Turn Off Ads?
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122

Thread: 2013 EPL Thread

Re: 2013 EPL Thread

I'm beyond pissed at this. You *****/moan about the GD buy-back option, and then you have the opportunity to buy him back FOR LESS than what you sold him for, and let him go to a GD direct rival.

It's absolutely inexcusable.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 5TimeWSChamps View Post
    I'm beyond pissed at this. You *****/moan about the GD buy-back option, and then you have the opportunity to buy him back FOR LESS than what you sold him for, and let him go to a GD direct rival.

It's absolutely inexcusable.
    It is inexcusable if Arsenal walks out with the same team in September. If a big time striker and a new right back are brought in, than I'm willing to forgive it a bit, but having Cesc back in the mid field would have looked pretty good.

the big problem is that they bought özil for 50 million... they have a great midfield and it is hard to justify another multi million deal without upgrading the positions with much bigger needs...

I still think that they overpaid big time for özil and that they would be happier with cesc but as a spurs "fan" I like it
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    It is inexcusable if Arsenal walks out with the same team in September.
    See: Last Decade of Arsenal
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Chelsea has really upgraded by selling David Luiz (big plus) and adding Diego Costa and Fabregas. I've always thought Cesc was overrated, but adding Costa while subtracting Luiz is big on its own.

I don't like it because I hate Chelsea. Do they even develop their own players anymore?
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I don't like it because I hate Chelsea. Do they even develop their own players anymore?
    Are you talking about their youth system? Because if so, they haven't developed many in the last 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    Are you talking about their youth system? Because if so, they haven't developed many in the last 10 years.
    Yes. It seems like Chelsea lives on buying up talent from the market rather than actually developing players from their youth ranks.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Wrong thread.
    Last edited by Yachtzee; 06-13-2014 at 04:14 PM.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Yes. It seems like Chelsea lives on buying up talent from the market rather than actually developing players from their youth ranks.
    That's most big clubs anymore, isn't it? Not that I know the rosters up and down, but of the top ten or so clubs in Europe, I doubt any of them are homegrown to a great degree. Could be wrong.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    That's most big clubs anymore, isn't it? Not that I know the rosters up and down, but of the top ten or so clubs in Europe, I doubt any of them are homegrown to a great degree. Could be wrong.
    It depends on what you mean by "home grown". John Terry and Ryan Bertrand the only ones on the team to have come from the youth academy at Chelsea. But, they bought Frank Lampard at a very young age from West Ham.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    It depends on what you mean by "home grown". John Terry and Ryan Bertrand the only ones on the team to have come from the youth academy at Chelsea. But, they bought Frank Lampard at a very young age from West Ham.
    I know it's not an exact analogy to baseball's farm system because of the sport structures, but I apply the same general principles. They don't necessarily have to have signed the player to his initial professional contract. But if he goes straight onto the A-club roster when he's acquired or if he's already been playing at the same level, they don't get credit for developing him. If he's been playing at lower levels and gets farmed out on loan for awhile before making the top club, that would be similar to a baseball team trading for a high-minors prospect and giving him some more seasoning -- partial credit, I guess.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Turn Off Ads?