Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 EPL Thread

Re: 2013 EPL Thread

Who has the rights to La Liga and Serie A?
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Who has the rights to La Liga and Serie A?
    BeIn I believe. Rumor has it the Qataris shelled out some extra dough for the rights as a "thank you" for choosing Qatar to host the World Cup over the US in 2022. Same reason why the USMNT road matches end up on BeIn. The more I hear about, the more I can't help but believe the whole purpose for setting up BeIn was to provide a "legitimate" way to bribe countries into voting Qatar's way. FIFA is filled with graft and corruption, but gets away with it by threatening to expel any country who tries to do anything about it using the "no government interference" rule they concocted. And of course one of the alleged reasons England lost their bid for the World Cup was because the British press has been so hawkish in exposing FIFA corruption. Sepp Blatter got really ticked off when they reported on some of the ridiculous accommodations the South Africans made for him at the 2010 World Cup. The man is treated better than heads of state when he visits Africa, Asia, and the Caribbean.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Shockingly, BeIn represents an upgrade for COCACAF WQ qualifiers. I remember in the last set of qualifiers there were some countries that elected to make their home matches against the US only available on Pay Per View.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Interesting to read that due to all the bizarre rights issues you US citizens have the same issue watching European football matches as we Europeans have trying to watch the NFL, the NBA, the NHL and the MLB. Outside any obscure streams that is. Especially after (sorry for that) the bloody BBC got the rights for ESPN America and canned its broadcast outside of Great Britain.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwarftree View Post
    Interesting to read that due to all the bizarre rights issues you US citizens have the same issue watching European football matches as we Europeans have trying to watch the NFL, the NBA, the NHL and the MLB. Outside any obscure streams that is. Especially after (sorry for that) the bloody BBC got the rights for ESPN America and canned its broadcast outside of Great Britain.
    Dwarftree, you happen to be in one of my favorite cities. I lived in Salzburg for two years and would head over to Munich when I had the chance. I still have a Maßkrug from the biergarten at the pagoda in the Englischer Garten.

Back in the early to mid '90s, the only American sports we had access to were NBA and NHL on Eurosport, which also broadcast such things as handball and indoor sailing. I watched the Super Bowl there once. It was kind of boring without the stats, graphics, and Super Bowl ads they show on US TV.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Suarez with a hat trick including a header from the edge of the box. Stunning goal.

Oh and Man U is losing to Stoke at home and Old Trafford is collectively pooping themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Back in the early to mid '90s, the only American sports we had access to were NBA and NHL on Eurosport, which also broadcast such things as handball and indoor sailing. I watched the Super Bowl there once. It was kind of boring without the stats, graphics, and Super Bowl ads they show on US TV.
    Yeah. That was pretty much it until ESPN America started to air here a couple of years ago. As an american sports fan you were pretty much dependent on obscure sources if you wanted to watch or listen to your team live. If you could even watch it. The first Superbowl i follwed live was Superbowl XVI in 1982. Listening to AFN secretly under my blanket. My parents would not have been happy to see their kid staying up till the wee hours. Then came the Eurosport aera but a pay tv company bought all the rights some years later. Eurosport was out. So the only way you could watch the NFL was in a bar or at a friends place that had a pay tv subscription. And then like 5 years back from now or so tv sports heaven showed up in the form of ESPN America. A lot of nights were spent in front of the tv watching football, baseball and hockey. Not to mention shows like PTI, ATH, Sunday NFL Countdown or Baseball Tonight.

But now itīs all over with the ******* BBC buying ESPN America and dumping the broadcast outside the UK. Which is a real shame. Thank god i have mlb.tv. Though i miss watching "my" Packers and "my" Bruins. But there is no way i will pay for the NFL and NHL game passes. So we are basically back in the stoneage of american sports broadcasts over here

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Suarez with a hat trick including a header from the edge of the box. Stunning goal.

Oh and Man U is losing to Stoke at home and Old Trafford is collectively pooping themselves.
    I watched a little of the Man U game. Haven't been able to watch much of them this entire season. I think they missed the boat when they let Ozil sign with Arsenal. They have been in a funk this entire season, I don't know if its the loss of Ferguson or that they really didn't add anything to the roster. This may just be a transition season for them.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I watched a little of the Man U game. Haven't been able to watch much of them this entire season. I think they missed the boat when they let Ozil sign with Arsenal. They have been in a funk this entire season, I don't know if its the loss of Ferguson or that they really didn't add anything to the roster. This may just be a transition season for them.
    The city of Manchester is a tough sell (my sister lived there for three years, so I'm familiar with it). If you're a top player and you've got your choice of destinations like London, Paris, Barcelona, Madrid, Munich and Milan, all other things being equal you're not going to Manchester. City has gotten around it by splurging cash. United has ridden its mystique on top of its cash.

Though the team that really missed the boat on Ozil is Real Madrid. Gareth Bale for Ozil, which is how that whole situation played out, is shaping up to be one of the worst and most expensive bits of business a club has done in a very long time.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Hell of a win by Arsenal Saturday.

Another Ramsey wonder-goal

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Chelsea also laid a massive egg this weekend. Side just looked flat for the entire match.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

What a performance. Lewandiveski is a punk.

I think it is time to ask the question: Ramsey or Messi?

15. Likes:

reds1869 (11-06-2013)

Good point for Chelsea

Epic 94th minute dive to steal a draw against West Brom

5 hours. Armageddon

Arsenal has to win this match

Turn Off Ads?