Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pete Rose's Gambling vs. PEDs

Pete Rose's Gambling vs. PEDs

A friend of mine posted this article on his facebook page I wanted to share it here with other Reds fans.. Its a pretty good read

http://voices.yahoo.com/baseballs-in...78.html?cat=14

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Pete Rose's Gambling vs. PEDs

Good read. And i could not agree more with the author.

Sure. Morality is a VERY subjective value. But as i am concerned with all the drug cheats iīd go with "Two Strikes and you are out". First time caught: 100 games suspension. 2nd time caught: Out for life, contract void and all your stats are wiped. I cannot tell you how tired i am of all the cheaters in all the sports. And quite honestly i am waiting for years now that half of the NFL goes bust.

As for Charlie Hustle: By now i think it is just ridiculous that he is still banned from MLB. But as said: Morality is a VERY subjective value.

betting on your team is an insidious violation

lets see the reds were in second place and had an upcoming series with the first place team, , instead of pitching the ace against the first place team,, rose who was in debt could conceivable have pitched the ace against a lesser team increasing the chance of a victory in that game but hurting the team overall

Quote Originally Posted by bob jones View Post

lets see the reds were in second place and had an upcoming series with the first place team, , instead of pitching the ace against the first place team,, rose who was in debt could conceivable have pitched the ace against a lesser team increasing the chance of a victory in that game but hurting the team overall
    Except there's absolutely no evidence to suggest he did anything like that. They know he bet on the Reds to win, but there is zero...0.0...evidence that he ever did anything like what you suggested.

A person would have to go look at every series, every game, to determine that, I n addition, the short term benefit of winning a particular game might have influenced him to use a lefty like Rob Murphy excessively to the detriment of the team long term, these microdecisions are ultimately unknowable and unprovable but given his addiciton, there is no telling what internal gyrations he went through to attempt to win a Pyrrhic victory

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    Except there's absolutely no evidence to suggest he did anything like that. They know he bet on the Reds to win, but there is zero...0.0...evidence that he ever did anything like what you suggested.
    You can find instances however where he could have brought John Franco in to close out a game but instead brought Tim Birtsas in because he did not have money riding on the game and wanted to save Franco for the next night when he did have money on the game.

People don't realize Pete wouldn't mind getting into the HOF but his real motivation is to get back into baseball. Why is that you might ask? Because getting back into baseball means a steady paycheck. While the HOF would mean a little more attention which would mean more a little more revenue it would not equal a steady paycheck that he would receive managing or coaching.

With Pete, its all about money.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Exactly right, when a person has a suspect character, every decision that is made can be evaluated through different prisms and filters, each choice of pinch runner, pinch hitter, lineup placement, starting pitcher etc is subject to scrutiny

Oh, I'm not saying he didn't do those things, I'm saying that it simply cannot be proven one way or the other. The Dowd report (http://www.thedowdreport.com/ - the whole thing, if you have a month to kill) doesn't indicate anything like that.

He very well could have done something like this, but Rose did enough that was against the rules for us to discuss (provable things). There's not much purpose in speculating on what was in his head during this game or that.

Pete got what he deserved and he willingly accepted the penalty at the time. Baseball is better off without him. I'd ban the cheaters as well.

Quote Originally Posted by bob jones View Post

betting on the opponent and lose games is easier than bet on your team and win...

if he didnīt mind hurting his team (as you said), why didnīt bet on the opponent and made some poor decisions with the lineup and ingame decisions?

I donīt like betting on baseball and I donīt like cheating on drugs, but I canīt understand the mlb in some points..

ryan braun?! ok 60 games is enough, a-rod 200 games, betting on your baseball team => lifetime ban

agreed that the penalties are whimsical and capricious, Braun lied the same percentage of times that Rose lied, One hundred per cent

Would like to see Rose in the HOF, do feel he's served his penance. Likewise think that Clemens and Bonds belong, although if I could only pick one I'd go with Pete. But one of those issues that I just can't get too riled up over either way...if none of them ever get in, c'est la vie.

I think part of Pete's problem is that he lied for so long. That's what people don't like, imo. I think that is what is being held against him. Also he used his coming out and telling the truth as a cash grab for his new book. Also being held against him. He lost some sympathizers there I think with that move.

Pete was also one of those players, like A-Rod, you either love him or hate him. In baseball circles - there are more that hate him than love him.

Pete's situation may never change, but if it does, someone else will be commissioner and I also think Pete will be long dead when it or if it ever happens.

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

There is zero evidence both ways...just the word of a man who can't be trusted!

16. Likes:

Falcon7 (08-12-2013)

So knowing Pete as we all do now, you would trust his character on that?

Turn Off Ads?