Turn Off Ads?
Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: 2013 EPL Thread

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Re: 2013 EPL Thread

The amount of whining on the internet about Chelsea's "park the bus & counter" strategy on Saturday has reached epic proportions.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Frankly, that's what I expected them to do, and once they got a goal up it really got crowded back there. But if not for Gerrard's blunder, it probably ends 0-0 and Liverpool wouldn't have minded too much.
    Not all who wander are lost

Well, crap.

All Madrid CL final.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Well, crap.

All Madrid CL final.
    Chelsea got itself whipped by a better team, pure and simple. Mou couldn't park the bus because Atletico parks a better bus. He couldn't go for a possession game, because Atletico had a more skilled team. He couldn't make it end-to-end because Atletico had better finishers. There was that brief spell after the Torres goal where you might have thought Chelsea would steal it, but Atletico continued to play with confidence and got itself back in the driver's seat. The talent in Spain really is hellaciously good. EPL fans like to insist Spain is Madrid, Barcelona and a pond full of minnows, but Spain routinely excels in the Europa League (guaranteed to have a finalist this season) and the worst team in La Liga this season (Betis) made it to the Europa League quarterfinals.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Chelsea got itself whipped by a better team, pure and simple. Mou couldn't park the bus because Atletico parks a better bus. He couldn't go for a possession game, because Atletico had a more skilled team. He couldn't make it end-to-end because Atletico had better finishers. There was that brief spell after the Torres goal where you might have thought Chelsea would steal it, but Atletico continued to play with confidence and got itself back in the driver's seat. The talent in Spain really is hellaciously good. EPL fans like to insist Spain is Madrid, Barcelona and a pond full of minnows, but Spain routinely excels in the Europa League (guaranteed to have a finalist this season) and the worst team in La Liga this season (Betis) made it to the Europa League quarterfinals.
    It appeared as if both Chelsea and Bayern screwed themselves in the first game. Both were happy to set up and play a defensive game away. It may have been Chelsea's best chance to advance but in the first leg Bayern kept so much offensive talent on the bench hoping to play for a draw. The second they walked Athletico or Real scored an away goal it was a massive uphill climb for both Chelsea and Bayern.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    When Chelsea went up 1-0, I thought they had it -- because, for the most part, teams don't score on Chelsea at the Bridge. But, as the game wore on, it was clear that Atletico was simply the more talented squad. Their defense was able to pressure without conceding shape, their offense generated great chance after great chance, and the only way Chelsea was able to threaten was off the set pieces. It also didn't help matters that Courtois played out of his mind and made several amazing stops on the few good chances Chelsea had. You combine that with several odd mental lapses from Chelsea in their own end (Ashley Cole backing away from a cross for no reason, Hazard getting caught ball-watching while his man makes an uncontested run, Eto'o making a dumb challenge in the 18, etc.) and the result seemed fairly academic. Candidly, Chelsea probably shouldn't have survived PSG in the last round. They advanced due to a few lucky breaks and some incredibly poor tactics from the PSG side in the 2nd leg.

Mou has some work to do in the offseason.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

This is one of the few times in my life I've found myself rooting for Everton.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

Cincinnati's premiere expedited trucking company

Barkley with an absolute cracker to put Everton up 1-0 over City. Hope this one holds up.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    Barkley with an absolute cracker to put Everton up 1-0 over City. Hope this one holds up.
    Unfortunately, I think Liverpool really screwed themselves last week.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    Unfortunately, I think Liverpool really screwed themselves last week.
    Yep. But then, the reason they controlled their own destiny was Vincent Kompany's late-game howler a couple of weeks previous. Luck doesn't always even out, but sometimes it does. I'm still hoping Liverpool ends up winning it, though.
    Not all who wander are lost

Liverpool really needs a 4-0 or 5-0 win on Monday to tighten up that Goal Differential.

They've got the firepower to do it.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Liverpool really needs a 4-0 or 5-0 win on Monday to tighten up that Goal Differential.

They've got the firepower to do it.
    That would be a lot of goals against Palace, who is in pretty good form and is one of the better defensive teams in the EPL. Seems more like a 2-1 type game.

Wow. As a fan of sports I feel bad for Liverpool fans right now.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Nah. Liverpool still has plenty to feel good about for the season. Disappointed? Sure. But if you'd have told me a top 3 place before the season began I'd have been ecstatic.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Yeah, that was painful, but I'll take the season result, considering what expectations were at the start.

Turn Off Ads?