out to a .700 winning percentage to teams not located in St. Louis. There are 23 games left, not including St. Louis. A .700 winning % would come out to a 16-7 record giving the Reds 90 games with the 4 games against St. Louis to be determined. The Cards need to go .560 or 14 wins for to get to 90 wins. Then if the Reds take 3 out of 4 in the last St. Louis series, the Reds would overtake Cards in the division.

It's unlikely but the Cards had a prolonged losing streak in July and the Reds have played much better this half of the season. I'm an optimistic fan and until it's mathematically done, I believe this team could pull it off. Today is a must win if they want to have some control of their destiny still.

Tonight's game is important but not a must win. I believe the Cardinals will probably play worse after this series is down, an intensity letdown.

Of course, if the Reds win and then actually play up to their potential and pay attention to what is going on in the game next week when they are home, they can still win the division. It's not over 'til that magic number is 0.
    Win the Division

Turn Off Ads?