Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Alex Rios Traded to Rangers

Re: Alex Rios Traded to Rangers

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I find it hilarious because before I went out to lunch I saw this update:

Jim Bowden of ESPN.com and SiriusXM reports that the chances of the Rangers making a trade for Alex Rios are "smaller than a bread basket."

In short, whatever Jim Bowden says, the opposite is true.
    In fairness, I was referring to a really large bread basket, like one the size of my ego.
    -fake Jim Bowden quote
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    It was high enough the Rangers, Pirates, Reds and the other teams interested in outfield help didn't trade for him 10 days ago.
    All the more reason why the Reds (and the Pirates for that matter) should have been willing to hit the offer or pay up a bit, which I still don't believe was that high.

It's not like the Rangers interest in him was a secret back then, so you knew he would never get to the NL teams on the waiver wire.

It's also not like I wasn't advocating for this for the last 6 weeks. I don't understand why next year's salary should be an issue. Clearly you can always give him away in the offseason if you need to, let alone recoup some value. Not to belabor the point, but I think he would be our best candidate for a 2014 CF, even if it means not bringing back Arroyo or Choo (which is unlikely anyway). Perfect bridge to Hamilton/Yorman/Ervin.
    Go BLUE!!!

4. Likes:

oneupper (08-09-2013)

I can think of 25 million reasons not to acquire Rios.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    I guess Rios' 2014 salary was the issue then and possibly now. The Rangers won't have to deal with Cruz (who will walk) next year, but the REDS still have to pay Ludwick.
    Exactly. I could understand wanting Rios as a rental of sorts to hedge against an ineffective comeback by Ludwick, but he's not a rental. The Rangers might have eight-figure stacks of cash to set on fire, but it would make little sense for the Reds to have two right-handed-hitting left fielders, neither of which is a star, under contract for next season for a combined $20 million or so.

Rule of thumb I usually invoke -- would I want the Reds to sign the player at that contract if he was a free agent? If I'm the GM, I wouldn't even consider signing Rios for 2014 at $12.5 million with Ludwick already under contract. He's redundant, he's not that good, and if the Reds have that money to spend it would be far better spent elsewhere. Thus, I wouldn't be enthralled at picking up the contract so while also giving up talent for the privilege.

I will grant that the Reds need help this year, but it would be too much spent on not enough help.
    Not all who wander are lost

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    Exactly. I could understand wanting Rios as a rental of sorts to hedge against an ineffective comeback by Ludwick, but he's not a rental. The Rangers might have eight-figure stacks of cash to set on fire, but it would make little sense for the Reds to have two right-handed-hitting left fielders, neither of which is a star, under contract for next season for a combined $20 million or so.

Rule of thumb I usually invoke -- would I want the Reds to sign the player at that contract if he was a free agent? If I'm the GM, I wouldn't even consider signing Rios for 2014 at $12.5 million with Ludwick already under contract. He's redundant, he's not that good, and if the Reds have that money to spend it would be far better spent elsewhere. Thus, I wouldn't be enthralled at picking up the contract so while also giving up talent for the privilege.

I will grant that the Reds need help this year, but it would be too much spent on not enough help.
    You do realize that Alex Rios can play CF, right? Or at least, he has for 426 major league games. Shin Soo-Choo is not going to be on this team next year.
    Go BLUE!!!

8. Likes:

Trajinous (08-09-2013)

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

Depends on what their intentions are with Choo and if they think Ludwick is healthy at this point.

Being a cost concious organization that has already put a bunch of cash in the OF situation, I'm not surprised that they passed on adding what may be a 4th guy in each of the 2 years he'd be under contract.

I would have been more upset if the Reds would have made this move, which would have severely crippled our chances to resign Choo or anyone else for that matter in 2014.

11. Likes:

Donder (08-09-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Point is, as I said in my post - it wasn't THAT high. I would have paid double the value of what they just got, and I can't imagine the Sox suddenly decided they'd be willing to take less than half of what they were willing to a week ago.

I mean, come on. You can trade Rios (or Ludwick) in the offseason if you really can't afford to pay him next year. The Reds can't take on an additional $2 million this year for a playoff run? If that's the case, we should just hang 'em up.
    I don't think it's a given that the Reds would be able to unload Rios in the offseason if they got him now. He has a pretty huge salary next year, and simply is not that great of a player. Likewise, Ludwick also has a backloaded contract and is coming off an injury.

Rios could've been a potential contract albotross next year that forced the Reds to dump 2-3 players to fit him in the budget (or at bare minimum eliminated all financial flexiblity next year)

I just don't see Rios being the difference this year. He's not likely to push them to a division title and it's anyone's guess if he'd make a difference in the playoffs.

If Rios was in the last year of his contract, then yes.. get him.. but how much does he make next year.. Isn't it something like 12-15 million? The Reds can't risk it.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

You do realize that Alex Rios can play CF, right? Or at least, he has for 426 major league games. Shin Soo-Choo is not going to be on this team next year.
    I'm aware that he's played it for the same reasons the Reds are playing Choo there -- not because it's his best position, but because it was a way to shoehorn the best bats into the lineup. Guys who are really good in CF don't spend most of their career playing RF starting from day one.

I also know he's going to be 33 years old next year. And I especially realize, it's one thing to put up with a not-really-center-fielder for the sake of getting an offensive force like Choo has been, and quite another to put up with it for the kind of numbers Rios puts up most years.

I think more people should realize that these decisions are made carefully. The reds know what they have better than anyone, and to me, it's a pretty damn good sign that they didn't trade for outfield help. I think, if anything, this signals that they think ludwick can come back and play well. Sure, his rehab numbers could be better, but as Dusty pointed out before, this has been spring training part II for ludwick. I'm not going to fret over 30 meh PAs at Louisville. If the reds didn't like what they saw in ludwick/heisey/paul, they would have made a move. The reds brass has earned trust; show some faith
    Just call me Legs

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

I mean, come on. You can trade Rios (or Ludwick) in the offseason if you really can't afford to pay him next year. The Reds can't take on an additional $2 million this year for a playoff run? If that's the case, we should just hang 'em up.

If Rios could hardly be traded at the deadline, I don't think it would be so easy to find someone taking on the salary next year. The hang up was not this year's salary, it was next years.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    I'm aware that he's played it for the same reasons the Reds are playing Choo there -- not because it's his best position, but because it was a way to shoehorn the best bats into the lineup. Guys who are really good in CF don't spend most of their career playing RF starting from day one.

I also know he's going to be 33 years old next year. And I especially realize, it's one thing to put up with a not-really-center-fielder for the sake of getting an offensive force like Choo has been, and quite another to put up with it for the kind of numbers Rios puts up most years.
    Wrong. Rios is a decent CF, and certainly much better defensively than Choo there. Look it up. The only reason Rios played RF in Toronto most of the time is because they had their golden boy Vernon Wells at the time.

I, for one, would much rather have one year of Rios in CF for $12.5M than 4-5 more years of Choo for $60-$80M (which is what it will likely be if he is re-signed).

And yes, I think it is a given the Reds could unload Rios (basically for free) in the offseason if they needed to. The White Sox just did exactly that.
    Go BLUE!!!

Do you think you could get Jim Bowden to make that statement?

18. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (08-09-2013), Big Klu (08-09-2013), Revering4Blue (08-09-2013), Roy Tucker (08-09-2013)

All the more reason why the Reds (and the Pirates for that matter) should have been willing to hit the offer or pay up a bit, which I still don't believe was that high.

It's not like the Rangers interest in him was a secret back then, so you knew he would never get to the NL teams on the waiver wire.

It's also not like I wasn't advocating for this for the last 6 weeks. I don't understand why next year's salary should be an issue. Clearly you can always give him away in the offseason if you need to, let alone recoup some value. Not to belabor the point, but I think he would be our best candidate for a 2014 CF, even if it means not bringing back Arroyo or Choo (which is unlikely anyway). Perfect bridge to Hamilton/Yorman/Ervin.
    What is your basis for that? Considering this was the weakest trade market in years and the teams that needed an outfielder didn't pull the trigger on Rios, I'd say there's nothing to support your supposition that it wasn't that high.

I saw multiple reports that stated the Pirates backed off because of the asking price and they had been linked to Rios for a month.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Wrong. Rios is a decent CF, and certainly much better defensively than Choo there. Look it up. The only reason Rios played RF in Toronto most of the time is because they had their golden boy Vernon Wells at the time.

I, for one, would much rather have one year of Rios in CF for $12.5M than 4-5 more years of Choo for $60-$80M (which is what it will likely be if he is re-signed).

And yes, I think it is a given the Reds could unload Rios (basically for free) in the offseason if they needed to. The White Sox just did exactly that.
    I'll grant the argument re: the Toronto years, but at age 33 next season, I remain to be convinced that he wouldn't be a guy who used to be a good center fielder. Like I said, I wouldn't be chomping at the bit to sign him for $12.5M next year as a free agent. If that's how you'd spend it if the Reds had it to spend, fine, we'll just disagree here.

And for what it's worth, I don't expect Choo to re-sign either, and I have my doubts they'll give Hamilton the job yet, so I have no idea what the stopgap solution would be. "Cheaper than Rios" seems inevitable, though.

Turn Off Ads?