Turn Off Ads?
Page 54 of 55 FirstFirst ... 444505152535455 LastLast

Thread: 8/11/13 - Reds vs. Padres

Re: 8/11/13 - Reds vs. Padres

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    I'm not advocating changing the rules. I'm saying I'm OK with going to a computerized system of calling balls and strikes as long as its accuracy is maximized and it's going to actually do so based on the rules.
    Also, you know as well as I do that rules are not written in stone. If in the end everyone knows what the strike zone is and it is called 100% accurately then I'm for changing a rule or two.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Well a wins a win but another very pedestrian effort from the nonpitchers. Ludwick back tomorrow? Maybe his professionalism and competitivness will provide a spark. I suspect it will be several weeks before he starts catching up to the game, but its not like we're losing much by playing him every day.

Rosecrans tweeting that Chapman said he felt fine. Let's not just take his word for it.

High five!

That's extremely misleading since you're only using guys who have qualified, and thus, stuck around. If you consider all the pitchers that were pretty bad and thereby didn't make enough starts to stick in the bigs, he's much higher.

Like I said... above average.
    I'm not sure what's wrong about comparing him to his peers: those who "stuck around"...I think it's a given that he's better than those who didn't.

Like I said...average.

6. Likes:

jojo (08-11-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    Would you say that umpires inability to accurately call balls and strikes displays a lack of upholding the rules?
    I would acknowledge it's subjective and sometimes the umpires are subject to such personal tastes.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    I'm not sure what's wrong about comparing him to his peers: those who "stuck around"...I think it's a given that he's better than those who didn't.

Like I said...average.

That is lousy math. You are excluding a lot of bad pitchers in order to make someone look average. Average, by definition, is found by putting together all of the bad and all of the good. If you exclude the bad, you are more or less cherry-picking to make someone look better or worse.

It's absolutely silly not to acknowledge that all of those bad pitchers count. A team can't just rest on finding the above average pitchers that stick. Many of them have to cycle through a lot of bad guys before they find the good ones.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I hope this gets solved before the next game.

ctrent ‏@ctrent 9m
    Baker said the radar gun at GABP had broken and the new one was 3 or 4 mph slow. Saw the low readings on Chapman & checked on him

Reds are now undefeated in home and road games which I attend. Pm me to give me your tickets?
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    ctrent ‏@ctrent 9m
    Baker said the radar gun at GABP had broken and the new one was 3 or 4 mph slow. Saw the low readings on Chapman & checked on him
    Leake has averaged 90.1 mph on his FB and averaged 90.4 today.

Chapman has averaged 98.0 for the year and averaged 97.7 today (really no drop)....

I don't know if AC is tweaked or not but Dusty's explanation probably wasn't valid and I don't really see the drop in velocity that would freak someone out.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Chapman's drop in velocity is really freaking me out.

High five!

That is lousy math. You are excluding a lot of bad pitchers in order to make someone look average.
    Well, it excludes a lot of good pitchers who weren't qualified too.

Average, by definition, is found by putting together all of the bad and all of the good. If you exclude the bad, you are more or less cherry-picking to make someone look better or worse.

It's absolutely silly not to acknowledge that all of those bad pitchers count. A team can't just rest on finding the above average pitchers that stick. Many of them have to cycle through a lot of bad guys before they find the good ones.
    It doesn't really get better for him when you include anyone to throw an inning on the mound over the past 3 years:

FIP-: 97
    xFIP-: 102

Like I said, average.

And let's be clear, I don't think average is a bad thing.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by davereds24 View Post
    Anyone catch Choo tagging there? What an idiot, the only possible way they could have lost that game would have been an alert play by the SS and LF.
    That's an excellent catch by you on that play. I went back and watched the replay , and I noticed Berry signaling Choo to stay put . He just didn't.

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by davereds24 View Post
    Anyone catch Choo tagging there? What an idiot, the only possible way they could have lost that game would have been an alert play by the SS and LF.
    yup -- saw Speier urging him to stay

err === Berry
    Last edited by Red Raindog; 08-11-2013 at 09:39 PM. Reason: brain cramp
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

I was at the game today and somehow survived to talk about it. Bummed hard watching the Reds not get any offense going early, went ballistic after the XP home run, was amazed by some of the magical ways our pitchers got out of jams, got REALLY annoyed with the umpring crew (Joe West...you have GOT to go), and most of all, got burnt in the sunshine even though I put on sun block. We totally roasted in the sun for about 7 of the 13 innings and boy would I have been cranky if the Reds hadn't pulled off that win, LOL

In other news, the MercyMe concert after the game was REALLY great. Love seeing those guys and they always do a fantastic show.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Turn Off Ads?