Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 129

Thread: Stephenson promoted to Pensacola

  1. #76
    Member Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,689

    Re: Stephenson promoted to Pensacola

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Would you do Stephenson for Wil Myers straight up?

    Would be difficult to say no to that.
    Not a chance.
    They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    He has also taught me that even when the Reds win it is important to focus on the fact that they could have lost.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #77
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    9,814

    Re: Stephenson promoted to Pensacola

    Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    I honestly had not thought of that. You just changed my opinion on the matter. It's really bad that we have to consider such things.
    Only we don't. Reds used Cingrani in relief last year, even some this year, but always considered him a starter.

    Chapman's a unique case since no one knew if he would be any good as a starter, and he does profile well as a closer. Neither of those things are true about Stephenson.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

  4. Likes:

    Tommyjohn25 (08-15-2013)

  5. #78
    Member Superdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,774

    Re: Stephenson promoted to Pensacola

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Chapman's a unique case since no one knew if he would be any good as a starter, and he does profile well as a closer. Neither of those things are true about Stephenson.
    For being a 22 year old Cuban thrown into AAA baseball in Kentucky, I'd say he was doing pretty well personally. Not a far-fetched connection IMO.

  6. #79
    ZCTRMTP!!!!!
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,795

    Re: Stephenson promoted to Pensacola

    Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    For being a 22 year old Cuban thrown into AAA baseball in Kentucky, I'd say he was doing pretty well personally. Not a far-fetched connection IMO.
    Aroldis Chapman was known as the 'Michael Wacha' of Cuban baseball. I, personally, had no doubts.
    Zero chance the Reds miss the playoffs!

  7. #80
    Member RadfordVA's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    916

    Re: Stephenson promoted to Pensacola

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Stephenson is better at age 20 than Bailey was. The stuff is better, the control is better. Bailey certainly pitched very well in AA, which is where I am sure some will give him the edge, but he was walking nearly 4 batters per 9 innings in AA that season. While we certainly won't get a chance to see Stephenson get nearly as many innings, I just can't fathom him walking that many hitters. He is in the zone too much.
    He was walking under 3 in 13 high A starts that season. Seems silly to compare AA numbers to Stephenson when he has only made 4 starts above Low A so far. Stephenson walked 3.9 in 8 Dayton starts last year so he is certainly capable of missing the zone for a period of adjustment.

    The quote I was contesting was Stephenson has "clearly outperformed" Bailey at this stage when both are really quite similar. Hopefully Stephenson reaches his peak quicker than Bailey.

    Also of note Stephenson is 3 months older than Bailey in their same age season

  8. #81
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    9,814

    Re: Stephenson promoted to Pensacola

    Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    For being a 22 year old Cuban thrown into AAA baseball in Kentucky, I'd say he was doing pretty well personally. Not a far-fetched connection IMO.
    Chapman was mowing down AAA hitters on his fastball, but hadn't developed any confidence in his off speed pitches at that point. He also had very few pro innings under his belt. There were major doubts about his ability to be a starter in the majors at that time, and there still are.

    So far, there are no doubts about Stephenson's ability to be a starter. There are far less doubts about Stephenson than there were about Cingrani, and Cingrani has stayed in the rotation.

    The only reason to make that connection is to bash Dusty.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

  9. Likes:

    Tommyjohn25 (08-15-2013)

  10. #82
    Member RadfordVA's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    916

    Re: Stephenson promoted to Pensacola

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Would you do Stephenson for Wil Myers straight up?

    Would be difficult to say no to that.
    Yeah I think I would. Stephenson figures to be ranked anywhere from 5 to 20th this offseason. Here are the pitchers ranked there in 2009

    Tommy Hanson
    Brett Anderson
    Madison Bumgarner
    Neftali Feliz
    Trevor Cahill

    Pitching being so volatile I will take the 22 year old OF that has OPS+ 141 so far over the soon to be AA pitcher. Only one of the above pitchers would you currently not trade for Myers with. Very possible Myers regresses but I would say more likely Stephenson hits bumps in the road along way. Hope not.

  11. #83
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    9,748

    Re: Stephenson promoted to Pensacola

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Would you do Stephenson for Wil Myers straight up?

    Would be difficult to say no to that.
    This is the modern day reincarnation of the ol' Redszone debate, would you trade (prospect) Adam Dunn for (prospect) Josh Beckett?

    Only in reverse. And Myers has proven himself at the big league level.

    Right now, given the Reds needs as an organization, I would do this deal. Other players I'd probably trade Stephenson for include Yasiel Puig, Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton, Bryce Harper, Andrew McCutchen, Manny Machado, Byron Buxton, Matt Harvey and Shelby Miller. Factoring in affordability to this team, that's probably about it.
    Go BLUE!!!

  12. #84
    Member Superdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,774

    Re: Stephenson promoted to Pensacola

    Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Aroldis Chapman was known as the 'Michael Wacha' of Cuban baseball. I, personally, had no doubts.
    That is a sacrilege! There is only one true Michael Wacha.

  13. #85
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    34,877

    Re: Stephenson promoted to Pensacola

    Quote Originally Posted by RadfordVA View Post
    He was walking under 3 in 13 high A starts that season. Seems silly to compare AA numbers to Stephenson when he has only made 4 starts above Low A so far. Stephenson walked 3.9 in 8 Dayton starts last year so he is certainly capable of missing the zone for a period of adjustment.

    The quote I was contesting was Stephenson has "clearly outperformed" Bailey at this stage when both are really quite similar. Hopefully Stephenson reaches his peak quicker than Bailey.

    Also of note Stephenson is 3 months older than Bailey in their same age season
    It seems silly to compare the numbers, but I saw both guys at this point in their careers. Stephenson is better without an ounce of hesitation. Last year Stephenson didn't have anywhere near the control he has this year. Not with his fastball. Not with his curveball. His change up wasn't remotely close to where it is today. The Robert Stephenson that is 20 is better than the Homer Bailey that was 20. Better stuff across the board. Better control across the board.

  14. #86
    Member RadfordVA's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    916

    Re: Stephenson promoted to Pensacola

    Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    This is the modern day reincarnation of the ol' Redszone debate, would you trade (prospect) Adam Dunn for (prospect) Josh Beckett?

    Only in reverse. And Myers has proven himself at the big league level.

    Right now, given the Reds needs as an organization, I would do this deal. Other players I'd probably trade Stephenson for include Yasiel Puig, Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton, Bryce Harper, Andrew McCutchen, Manny Machado, Byron Buxton, Matt Harvey and Shelby Miller. Factoring in affordability to this team, that's probably about it.
    Agreed. Short list for sure but Myers would be one on it. If they both pan out Stephenson will certainly be more valuable but will take the MLB ready player. I don't think either team would even consider move in reality though. Too much room for a big mistake.

  15. #87
    OlafTheBlack Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Woodbridge, VA
    Posts
    2,526

    Re: Stephenson promoted to Pensacola

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    It seems silly to compare the numbers, but I saw both guys at this point in their careers. Stephenson is better without an ounce of hesitation. Last year Stephenson didn't have anywhere near the control he has this year. Not with his fastball. Not with his curveball. His change up wasn't remotely close to where it is today. The Robert Stephenson that is 20 is better than the Homer Bailey that was 20. Better stuff across the board. Better control across the board.
    When the Reds brought up Homer, even then it seemed to me that they were rushing him. It doesn't feel like Stephenson is being rushed at all. More like the Reds want him to experience a few starts at every level before his debut next year, just to make sure he is as ready as he looks. (And I'm of the belief that when a pitcher looks ready he is. Hitters on the other hand...)
    Sabermetrics can be boiled down to this simple truism: A batter's goal is to extend the inning. Extend enough innings and you're going to score runs. Extend more innings than your opponent and you're going to score more runs than him.

  16. #88
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Big Bear City, CA
    Posts
    540

    Re: Stephenson promoted to Pensacola

    I am really bummed. I was hoping to see him pitch next week when Bakersfield goes to play Inland Empire 66ers in San Bernardino. Pensacola is a little to far to go.

  17. #89
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    34,877

    Re: Stephenson promoted to Pensacola

    Quote Originally Posted by 40YrRedsFan View Post
    I am really bummed. I was hoping to see him pitch next week when Bakersfield goes to play Inland Empire 66ers in San Bernardino. Pensacola is a little to far to go.
    Come on man, it is only a 29 hour drive.

  18. Likes:

    Tom Servo (08-15-2013)

  19. #90
    Member paulrichjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Savannah, TN
    Posts
    2,875

    Re: Stephenson promoted to Pensacola

    Quote Originally Posted by 40YrRedsFan View Post
    I am really bummed. I was hoping to see him pitch next week when Bakersfield goes to play Inland Empire 66ers in San Bernardino. Pensacola is a little to far to go.
    I was hoping to watch him next week in Huntsville. Anyone know the rotation for next week?
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25