Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Is winning the division out of reach?

Re: Is winning the division out of reach?

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    Tonight's game is important but not a must win. I believe the Cardinals will probably play worse after this series is down, an intensity letdown.

Of course, if the Reds win and then actually play up to their potential and pay attention to what is going on in the game next week when they are home, they can still win the division. It's not over 'til that magic number is 0.
    I'm saying it's a must-win if the Reds want to remain "controllers of their destiny". If they lose today, the Reds best hope is the Card's going on a losing streak. A 4-1 record out of the remaining 5 Card games gives them more control. That's why I think it's a must-win, but you're right it's not over til mathematically done.

2. Turn Off Ads?

We need to win 3 of the remaining 5 against the Cards at the very least I would think. But not too long ago we were 7 games out of first place, and right now it's 4.5. So we've made improvement, but the Cardinals just scare the bejeezus out of the Reds for whatever reason. Luckily we are done with them in a week so we can stop worrying about them and get back to winning. We've got 3 with the Astros and Mets so hopefully that can be 5-1.

I think the first two losses have basically killed our chances of catching StL.

What are our odds of winning tonight? Bad matchup for us. Homer vs Wainwright.
    Worst matchup of the series. We probably have maybe a 25% chance of winning.

The opportunity was game 1 ( minor league scrub starting for StL) and game 2 (our ace Latos on the mound). We blew it.

Sure, it's mathmatically possible for us to win the next 5 games against StL.
    Is it likely ? Nope.

I hope we win tonight just so we can have a little bit of pride as we leave StL.
    We've handed the Cards sole possession of first place..
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

I'd rather win the division, or play the Pirates in the one off. In that order.

One game against the Cards, Reds will lose 75% of the time.

Need to fend off the D-Backs and Nats at this point. Just win ballgames.

We need Chico Ruiz to accidentally steal home tonight. You know what I mean, and if you don't, google it!

The Reds will not win the division. They have played at a .500 level since late May. There is no magic switch to flip to start a winning streak. The Reds just do not have what is necessary to have a prolonged streak. They will make the playoffs, though. They may be able to overtake the Pirates for the 1st wild card, since they are playing nearly as poorly as the Reds. But the Cardinals are in 1st to stay now.

I'm willing to concede at this the point the 2013 Reds most likely aren't this year's version of the '78 Yankees-but that doesn't mean they can't still win the division.They'll really need to pick it up though.

To answer my own question, the answer is yes. 2-4 against 2 of the worst teams in baseball a few weeks before the season ends? Yeah, Reds will not be winning the division.

9. Likes:

LexRedsFan (09-15-2013), toledodan (09-16-2013)

I agree but only today was it tipped for me. The math isn't much worse than yesterday of course. But the mental lapses and pen challenges don't figure to suddenly dissipate in the next week or two enough to put together 7-10 wins that would include at least 5 of 6 from Pittsburgh.
    Reds & Nats, 2013 LCS. Take2 (9/13) Reds but no Nats

at this point my only goal for the reds is to play well enough against Pitt and the rest to get into 2nd. Getting to 1st will be tough with STL schedule and no remaining games vs them. If they sweep the Stros and take 2/3 vs the rest that should get them to 2nd. With an outside shot at 1st depending on how STL plays.

Yesterdays loss took them out of it for me. You can't lose 4 of 6 to bad teams like the Cubs and Brewers and expect to win a division. They would have to almost win out now for a division. The Reds seem incapable of winning three in a row much less 9 or 10, which is what they would need right now. Have to try to hold on to the WC spot and hope that lightening strike in the playoffs.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

13. Likes:

1940757690 (09-16-2013), toledodan (09-16-2013)

imo the best thing we can hope is the cards and pirates wear out trying to win the central. last week erased all the positives we had from the beginning of the homestand.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

Quote Originally Posted by webbbj View Post
    at this point my only goal for the reds is to play well enough against Pitt and the rest to get into 2nd. Getting to 1st will be tough with STL schedule and no remaining games vs them. If they sweep the Stros and take 2/3 vs the rest that should get them to 2nd. With an outside shot at 1st depending on how STL plays.
    Not counting the possibility of missing the playoffs altogether, the best results left are beating up on the Pirates to get the wild card game at home or that the Pirates and Cards tie and have to play the Monday following the season, with the loser then having to play us. Given the way we are sleep-walking through September, the latter seems more likely to occur.

Quote Originally Posted by toledodan View Post
    imo the best thing we can hope is the cards and pirates wear out trying to win the central. last week erased all the positives we had from the beginning of the homestand.
    Assuming the Reds get the 2nd wild card and have no chance of getting the 1st Wild Card even if they sweep PIT the last 3 games, here's a dream scenario: PIT and StL tie for the division championship forcing a 1 game playoff. Those two teams have to use the hell out of their pitching staffs for those last few games and the Reds get to set their rotation however they want. Even better, the home team wins the playoff game and the road team has to go back home to face the well-rested Reds.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

17. Likes:

RANDY IN INDY (09-16-2013)

Given our Giants performance last year (2 road wins, 3 home losses), does it even matter where the WC game is? Or further, do we want it in Pitt or SL?

Quote Originally Posted by redssince75 View Post
    Given our Giants performance last year (2 road wins, 3 home losses), does it even matter where the WC game is? Or further, do we want it in Pitt or SL?
    The Reds bullpen has been horrendous on the road. See my stats post. Reds want big games at home if possible.

Turn Off Ads?