Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Alex Rios Traded to Rangers

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

Re: Alex Rios Traded to Rangers

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    And yes, I think it is a given the Reds could unload Rios (basically for free) in the offseason if they needed to. The White Sox just did exactly that.
    Not necessarily true. His trade value right now is higher than it would be in the offseason next year.

Having him for the stretch this year for a few million would be appealing to a number of teams. The fact that they basically had to give him away for nothing at the deadline suggests that there was significant pause by every team in taking him for next season. In the end, the Rangers had enough reason to justify grabbing him now with Cruz being suspended that they were willing to take the contract for next year.

Also, let's not act like Rios is some proven guy. He has a very inconsistent track record, and I would guess that teams accross baseball have very different opinions on his true value on the field. He's not nearly on the same level as Choo offense wise that I would be as intrigued taking a 1 year gamble on him in CF considering his 12.5M contract. I think more likely, the Reds look to extend Choo, with the hope that upon the end of Ludiwck's deal, Choo can be shifted to LF when Hamilton is ready. If that's the intial plan, I find that more preferable than forcing a square peg, in Rios, into a round hole.

2. Turn Off Ads?

This was a seller's market, or should have been. Everyone knew that, including the White Sox. The demand for help exceeded the available supply.

The Sox, though, probably overplayed their hand because of Rios' contract. He wasn't enough of an upgrade for any team to justify their asking price. They got stuck with him at the deadline and had to settle for a pennies-on-the-dollar trade that August waiver deals usually provide due to lessened leverage.

In July, though, I have absolutely no doubts they were asking for the moon. They were looking at the market and figuring someone would overpay.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

4. Likes:

Big Klu (08-09-2013)

I think the asking price for Rios was just as low a week ago as it was today. I bet they were trying to give him away a week ago just like they were today. They couldn't give him away a week ago because no team thought Rios was enough of an upgrade to justify paying his bloated salary. The difference between now and and a week ago is that the Rangers didn't need an outfielder a week ago (because they didn't think Cruz would be suspended or else he would appeal the suspension), whereas now that Cruz is gone for the rest of the season they all of a sudden have a gaping hole in right field. The Rangers need him now, they didn't a week ago.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    I think the asking price for Rios was just as low a week ago as it was today. I bet they were trying to give him away a week ago just like they were today. They couldn't give him away a week ago because no team thought Rios was enough of an upgrade to justify paying his bloated salary. The difference between now and and a week ago is that the Rangers didn't need an outfielder a week ago (because they didn't think Cruz would be suspended or else he would appeal the suspension), whereas now that Cruz is gone for the rest of the season they all of a sudden have a gaping hole in right field. The Rangers need him now, they didn't a week ago.
    Disagree with the second part - the Rangers always knew/thought Cruz was a goner.

I think the asking price was a bit higher a week ago, as the Sox probably thought they could get a couple teams (including the Rangers) in a bit of a bidding war. When they weren't in love with the offers they were getting, they figured they'd take their chances in the August period. The Rangers bit, and the two sides worked out a deal. IMO it's as simple as that.

People always say that no one thinks Rios is worth his contract. Yet I can't recall another player that got claimed and/or traded with the same contract twice during the August waiver period.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post

Also, let's not act like Rios is some proven guy. He has a very inconsistent track record, and I would guess that teams accross baseball have very different opinions on his true value on the field. He's not nearly on the same level as Choo offense wise that I would be as intrigued taking a 1 year gamble on him in CF considering his 12.5M contract. I think more likely, the Reds look to extend Choo, with the hope that upon the end of Ludiwck's deal, Choo can be shifted to LF when Hamilton is ready. If that's the intial plan, I find that more preferable than forcing a square peg, in Rios, into a round hole.
    I'm fine with Choo so long as it's no more than 3 years and $40M. Any more than that in years or money will be a bad deal IMO, especially with Winker/Ervin/Yorman/Hamilton all due to arrive within the next 3 years.

As far as Rios not being "proven" - he has an OPS above .800 over 1000 PA the last two seasons, and a career .767 OPS over 5800 PA. I'm not sure how much more he needs to play in order to prove himself. Sure he is inconsistent, but no one is paying top dollar for him. Adam Dunn had a much lower OPSes in 2011, which was Rios' worst year, and Ryan Ludwick had two consecutive years of sub-700 OPS before he came to the Reds.

And Rios D >>>>>>>> Choo, Ludwick and Dunn
    Go BLUE!!!

Disagree with the second part - the Rangers always knew/thought Cruz was a goner.

I think the asking price was a bit higher a week ago, as the Sox probably thought they could get a couple teams (including the Rangers) in a bit of a bidding war. When they weren't in love with the offers they were getting, they figured they'd take their chances in the August period. The Rangers bit, and the two sides worked out a deal. IMO it's as simple as that.

People always say that no one thinks Rios is worth his contract. Yet I can't recall another player that got claimed and/or traded with the same contract twice during the August waiver period.
    No, Cruz led the Rangers to believe he would appeal his suspension so he wouldn't miss the pennant chase this season. He threw them a curveball when he accepted the suspension. He opted to serve it this year under his current contract instead of having it looming over his free agent contract negotiations this winter.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    No, Cruz led the Rangers to believe he would appeal his suspension so he wouldn't miss the pennant chase this season. He threw them a curveball when he accepted the suspension. He opted to serve it this year under his current contract instead of having it looming over his free agent contract negotiations this winter.
    ''He's good for us, and we had interest in him prior to learning of Nelson's suspension and continued to have interest in, and were able to work out a deal,'' Rangers general manager Jon Daniels said on a conference call. ''We had interest either way.''
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/rangers...7561--mlb.html
    Go BLUE!!!

This REALLY pisses me off. http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...alex-rios.html

For a PTBNL, that the consensus seems to be Leury Garcia, a utility man with a career minor league OPS of .657. Not one of the Rangers Top 20 prospects according to John Sickels: http://www.minorleagueball.com/2013/...ects-in-review

In addition, the White Sox will kick in $1 million.

Walt couldn't have traded Henry Rodriguez for Alex Rios? Bob wouldn't have paid for it?
    Either way I'm pretty annoyed, as I think he would have been a perfect fit.
    The Rangers just took on what appears to be $16M of payroll. Rios is probably likely to produce at a market rate for his production next year. In essence, the Rangers just bought a legit starting CFer at market rate who is a good bet to be at least league average. But he's not without risk and who knows what Chicago wanted before the trade deadline because they knew they had leverage and could unload him through waivers. In other words, they could afford to out wait Walt and argue he won't get a chance at a claim. Also who knows what Walt's plans are for the off season?

Rios looks like a potential match on paper in a vacuum. But we don't know a lot of important context and we can't forget Rios is not without risk.
    Last edited by jojo; 08-10-2013 at 06:52 PM.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

11. Likes:

wolfboy (08-10-2013)

Turn Off Ads?