Thread: Stephenson promoted to Pensacola

Re: Stephenson promoted to Pensacola

Without trading Bailey, my plan as of right now would be:

Latos
    Cueto
    Leake
    Bailey
    Cingrani

I'd tell Chapman to prepare as a starter, as usual, in the event of an injury he can step in early.

Sign what's left of the list above to a minor league deal.

Resign Parra to a 2 year deal. With Broxton as the closer and Marshall healthy all year, the bullpen will be good.

Extend Leake 4 years, 30 million.
    Extend Latos 6 years 90 million.

Push the money back on these extensions so that you can sign either:

Choo 5 years 70 million
    or
    Stephan Drew 3 years 22 million.

Drew is a LH SS that leads off well and hits RHP around .775 OPS for his career.

Cozart moves to the utility role and learns 3b and SS and focuses on hitting LHP with power.

Payroll moves to about 105 million, which after a WS title is nothing!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    Every year the FA pitching market looks better to me than most, but this year especially. There are a lot of former all stars on this list, I think a small FA deal might be possible with someone, not that I prefer trading Bailey per se:
    This list makes me wonder.
    Is there anyone on that list that would be both cheaper and better than Bronson?

I have not gone through everyone on that list, but let's say Bronson is going to get 10-13 million/year.. Maybe the smart money is to resign him as opposed to someone like Westbrook, or a reclamation project.
    Because most folks on that list is going to cost some money... I guess we can only speculate on specifics ...the point is.. not sure if it is worth saving 5 million/year to get someone less predictable than Arroyo. Cueto's injury further concerns me.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Assuming the Latos extension doesn't replace the existing 2 year/11 million contract, I think you'll probably have to pay more than 90 million.

And for Leake, I think you're overpaying. Especially given how good pitching isn't nearly as hard to find as it used to be. But you're overall plan ain't too shabby
    Just call me Legs

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Hamilton's Legs View Post
    Assuming the Latos extension doesn't replace the existing 2 year/11 million contract, I think you'll probably have to pay more than 90 million.

And for Leake, I think you're overpaying. Especially given how good pitching isn't nearly as hard to find as it used to be. But you're overall plan ain't too shabby
    Thanks. Both extensions would start / replace next year's deals. With Leake, I figure, he's likely going to get 11 or 12 million between the next 2 arb deals, then he'd get 10 million per year for his first 2 years of FA. It's a friendly deal, but an affordable one for the Reds, if they can go: 4, 5, 10, 11 or so to keep 2014 and 2015 a bit more affordable to sign a FA player.

Through 3 AA starts so far for Stephenson.

In 15.2 innings, 14 hits, 7 runs, 17k to 11bb.

So far the superior control has not translated to AA.

Quote Originally Posted by RadfordVA View Post
    Through 3 AA starts so far for Stephenson.

In 15.2 innings, 14 hits, 7 runs, 17k to 11bb.

So far the superior control has not translated to AA.
    For anybody who's been watching him, has this been more of a nibbling-around-more-talented-hitters type of thing or a mechanical, just-doesn't-know-where-it's-going type of thing?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    For anybody who's been watching him, has this been more of a nibbling-around-more-talented-hitters type of thing or a mechanical, just-doesn't-know-where-it's-going type of thing?
    Or is it a kid's already thrown 50 more innings than he did last year kind of thing?

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Or is it a kid's already thrown 50 more innings than he did last year kind of thing?
    Which would presumably be affecting his mechanics as opposed to his approach.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Lack of control. Ever since he came back from the DL with the hammy injury he has been hit or miss when it comes to control. When it is there, he is unhittable. But when it hasn't been, he has struggled at times.

Turn Off Ads?