Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Who do we root for this week, Cards or Pirates?

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Re: Who do we root for this week, Cards or Pirates?

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I'll kiss Chris Carpenter's butt if the Cards help us gain ground on the Pirates, and tighten things up.
    I'll guarantee things will tighten up if you do that.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

2. Likes:

tomnuetten (08-13-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I'll kiss Chris Carpenter's butt if the Cards help us gain ground on the Pirates, and tighten things up.
    That would be a little difficult to explain to his son.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

5. Likes:

CoachBombay (08-15-2013), LexRedsFan (08-13-2013)

Hope cards lose...so reds can get closer to the #1 wc spot... And have homefield for the 1 game playoff.

7. Likes:

Falls City Beer (08-13-2013), REDREAD (08-14-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    The best outcome by far would be for the Cards to fall out of the playoff picture entirely.
    I agree. Lets just hope the Cards fall on their faces after this series. But for now they can be an asset for us by beating the division leader and helping us gain some ground.

We were 7 back last week, and now we're 3.5 back.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

9. Likes:

redsmetz (08-14-2013), Tom Servo (08-14-2013)

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    I think I'll root for two 20 inning games and one rainout that messes up both teams' schedules.
    14 innings of bullpen-using-up delight last night is what I call a good start on that.

11. Likes:

oneupper (08-14-2013), REDREAD (08-14-2013), redsmetz (08-14-2013)

Starting to think I should root for the Bucs to win the last two games of this series. Cards have a very easy schedule starting September 10. Need Cards to pile up some losses in the next few weeks.

I think the "book" would say root for the Pirates to lose until they give up first place. But I'm going against the book the next two days.

13. Likes:

Falls City Beer (08-14-2013), RiverRat13 (08-14-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Starting to think I should root for the Bucs to win the last two games of this series. Cards have a very easy schedule starting September 10. Need Cards to pile up some losses in the next few weeks.

I think the "book" would say root for the Pirates to lose until they give up first place. But I'm going against the book the next two days.
    Agree with this

I was rooting for the Bucs last night. But after a while, I just said, "Someone win already!" and didn't care.

However, overall, I am rooting for the Pirates. I think they will eventually slow down as they are relying on the otherwise below average Liriano, rookie SPs who may get shut down, and an overworked bullpen. Also, their offense is not nearly as strong and explosive as the Cards. Besides McCutchen, they do not have any bonifide stars. Not to mention, the Cards are likely to get out of their funk once Molina returns as well.

Finally, we face them 6 out of the last 9 games. So if we are in fact behind them and not the Cards, then every win during that stretch is 2 times as good and every loss is 2 times as bad, but at least we would be in control of our own destiny.

Therefore, the Pirates winning this series, IMO, gives us the best chance to win the division.
    2014 Attendance 0-3
    3/31/14, 4/12/14, 8/14/15

2013 Attendance: 6-0
    4/3/13, 4/16/13, 4/17/13, 8/3/13, 8/21/13, 9/7/13

I want the Pirates to win the series, they absolutely blew that game last night. St Louis should be 4 games out instead of 2, plus they'd only be a 1/2 game ahead of us. Best outcome now would be Pitt crushing the Cards these next 2 games. Cannot believe Marte dropped that ball last night

Quote Originally Posted by faffy42 View Post
    Hope cards lose...so reds can get closer to the #1 wc spot... And have homefield for the 1 game playoff.
    Heck yea. The Reds play much better at home.
    The Reds moving into second place would be huge. Well, maybe not huge, but nice.

I hope the Pirates win the next 2 games.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Red Swagger View Post
    I want the Pirates to win the series, they absolutely blew that game last night. St Louis should be 4 games out instead of 2, plus they'd only be a 1/2 game ahead of us. Best outcome now would be Pitt crushing the Cards these next 2 games. Cannot believe Marte dropped that ball last night
    Can't blame Marte. Blame the coaching. Is using 2 hands so difficult for these modern players to fathom? It should be an automatic fine for the "Cadillac" one handing on routine plays.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Swagger View Post
    It's only in the mind that the outcome of this series matters to the Reds. They lose or gain ground exactly the same. Reds just have to keep winning, as they are right now vs. this Cub team that can be very tough at times. The Cards narrily dodged a sweep last week vs. those bears.

Tonite's game is on ESPN.....Holliday twisted his ankle just changing directions on the basepaths. He needs to stop all that upper body lifting and give a thought to his underdeveloped lower half. What a creampuff!

Matt Adams may get a rare start if MH needs to sit for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Magdal View Post
    It's only in the mind that the outcome of this series matters to the Reds. They lose or gain ground exactly the same. Reds just have to keep winning, as they are right now vs. this Cub team that can be very tough at times. The Cards narrily dodged a sweep last week vs. those bears.

Tonite's game is on ESPN.....Holliday twisted his ankle just changing directions on the basepaths. He needs to stop all that upper body lifting and give a thought to his underdeveloped lower half. What a creampuff!

Matt Adams may get a rare start if MH needs to sit for a while.
    The outcome of the overall fourteen games late this season between the Cards and Bucs matters very much to the Reds.

All these clubs play a lot of easier games and these matchups are an opportunity for the Reds to gain ground on one of the two ballclubs.

We can debate who to root for in a particular game or series. IMO, it is beneficial right now for the Pirates to win, I think they have other spots to lose games on their schedule.

But the outcome matters. Of course, the Reds need to win.

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    Reds have an eight game gap to make up between the Cards and Reds

Sweep the Cubs and the number drops to five and life is good
    Take 2 of three and it drops only to seven, good but not great
    Lose 2 of three and it rises to nine, start wildcard plans
    Get swept and it balloons to eleven and keep hoping the DBacks can't get out of their own way
    Life is good. And the math was off in our favor as the divisional gap stands only at four after tonight.

Rooting for the Pirates to lose tonight since they are on the Road, and there won't be as many opportunities for them to lose the rest of the season than are better than this (except the last three days of the season).

Turn Off Ads?