Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Doug: Billy Hamilton's newfound "power"

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Doug: Billy Hamilton's newfound "power"

I use that term lightly, but Hamilton had 7 HRs during his first 4 professional seasons combined. This season he has 6.

And Louisville's park has deep dimensions -- it's known as a pitcher's park.

Are some of these inside-the-parkers? Guessing at least 4-5 have gone over the fence though. That has to be a good sign that he's getting more pop in his bat.

To be clear, I'm not saying I want Billy to be a guy that ever goes up there thinking about hitting a HR. But for a guy who's been labeled a complete slap hitter with no pop, him having 6 HRs at the Triple-A level is a good sign, IMO.

Also, while he's obviously not lighting the world on fire, I think a lot of people are downplaying the solid year Hamilton is having in Triple-A. He's still just 22 and is batting .257 with a .311 OBP and a .658 OPS. (Also has 68 steals in 80 attempts.) It's a tough transition moving up to Triple-A for most young players and I think he's handling it well, especially given the fact he's learning a new position on the fly. Look how bad Neftali Soto was his first year in AAA and he was a year older last year (23) than Hamilton is now.
    Last edited by Blitz Dorsey; 08-09-2013 at 01:04 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Doug: Billy Hamilton's newfound "power"

AAA has been a serious wall for the latest crop of prospects and Hamilton's no exception. I do think he will improve next year and really hope he does well in Cincinnati in a few weeks.

I think he mostly needs another year to develop. I hope he gets it. I do hope that they bring him up for PR and occasional ABs in September. Last year I thought it was too soon, this year I think it might help him and the Reds, if he is used correctly.

Over the last month, Billy Hamilton has performed much better, to the tune of about a .700 OPS. In July, he hit .269/.337/.359/.696, and is doing quite well in the first week of August so far.

With his speed, I think that line plays at the MLB level. Hopefully he can keep it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

6. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (08-12-2013),AtomicDumpling (08-12-2013),Blitz Dorsey (08-10-2013),powersackers (08-09-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    I use that term lightly, but Hamilton had 7 HRs during his first 4 professional seasons combined. This season he has 6.

And Louisville's park has deep dimensions -- it's known as a pitcher's park.

Are some of these inside-the-parkers? Guessing at least 4-5 have gone over the fence though. That has to be a good sign that he's getting more pop in his bat.

To be clear, I'm not saying I want Billy to be a guy that ever goes up there thinking about hitting a HR. But for a guy who's been labeled a complete slap hitter with no pop, him having 6 HRs at the Triple-A level is a good sign, IMO.

Also, while he's obviously not lighting the world on fire, I think a lot of people are downplaying the solid year Hamilton is having in Triple-A. He's still just 22 and is batting .257 with a .311 OBP and a .658 OPS. (Also has 68 steals in 80 attempts.) It's a tough transition moving up to Triple-A for most young players and I think he's handling it well, especially given the fact he's learning a new position on the fly. Look how bad Neftali Soto was his first year in AAA and he was a year older last year (23) than Hamilton is now.
    Why can't I "like" this post?

In your heart you can. Nobody can take away the love you feel for that post.

9. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (08-13-2013)

Turn Off Ads?