Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 EPL Thread

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Re: 2013 EPL Thread

You're absolutely right, Fulham-Norwich is huge for both sides. A Norwich win and they're staying up. If Fulham can beat Norwich, they have a chance to pass them. (Even with a draw, they still might get to the final day with a chance.) Cardiff looks done, so that leaves Sunderland as the other team FFC will have to stay ahead of. Sunderland has three games in hand but probably won't get any points out of them (Tottenham, Everton, Man City). Then they face Chelsea, Cardiff, Man United and Swansea. Tough row.

On an unrelated subject, I'm not a Manchester United fan but I am a Juan Mata fan, and that was just brilliant play from him today.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

2. Likes:

3. Turn Off Ads?

If you're a supporter of the Gunners, you may now panic.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

5. Likes:

hebroncougar (04-07-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    There's a glimmer of hope for Fulham after today's win at Villa Park. With the win they move to the top of the bottom three and five out from safety, but they host Norwich next week. If Fulham wins at home, Norwich will find themselves only two points from relegation and the likelihood of securing no points the rest of the way.

Norwich's remaining schedule:

Fulham (A)
    Liverpool (H)
    Man United (A)
    Chelsea (A)
    Arsenal (H)

Meanwhile, Fulham has:

Norwich (H)
    Tottenham (A)
    Hull (H)
    Stoke (A)
    Crystal Palace (H)
    I agree that's a huge game for Norwich, though Liverpool and Arsenal should beware that Norwich fixture. Nothing more dangerous than a team playing for its life.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I agree that's a huge game for Norwich, though Liverpool and Arsenal should beware that Norwich fixture. Nothing more dangerous than a team playing for its life.
    Nothing more dangerous than Luis Suarez against Norwich.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Interesting article here. A bit of statistical analysis regarding Liverpool.

http://liverpooloffside.sbnation.com...13-2014-season
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

Outside of Suarez's diving, the Liverpool/Man City match was spectacular. It was played more like a hockey game than soccer. Both teams came tearing down the field, finding seams in the defense, and assaulting them. Both Hart and Mignolet made spectacular saves. Just a great, great game.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Yep. Liverpool was amazing early on, it took some superb acts of one-on-one defending for City to not be down 3-0 or 4-0. But there was no way that early energy could be sustained and City predictably hit back when the lull occurred.

The game did point out why I originally thought Liverpool wasn't ready to win a title -- the defense is just okay, nothing great. The winning formula is usually to overwhelm the opponent early, get a lead, force the opponent to commit to the attack, then burn them again on counters. But MC is good enough to attack without completely exposing themselves, and if not for Kompany's gaffe they'd be in the driver's seat.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

If you look at the remaining schedule though, Liverpool has as good a chance as anyone to take the title now. The games that are of most concern are Norwich and Palace, both of them being away to teams that are fighting to stay up. They win both of those, I like their chances in the other two which are both at Anfield. I think they can take Chelsea at home, although it will no doubt be another close game.

12. Likes:

hebroncougar (04-13-2014)

I agree. Take care of business next week, then get Chelsea in between two Champion League matches.

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    I agree. Take care of business next week, then get Chelsea in between two Champion League matches.
    Chelsea won't be an easy game though. In fact, they're all going to be tough. They can't take Norwich lightly either. Teams tend to fight when they're in relegation battles. By the way, you going to any of the games in the U.S. this summer? I've got tickets to the one in Chicago, 9 rows up from the field.

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    Outside of Suarez's diving, the Liverpool/Man City match was spectacular. It was played more like a hockey game than soccer. Both teams came tearing down the field, finding seams in the defense, and assaulting them. Both Hart and Mignolet made spectacular saves. Just a great, great game.
    It was a blast to watch. The non-call on the Suarez dive didn't bug me as much as the non-call on the Skrtel handball in the box at the end of the game. That was a straight penalty. Skrtel also had a death clutch on Kompany's jersey on a corner shortly before that. If refs don't call that stuff in big games at crunch time, players are going to keep taking liberties.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    If you look at the remaining schedule though, Liverpool has as good a chance as anyone to take the title now. The games that are of most concern are Norwich and Palace, both of them being away to teams that are fighting to stay up. They win both of those, I like their chances in the other two which are both at Anfield. I think they can take Chelsea at home, although it will no doubt be another close game.
    If the game was at the Bridge, I'd give Chelsea an even money shot of stealing a 1-0 win against Liverpool -- the Blues are simply too strong, defensively, at home. Since the game is at Anfield, I can't see Chelsea taking all 3 points.

It's all good -- we've got CL football to worry about.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    Chelsea won't be an easy game though. In fact, they're all going to be tough. They can't take Norwich lightly either. Teams tend to fight when they're in relegation battles. By the way, you going to any of the games in the U.S. this summer? I've got tickets to the one in Chicago, 9 rows up from the field.
    I'm debating the Charlotte one. My family is in Disney for the Chicago one. My wife swears she'll have me at Anfiled in the next 10 years, and I'm kind of thinking the matches here will be a lot of reserves with the WC just ending, and EPL right around the corner.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    If the game was at the Bridge, I'd give Chelsea an even money shot of stealing a 1-0 win against Liverpool -- the Blues are simply too strong, defensively, at home. Since the game is at Anfield, I can't see Chelsea taking all 3 points.

It's all good -- we've got CL football to worry about.
    Yeah, the CL definitely comes into play. It'll be interesting to see what kind of lineups Chelsea runs out there.

Everton in full-on meltdown mode, down 1-3 at home to Crystal Palace.

And Manchester City has drawn with Sunderland -- now needs both Chelsea and Liverpool to drop points in order to claim the league title.

Crazy day.

Turn Off Ads?