Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alex Rios Traded to Rangers

Alex Rios Traded to Rangers

This REALLY pisses me off. http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...alex-rios.html

For a PTBNL, that the consensus seems to be Leury Garcia, a utility man with a career minor league OPS of .657. Not one of the Rangers Top 20 prospects according to John Sickels: http://www.minorleagueball.com/2013/...ects-in-review

In addition, the White Sox will kick in $1 million.

Walt couldn't have traded Henry Rodriguez for Alex Rios? Bob wouldn't have paid for it?
    Either way I'm pretty annoyed, as I think he would have been a perfect fit.
    Last edited by Benihana; 08-09-2013 at 02:42 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Alex Rios Traded to Rangers

Huh, yeah, money is tight though. I would have gone with Soto for Rios and some more cash maybe?

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Walt didn't have chance to claim him, I think.
    Doesn't he have to clear the AL first before NL teams can claim.
    (read that somewhere).
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

5. Likes:

Big Klu (08-09-2013), marcshoe (08-09-2013), mth123 (08-09-2013), REDREAD (08-09-2013)

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    This REALLY pisses me off. http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...alex-rios.html

For a PTBNL, that the consensus seems to be Leury Garcia, a utility man with a career minor league OPS of .657. Not one of the Rangers Top 20 prospects according to John Sickels: http://www.minorleagueball.com/2013/...ects-in-review

In addition, the White Sox will kick in $1 million.

Walt couldn't have traded Henry Rodriguez for Alex Rios? Bob wouldn't have paid for it?
    Either way I'm pretty annoyed, as I think he would have been a perfect fit.
    Don't be mad, the Reds never got a shot at Rios, because AL teams go first in the waiver process on AL players.

7. Likes:

Big Klu (08-09-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    Walt didn't have chance to claim him, I think.
    Doesn't he have to clear the AL first before NL teams can claim.
    (read that somewhere).
    Understood, but he did have the chance last week at the deadline. Clearly the Sox asking price wasn't THAT high.
    Go BLUE!!!

Understood, but he did have the chance last week at the deadline. Clearly the Sox asking price wasn't THAT high.
    It may have been at the time. Prior to the deadline, I'm sure there was a lot of posturing. Now that he was claimed after the deadline, they may just be desperate to get him off the books and get something in return.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

We don't really know what the asking price was a week ago. Clearly it was somewhat high because there was a weak market and Rios was one of the better players potentially available and he still didn't get traded by a last-place club.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

I guess Rios' 2014 salary was the issue then and possibly now. The Rangers won't have to deal with Cruz (who will walk) next year, but the REDS still have to pay Ludwick.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

I find it hilarious because before I went out to lunch I saw this update:

Jim Bowden of ESPN.com and SiriusXM reports that the chances of the Rangers making a trade for Alex Rios are "smaller than a bread basket."

In short, whatever Jim Bowden says, the opposite is true.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

13. Likes:

Big Klu (08-09-2013), BlackPete Ibold (08-09-2013), mdccclxix (08-09-2013)

I agree with OP. It's super cheap price for a productive player.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    In short, whatever Jim Bowden says, the opposite is true.
    Hasn't that always been the case?
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    We don't really know what the asking price was a week ago. Clearly it was somewhat high because there was a weak market and Rios was one of the better players potentially available and he still didn't get traded by a last-place club.
    Point is, as I said in my post - it wasn't THAT high. I would have paid double the value of what they just got, and I can't imagine the Sox suddenly decided they'd be willing to take less than half of what they were willing to a week ago.

I mean, come on. You can trade Rios (or Ludwick) in the offseason if you really can't afford to pay him next year. The Reds can't take on an additional $2 million this year for a playoff run? If that's the case, we should just hang 'em up.
    Last edited by Benihana; 08-09-2013 at 03:01 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    I guess Rios' 2014 salary was the issue then and possibly now. The Rangers won't have to deal with Cruz (who will walk) next year, but the REDS still have to pay Ludwick.
    I was thinking Rios had another year or two left on his contract that is very expensive. I doubt the Reds could have picked that up. Thats why I never thought he would become a Red.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Jon Daniels and Andrew Friedman continue to be really far ahead of the rest of the pack. Yes, they may not have any WS titles between them, but they are really, really good at what they do. They're moves (almost) always seem to make me jealous.
    Last edited by Benihana; 08-09-2013 at 03:06 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Point is, as I said in my post - it wasn't THAT high. I would have paid double the value of what they just got, and I can't imagine the Sox suddenly decided they'd be willing to take less than half of what they were willing to a week ago.

I mean, come on. You can trade Rios (or Ludwick) in the offseason if you really can't afford to pay him next year. The Reds can't take on an addition $2 million this year for a playoff run? If that's the case, we should just hang 'em up.
    It was high enough the Rangers, Pirates, Reds and the other teams interested in outfield help didn't trade for him 10 days ago.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

20. Likes:

Big Klu (08-09-2013), Revering4Blue (08-09-2013)

Turn Off Ads?