Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why is Phillips the "ideal" 2 hitter for this team?

Re: Why is Phillips the "ideal" 2 hitter for this team?

After 5,000 at bats why is this even debated anymore? 5,000 at bats with a career OBP of .321. The idea that at 32 years and 5,000 at bats that he can change his approach to find his way to first base holds no water with me. He is a low OBP guy who can't slug anymore either, not a good combination.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I think Brandon is heady enough to change his approach in the 2 spot... I believe he has adapted well before at lead off in the past

.202/.254/.298 hitting lead off last year.

Quote Originally Posted by TitosLoveChild View Post
    What he's saying is basically Phillips isnt hitting for more power this year.

So, Phillips hitting 4th this year thus prompting a change in approach to hit for more power is speculation that didnt bear itself out in a statistical category.

I suppose he couldve actively tried to hit for more power but ended up hitting for less and moving him to the 2 hole could cause him to "change his approach" and hit better....
    I think that's what they're trying to say.
    Reds fan since 1968 win or lose.

The big thing is if we had the two strike Brandon, we would be better off than the no strikes. Based on his performance this year.
    Reds fan since 1968 win or lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Rantly View Post
    I think Brandon is heady enough to change his approach in the 2 spot... I believe he has adapted well before at lead off in the past
    Not trying to be argumentative and this is the last question I'll pose:

At 32 years old and 5,000+ at bats as a low OBP player why would he be able to all of a sudden change? I don't buy it.

Phillips best spot is either the 2 or 5. I like Bruce in the 4 better than Phillips. I would bat him at the 2 only because we do not have another good candidate for the spot.

9. Likes:

UC_Ken (08-18-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by tomnuetten View Post
    but if he would change his approach (away from power hitter that he isnīt towards an obp guy)
    So basically, if he became a different player, he'd be ideal.

Here is the deal with the batting order. There are good hitters, poor hitters and guys in the middle. The Reds with Votto, Choo and Bruce have three good hitters. Votto would be the best choice for every position in the batting order, Choo second best and Bruce third. After that, you go with where the skills match the job description best which puts Choo at the top and Bruce in the middle someplace. Votto would be between the two. Then you really have a bunch of inadequate bats who are all suited for 6th or below. IMO, Phillips isn't an ideal #2 hitter, but may be the least of all the evils to hit there. Despite a couple decent games where he hit some mistakes, I'm not ready to declare Frazier's hitting problems behind him and Ludwick looks like he has a ways to go. Not everybody can hit 7th.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

This is the year

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Here is the deal with the batting order. There are good hitters, poor hitters and guys in the middle. The Reds with Votto, Choo and Bruce have three good hitters. Votto would be the best choice for every position in the batting order, Choo second best and Bruce third. After that, you go with where the skills match the job description best which puts Choo at the top and Bruce in the middle someplace. Votto would be between the two. Then you really have a bunch of inadequate bats who are all suited for 6th or below. IMO, Phillips isn't an ideal #2 hitter, but may be the least of all the evils to hit there. Despite a couple decent games where he hit some mistakes, I'm not ready to declare Frazier's hitting problems behind him and Ludwick looks like he has a ways to go. Not everybody can hit 7th.
    Exactly how i feel.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Sounds good nut is never going to happen. Baker will not bat Bruce behind Votto. Choo Phillips Votto Bruce is best for our team

Phillips...Struggling??? batting nearly .270 and fifth in all of baseball in RBI's????

Wow...I wish I struggled that good at my job.

Yeah I guess I wouldn't call career lows in AVG (2nd lowest), OBP, SLG, OPS struggling either cause, you know, RBI!!!

Turn Off Ads?