Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Who do we root for this week, Cards or Pirates?

Re: Who do we root for this week, Cards or Pirates?

If you still think the Reds can win the division, root for the Cards.

If you think the real objective now is the home wild card, root for the Pirates.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I've stated it elsewhere but would still be interested in feedback -- apart from the obvious disadvantages of home field and pitching rotation, is anybody else not bothered by the idea of the Reds being a Wild Card? I wouldn't go so far as to say that I prefer it, but the Reds have never been a Wild Card team, and I wonder if it might give them a jolt mentally to be chasing rather than being chased. Often Wild Card teams that squeak in seem to barrel through the end of the season straight into and through the playoffs since they know they can't afford complacency. And the Reds at this point have enough playoff experience not to be shellshocked by the postseason (if nothing else, I think 2012 should prove invaluable in that regard).
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

4. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (08-12-2013),Tom Servo (08-12-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I want the Pirates to sweep. The most dangerous thing in the NL is the Cards offense.
    That's my thought too.

It's highly unlikely the Reds win the division. I'd rather the Cards lose and the Reds get home field advantage in the WC game. I'd rather face the Cards in a one game series than a best of 5 or 7
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

6. Likes:

Red Buckeye (08-12-2013)

Just root for the Reds to win so we gain ground on whichever loses...

8. Likes:

cumberlandreds (08-12-2013),dubc47834 (08-12-2013),HeatherC1212 (08-12-2013),mth123 (08-12-2013),OnBaseMachine (08-12-2013)

I would love to see a beanball war develop between these two teams. Not just suspensions, but arrests and trials as a result.

10. Likes:

LexRedsFan (08-12-2013),thatcoolguy_22 (08-12-2013)

I have to go with Pittsburgh. In fact I hope they sweep St. Louis.

I am actually hoping the Reds get the 1st WC and St. Louis gets the 2nd WC, because having to beat St. Louis and their explosive offense seems to be a lot tougher when you have to do it three times in five tries instead of just once.

And Pittsburgh doesn't scare me at all in the playoffs.

I also think only winning a WC spot and not the division will help this team mentally. They won't be celebrating prematurely like they were able to do in 2012 and 2013.

My ideal situation would be a 1 game elimination game against St. Louis in Cincinnati followed by a best of 5 against Pittsburgh, who scares me a whole let less than trying to beat St. Louis three times.
    There are no hunting accidents...It's called kharma.

If the Reds don't win the division I would much rather see Pittsburgh take the other wild card and the Braves finish with the best record in the NL.

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    I'm rooting for the Cards. The Pirates are in 1st and I think you always root for the 1st place team to lose. I don't like the Cards, but Im hoping for a Cards sweep this week. Although if the Buccos sweep the Cards then we could move into the #1 wildcard slot!
    If we're going for the division, then we have to be hoping for the 1st place team to lose. This week that is the Pirates.

Let's let the wildcard work itself out

14. Likes:

Tom Servo (08-12-2013)

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    That's a given, but with the Bucs and Cards playing each other, who ya root in for?
    I've said this many times. A Reds fan does NOT root for the Cubs, Cardinals, Pirates or Brewers. Ever. Instead you simply root against a team. If you want the Cardinals to win because the Pirates are in first...simply root for the Pirates to lose. That way you're not technically rooting for the Cardinals to win and thus making yourself feel...just...dirty all over. Yuck!

16. Likes:

CoachBombay (08-12-2013),HeatherC1212 (08-12-2013)

Either way, there's a total of 3 losses and 3 wins over the next three games between the two clubs.

If the REDS can take 2 of 3 in Chicago, they gain on them accumulatively.

The Cards have their Top-3 Pitchers starting the series:

From Rotoworld w/ Rotoworld comments:

Shelby Miller (elbow) has been confirmed as the Cardinals' starter Wednesday against the Pirates.

Adam Wainwright will open the big series on Tuesday and Lance Lynn will close it out on Thursday. Miller was pulled from his previous outing in the top of the first inning after taking a line drive off his pitching elbow, but he has passed all of the necessary tests.

Source: St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Pirates have Morton followed by Cole and Liriano going. I'm sure the Cardinals are glad they don't have to face Locke.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 08-12-2013 at 03:11 PM.

Pirates. 20 straight years of under .500 ball.... and they are not the Cards.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I don't look at it from the perspective of WHO the teams are (Cards, Pirates). And it doesn't matter what one's emotions want to tell them either (i.e. I hate one more then the other, and won't root for so-and-so under any circumstance).

We're the 3rd place team trying to gain ground on the 1st place team. And by not only winning ourselves, we can get a huge boast from the 2nd place team, who I hope sweeps. If they sweep, we sweep, they'll be a two-way tie for 1st with us two games back.

It's all about the math, not emotions. LOL

I'm a Card's fans for the next few days.
    Only way that's ever happening in my world is if it's a mathematical situation where the Reds are done if the Cards don't win. That's the only math that matters in that scenario.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

thorn

You gotta take 2nd before you can get first. Go Pirates.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    The Cards have their Top-3 Pitchers starting the series:

From Rotoworld w/ Rotoworld comments:

Shelby Miller (elbow) has been confirmed as the Cardinals' starter Wednesday against the Pirates.

Adam Wainwright will open the big series on Tuesday and Lance Lynn will close it out on Thursday. Miller was pulled from his previous outing in the top of the first inning after taking a line drive off his pitching elbow, but he has passed all of the necessary tests.

Source: St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Pirates have Morton followed by Cole and Liriano going. I'm sure the Cardinals are glad they don't have to face Locke.
    FWIW, Cole is being pushed back to start Friday against the D-Backs. Burnett starts on Wednesday against the Cards.

Turn Off Ads?