Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 EPL Thread

Re: 2013 EPL Thread

Not a red on Szcz. Awful

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 5TimeWSChamps View Post
    Not a red on Szcz. Awful
    Technically the right call but it sure seems harsh. Maybe they can weather the storm.

Haven't been able to watch the game. What did the G for Aresnal do to get a red? Was Ozil's penalty that bad of a shot?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Haven't been able to watch the game. What did the G for Aresnal do to get a red? Was Ozil's penalty that bad of a shot?
    It was a ball chipped over the top right down the middle. Robben got his foot to it before Schezney got there and then Schezney caught him on his other leg and brought him down. Like a blocker hitting a punter after the ball has been kicked. It was a penalty for sure, but the red card was pretty harsh. Robben didn't control the ball and it is pretty arguable that he would have had a clear goal scoring opportunity if he wasn't tripped.

Ozil's shot wasn't good.

Edit: I've got to watch it a coule times on replay now and that was not a red card at all. There was contact, but Robben flops pretty hard.
    Last edited by BuckeyeRed27; 02-19-2014 at 06:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Edit: I've got to watch it a coule times on replay now and that was not a red card at all. There was contact, but Robben flops pretty hard.
    I agree. Wenger let Robben hear it a few times later in the game.

Robben is a bigger cheat than Suarez.

Quote Originally Posted by 5TimeWSChamps View Post
    Robben is a bigger cheat than Suarez.
    Yes. I'm a Bayern fan and even I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    It was a ball chipped over the top right down the middle. Robben got his foot to it before Schezney got there and then Schezney caught him on his other leg and brought him down. Like a blocker hitting a punter after the ball has been kicked. It was a penalty for sure, but the red card was pretty harsh. Robben didn't control the ball and it is pretty arguable that he would have had a clear goal scoring opportunity if he wasn't tripped.

Ozil's shot wasn't good.

Has there ever been any discussion about going to a review after a red card is handed out? You give a team a red card, especially in a big time game, it changes the whole dynamic of the game. Last year a Man U player was given a debatable Red against Real Madrid (I believe) that really changed the dynamic of the series. Going from a Man U advantage (1-1 aggregate with an away goal) to playing a man down at home against a good Real team that ended up winning.

As someone who really doesn't have a dog in the fight, I want to see the best players on the field competing. When you look at it in real time it looked a lot worse than what actually happened. The replay I saw it almost looked like a 50/50 ball where Robben got a foot on it just before the Arsenal GK got there. There was contact, but Robben went down like he got shot, not bumped.

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    Yes. I'm a Bayern fan and even I agree.
    Robben is one of those frustrating players like Christiano Ronaldo, who can display brilliance on the field, yet often resort to cheap theatrics to get their way.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Robben is one of those frustrating players like Christiano Ronaldo, who can display brilliance on the field, yet often resort to cheap theatrics to get their way.
    I just hate him because of the smedium shirts he wears.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Has there ever been any discussion about going to a review after a red card is handed out? You give a team a red card, especially in a big time game, it changes the whole dynamic of the game. Last year a Man U player was given a debatable Red against Real Madrid (I believe) that really changed the dynamic of the series. Going from a Man U advantage (1-1 aggregate with an away goal) to playing a man down at home against a good Real team that ended up winning.

As someone who really doesn't have a dog in the fight, I want to see the best players on the field competing. When you look at it in real time it looked a lot worse than what actually happened. The replay I saw it almost looked like a 50/50 ball where Robben got a foot on it just before the Arsenal GK got there. There was contact, but Robben went down like he got shot, not bumped.
    As a relative newcomer to paying attention to soccer, I agree. The red card is SO punitive. It's necessary to prevent dangerous play, I know, but it's such a game-changer. At the same time, yellow cards aren't much of a deterrent at all unless a player already has one. It seems like some kind of intermediate punishment -- orange cards? a penalty box? I don't know -- would be useful for actions that need to be punished beyond "don't do it again today," but not to the point of essentially deciding the match.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    As a relative newcomer to paying attention to soccer, I agree. The red card is SO punitive. It's necessary to prevent dangerous play, I know, but it's such a game-changer. At the same time, yellow cards aren't much of a deterrent at all unless a player already has one. It seems like some kind of intermediate punishment -- orange cards? a penalty box? I don't know -- would be useful for actions that need to be punished beyond "don't do it again today," but not to the point of essentially deciding the match.
    I don't see any problems with the current Red/Yellow card system. Don't forget that yellows carry over to the following games and players are forced to sit out for accumulating yellows. The only thing I would change is to have a replay official who could reverse red cards in cases of obvious simulation. I'd love to see the face of Ronaldo or Robben or some of these other guys when they take an obvious dive in the box to get the card and the penalty, then the call comes down that the card and penalty have been withdrawn and he is now red carded for simulation.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I don't see any problems with the current Red/Yellow card system. Don't forget that yellows carry over to the following games and players are forced to sit out for accumulating yellows. The only thing I would change is to have a replay official who could reverse red cards in cases of obvious simulation. I'd love to see the face of Ronaldo or Robben or some of these other guys when they take an obvious dive in the box to get the card and the penalty, then the call comes down that the card and penalty have been withdrawn and he is now red carded for simulation.
    I was going to type exactly this. There is no reason this shouldn't happen.

With the scoring Liverpool has, and their lack of defense prowess, their games sure keep me interested!

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    With the scoring Liverpool has, and their lack of defense prowess, their games sure keep me interested!
    Watching their games almost feels like watching a different sport. You almost expect to see a goal every other time down the field. Today's game was befuddling. The offense was beautiful watch and the defense was almost non existent. Entertaining game though.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Turn Off Ads?