Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Is Votto likely to win the NL MVP?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it's highly likely

12 16.22%
  • No, not likely

62 83.78%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Joey Votto the 2013 NL MVP ?

Re: Is Joey Votto the 2013 NL MVP ?

The Joey we've seen the last couple weeks is definitely an MVP candidate. The Joey prior to that, no way. He's batting .455 over the last 10 games (OBP of .550), and has 7 RBI in the last 7 games. If Joey is even close to that the rest of the season, and we win the division (which we will), then he should win his 2nd MVP.
    "I talked to an advance scout that told me if Joey Votto and Albert Pujols were on the same team he'd advise his team to do the unthinkable...pitch around Votto to get to Pujols." - Buster Olney, ESPN

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Let's live in reality and assume you have to make the playoffs to win this. Or be head and shoulders above the rest.
    If Goldschmidt leads the league in HR and RBI, voters will consider him head and shoulders above the rest whether it's true or not. Heck, a big time Jay Bruce hot streak could get him the lead in those categories and put him in the conversation.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    If Goldschmidt leads the league in HR and RBI, voters will consider him head and shoulders above the rest whether it's true or not. Heck, a big time Jay Bruce hot streak could get him the lead in those categories and put him in the conversation.
    And for all we know the DBacks could make the playoffs. But for Paul to win the MVP many chips have to fall in his favor.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Frazier has a higher WAR than Pedro.
    I considered Allen Craig a legitimate MVP candidate, then I found out he was only worth 1.7 imaginary wins. Boy, was I wrong.
    Choo got it, dude.

And for all we know the DBacks could make the playoffs. But for Paul to win the MVP many chips have to fall in his favor.
    I don't know. 20 points of OPS is almost nothing. It's one hot week-end. Goldschmidt leads in RBI and is just 1 HR off the lead in HR. He could easily be seen as the offensive player who stands out above the others. Joey's 17 HR and 54 RBI will work against him IMO. Heck, Brandon Phillips may steal some of his votes away. Bruce and Choo could too. Goldschmidt is the clear top dog in Arizona and will be viewed as the guy who carried the offense there.

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Heck, a big time Jay Bruce hot streak could get him the lead in those categories and put him in the conversation.
    And if that happened, he would deserve to be in the conversation, considering what he adds defensively.
    "I talked to an advance scout that told me if Joey Votto and Albert Pujols were on the same team he'd advise his team to do the unthinkable...pitch around Votto to get to Pujols." - Buster Olney, ESPN

And Goldscmidt just tied the lead in HR with a walk-off.

9. Likes:

powersackers (08-10-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    And if that happened, he would deserve to be in the conversation, considering what he adds defensively.
    Agreed. I think he should be in the conversation now, but I think he'd need to be closer to the lead in at least one of those categories for voters to consider him.

Sounds like we may have 3 guys in the top 12 in MVP voting?

No real order:
    Goldschmidt
    Votto
    McCutchen
    Kershaw
    Molina
    Cargo
    Bruce
    Freeman
    Upton
    Phillips
    D. Wright
    C. Gomez
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Agreed. I think he should be in the conversation now, but I think he'd need to be closer to the lead in at least one of those categories for voters to consider him.
    Votto and Bruce are my two favorite Reds, but if Joey continues at a similar pace we've seen the last couple weeks, he'll win the MVP, even if Jay stays hot too. When Joey is hot, he's better than any other player's "hot", be it the Reds or anyone else. IMO

Votto: 2nd in OPS and 1st in wOBA and 1st in wRC+ -> A legitimate candidate
    Choo: 8th in OPS and 6th in wOBA and 7th in wRC+ -> Maybe
    Bruce:18th in OPS and 19th in wOBA and 22nd in wRC+ -> Undeserving
    Phillips:45th in OPS and 51st in wOBA and 53rd in wRC+ -> Undeserving

I know that you guys love Bruce and Phillips so much, but they are clearly undeserving of MVP.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

I'd go McCutcheon or Cargo at this point, Molina earlier in the year, but Votto surging late. Much to be determined.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Right now it's Cutch's to lose. Yadi would be right there without the injury. Goldy and Votto could make it interesting, especially if the Pirates begin to slip. Gomez should definitely be in the discussion but the Brewers are pathetic and his defensive assets are such a big part of his game that his season will be unappreciated by a majority of the voters.

Quote Originally Posted by junkhead View Post
    Votto: 2nd in OPS and 1st in wOBA and 1st in wRC+ -> A legitimate candidate
    Choo: 8th in OPS and 6th in wOBA and 7th in wRC+ -> Maybe
    Bruce:18th in OPS and 19th in wOBA and 22nd in wRC+ -> Undeserving
    Phillips:45th in OPS and 51st in wOBA and 53rd in wRC+ -> Undeserving

I know that you guys love Bruce and Phillips so much, but they are clearly undeserving of MVP.
    I agree with your logic, but I don't think voters will look at this stuff. Voters will look at HR and RBI. In Bruce we have a guy who is 3 HR and a dozen RBI off the league lead. IF he has one of his uber hot streaks and takes the lead in HR and closes the RBI gap, he'll get votes. Phillips is even closer to the lead in RBI. He's a highlight a day defender with a bunch of RBI, he'll steal a vote or two that should go to Votto.

I agree with your logic, but I don't think voters will look at this stuff. Voters will look at HR and RBI. In Bruce we have a guy who is 3 HR and a dozen RBI off the league lead. IF he has one of his uber hot streaks and takes the lead in HR and closes the RBI gap, he'll get votes. Phillips is even closer to the lead in RBI. He's a highlight a day defender with a bunch of RBI, he'll steal a vote or two that should go to Votto.
    Voters look at BA as much, if not more than HR and RBI. Even a guy hitting .270 won't get a second look, if there are guys hitting .300 who are also hitting HR's and driving in runs. Bruce and Phillips might get votes, but not first place votes.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

Turn Off Ads?