Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How Teams Score Runs

No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar

Re: How Teams Score Runs

Quote Originally Posted by lidspinner;
    I on the other hand hate stats and I believe that your eyes and brain will never fail you when evaluating a player but stats will fail and do fail you often.......although, as I age like a fine wine I am starting to gain a little faith in a few stat categories...OPS being one, and the amount of strike outs a player has. You can tell a lot with those 2 stats.
    Do you hate batting average, HR and RBI? Those are stats.

Also... what does the number of strikeouts tell you by itself?
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

2. Turn Off Ads?
    No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    That last one is problematic on so many levels.
    Sarcasm I presume?
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

"I talked to an advance scout that told me if Joey Votto and Albert Pujols were on the same team he'd advise his team to do the unthinkable...pitch around Votto to get to Pujols." - Buster Olney, ESPN

I take the slugging lineup. Not sure if it scores more runs in the end or not but would be alot more fun to watch. Also would probably be more prone to peaks and valleys.
    Isn't this pretty much the Reds? And we know how many peaks and valleys they've had offensively this season...

Quote Originally Posted by lidspinner View Post

I on the other hand hate stats and I believe that your eyes and brain will never fail you when evaluating a player but stats will fail and do fail you often.......although, as I age like a fine wine I am starting to gain a little faith in a few stat categories...OPS being one, and the amount of strike outs a player has. You can tell a lot with those 2 stats.
    Forget stats for a moment.

Shouldn't it be intuitive that the more guys you see on base, the more runs will score?
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by RadfordVA View Post
    A team could be filled with 1.000 OBP players high slugging percentages and not score once. Found a loophole to theory.
    The Pirates started their game tonight 4-4. Didn't score in the first inning.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    The Pirates started their game tonight 4-4. Didn't score in the first inning.
    Should have gone 5-5
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

9. Likes:

Big Klu (08-10-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    If a team had a 1.000 OBP they would still be playing the first inning of the first game of the season.
    The Pirates opened the game with four consecutive singles off De La Rosa but failed to score. Leadoff man Starling Marte was picked off first base by De La Rosa after singling

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    Awake yet? Didn't want you to miss anything
    I know a lot of people are talking about his on-base percentage (.308 in 2008), but I like to think more in terms of him his in-scoring position percentage. - Our Beloved Manager

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegsToday View Post
    Isn't this pretty much the Reds? And we know how many peaks and valleys they've had offensively this season...

Actually the Reds are a higher OBP, lower SLG team (8th and 16th in MLB respectively).

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    As most of you know, I'm a multi time Nobel Prize winner. In my off time, I'm an inventor, politician, adventuring Man of Action. As the inventor of the lava lamp and that fake bird drinking water thing, I've brought love and happiness to the masses.

All that is peanuts compared to my latest discovery. After years of research, thousands of interviews, and a lot of fancy coffee I have unlocked the biggest secret of baseball: how do teams score runs?

The paper is under peer review as we speak, but since I really don't have any peers I'm going to go ahead and release my findings to you, the fine folks if RaisorZone.

Without further ado:

How Teams Score Runs: A Modest Paper by Philip Raisor.

1. Avoid Outs. (Represented by the abbreviation OBP)
    2. Collect bases. (SLG)

The End.

I'm expecting a call from Stockholm in the spring.
    This is an exiting break through!

I too have a startling paper under peer review concerning run prevention.

How are runs prevented? Through an interaction between the defense, the things a pitcher an repeatedly control (the fate of batted balls largely not one of those things) and the environment.

CNN has already tried contacting me for comments. Can you send a PM and offer some advice on how to handle the paparazzi?
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

I really thought they scored runs by not being called out.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    I really thought they scored runs by not being called out.
    In any given half inning roughly 22 men on the active roster aren't called out. Run the numbers and it just jumps off of the spreadsheet.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    This is an exiting break through!

I too have a startling paper under peer review concerning run prevention.

How are runs prevented? Through an interaction between the defense, the things a pitcher an repeatedly control (the fate of batted balls largely not one of those things) and the environment.

CNN has already tried contacting me for comments. Can you send a PM and offer some advice on how to handle the paparazzi?
    Dang it, there goes my next paper!

Hit 'em where they ain't.

Turn Off Ads?