Phillips
    Bruce
    Paul
    Cozart
    Hanigan
    Bailey
    2015 Attendance 2-1 (4/6, 4/7,4/24)
    2014 Attendance 1-3 (3/31, 4/12, 8/14)
    2013 Attendance: 6-0 (4/3, 4/16, 4/17, 8/3, 8/21, 9/7)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 8/13/13 Reds @ Cubs

I understand Hanigan being in since Homer prefers him over Mesoraco, but why Paul instead of Heisey or Ludwick?

Yeah, don't understand sitting Ludwick. He needs ABs. I hope he didn't tweak something.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

They said during the broadcast last night (radio) that Ludwick would sit today and play tomorrow.

Yea, tommorrow is a day game. I believe the Cubs are starting a lefty tommorrow too (not 100% sure).

Dusty only wanted to play Ludwick 2 out of three games. This was the rest game.
    Makes sense to play Ludwick vs the two lefties.

Oh yea, I think the whole "day game after a night game is hard" came into effect too. Not criticizing it. Just explaining what Dusty said.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    I understand Hanigan being in since Homer prefers him over Mesoraco, but why Paul instead of Heisey or Ludwick?
    Heisey may not be playing because he is hitting .209 with a .631 OPS and much worse against righties. Paul is hitting .239 with a .741 OPS, and .787 against righties.

That's probably why Heisey isn't playing.

Tomorrow is a day game and a lefty is starting.

Not hard to figure out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBrick View Post
    Yeah, don't understand sitting Ludwick. He needs ABs. I hope he didn't tweak something.
    Pretty standard for Dusty, ease a guy back from the DL in slowly. Perfectly fine way to approach it IMO.

With Ludwick I doubt the Righty/lefty is part of the equation on sitting him- just the rest aspect- and I have no issue with it. We heard a lot last year about Ludwick's skills vs rhp and the unusual platoon it could create. In terms of Paul v Heisey- that may be a RHP v LHP issue however.

Well, I hope Paul doesn't butcher left field again. A statue might be better.

12. Likes:

OnBaseMachine (08-13-2013),powersackers (08-13-2013),Red Raindog (08-13-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    Well, I hope Paul doesn't butcher left field again. A statue might be better.
    I bet you'll take the same 2 run bomb that saved the day against the Pads...

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

When you factor in the following:
    (1) Ludwick last year was a monster vs. LH pitching (.936 OPS), and the Cubs are starting a LH the 1st and 3rd game;
    (2) Ludwick coming back from the DL was unlikely to play all 3 games, so it would make sense to rest him the middle game;
    (3) the 3rd game is a day game after a night game, so Ludwick was unlikely to play both the 2nd and the 3rd game;
    (4) Paul is the best hitting option in LF vs. a RH pitcher, especially one who throws hard;

it was a virutally no brainer that Ludwick would sit in place of Paul tonight.

I bet you'll take the same 2 run bomb that saved the day against the Pads...
    Which was as a pinch hitter. But yet, we'll always take a homer. But there is a cut off to when a players offensive production doesn't make up for his defensive liabilities.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

16. Likes:

RedEye (08-13-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    Which was as a pinch hitter. But yet, we'll always take a homer. But there is a cut off to when a players offensive production doesn't make up for his defensive liabilities.
    He hasn't reached that for me.

He hasn't reached that for me.
    Check out his WAR. He's there.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Turn Off Ads?