Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pete Rose's Gambling vs. PEDs

Re: Pete Rose's Gambling vs. PEDs

Quote Originally Posted by markymark69 View Post
    I think part of Pete's problem is that he lied for so long. That's what people don't like, imo. I think that is what is being held against him. Also he used his coming out and telling the truth as a cash grab for his new book. Also being held against him. He lost some sympathizers there I think with that move.

Pete was also one of those players, like A-Rod, you either love him or hate him. In baseball circles - there are more that hate him than love him.

Pete's situation may never change, but if it does, someone else will be commissioner and I also think Pete will be long dead when it or if it ever happens.
    His greed and inability to tell the truth is what turned me against him. Was his biggest fan back in the 70's, 80's, and even the early 90's. He took me, and all of the city, for fools. He won't get that chance again.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by armybrat45103 View Post
    So knowing Pete as we all do now, you would trust his character on that?
    Never said I believed him. I said we have no idea what was going on in his head while he managed games, so it's pointless to speculate about it. We do know that the Dowd report (put together by people who wanted him banned for life) showed that they couldn't find any evidence that he ever bet against the Reds, or purposefully did something in one game that caused them to lose just so that they'd have a better chance of winning another game.

I disagree. The last thing those men wanted was to find out the allegations were, in fact, true. No one wanted this on Pete or baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    People don't realize Pete wouldn't mind getting into the HOF but his real motivation is to get back into baseball. Why is that you might ask? Because getting back into baseball means a steady paycheck. While the HOF would mean a little more attention which would mean more a little more revenue it would not equal a steady paycheck that he would receive managing or coaching.
    I agree with that. I think most fans are more interested in Rose being in the HOF than they are in Rose being involved again in MLB, but I think Rose is actually more interested in returning to the game than being in the HOF.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

6. Likes:

George Anderson (08-12-2013)

Sure Pete Rose lied for too long. Pretty obvious. Had he "come out" ealier, he might be back in the game by now. And sure he did it all because of money. But what about all the drug cheats? What do they do that for? Fame? Statistics? Maybe. But at the end of the day it all comes down to money as well. No contract? No fame and no stats ... and no money.

Did you read the twitter entry from Dan Meyer, former relieve pitcher of the Phillies after he learned that he lost his job to the now convicted cheater Antonio Bastardo? Why do you think Bastardo went to Biogenesis? Because he wanted to get a contract. Because he wanted to make money.

There was a very interesting interview in a german magazine these days with a former world class female shot putter who always came up short, becoming second or third at the Olympics or at world championships only to learn years later that a lot of the athletes that wound up in front of her were juiced and got stripped of their medals. And in athletics (at least over here) only the superstars can live from their sport. Gold is all that counts. Gold gives you sponsors. So the shot putter lost a s***load of money because of doped opponents.

As usual: It all comes down to the bucks. And the same thing happens in the Majors. So i think, compared to all the juiced players, that get a second or even a third chance for Rose it is unfair that he still is not allowed back while someone like A-Rod is still allowed to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwarftree View Post
    Sure Pete Rose lied for too long. Pretty obvious. Had he "come out" ealier, he might be back in the game by now. And sure he did it all because of money. But what about all the drug cheats? What do they do that for? Fame? Statistics? Maybe. But at the end of the day it all comes down to money as well. No contract? No fame and no stats ... and no money.

Did you read the twitter entry from Dan Meyer, former relieve pitcher of the Phillies after he learned that he lost his job to the now convicted cheater Antonio Bastardo? Why do you think Bastardo went to Biogenesis? Because he wanted to get a contract. Because he wanted to make money.

There was a very interesting interview in a german magazine these days with a former world class female shot putter who always came up short, becoming second or third at the Olympics or at world championships only to learn years later that a lot of the athletes that wound up in front of her were juiced and got stripped of their medals. And in athletics (at least over here) only the superstars can live from their sport. Gold is all that counts. Gold gives you sponsors. So the shot putter lost a s***load of money because of doped opponents.

As usual: It all comes down to the bucks. And the same thing happens in the Majors. So i think, compared to all the juiced players, that get a second or even a third chance for Rose it is unfair that he still is not allowed back while someone like A-Rod is still allowed to play.
    I agree 100%

Why did the PED users use PEDs?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I'll never believe Pete bet on the Reds to lose. He was all about the Reds. His ego wouldn't let him think they could lose. That said, he still bet on baseball, and that is wrong.

Do you think he helped use Jeff Treadway or Guy Hoffman the right way??

Turn Off Ads?