Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 42 of 42

Thread: Lasik Surgery

  1. #31
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    42,326

    Re: Lasik Surgery

    If Dan Uggla can get laser surgery isn't that an enhancement?

    I say yes... Pete should be in the Hall!!!

  2. Likes:

    Patrick Bateman (08-14-2013)

  3. Turn Off Ads?
  4. #32
    nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cincy West
    Posts
    4,948

    Re: Lasik Surgery

    Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    I remember Greg Maddox prominently getting vision-correction surgery in the offseason about 10 years back. He pitched much better the following year. Reading this, it surprised me that a team would DL a player who wanted to get it.
    Uggla can't hit anything right now, and they want him back, recovered and seeing better by playoff time, would be my guess.

  5. #33
    Mon chou Choo vaticanplum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    7,182

    Re: Lasik Surgery

    If it turned out that LASIK rots your eyes in old age after a couple of decades of top-level performance, I would be against LASIK for athletes too.

    Those of you arguing that it's no different from performance-enhancing drugs, how do you feel about contact lenses? About wearing a brace for a sprained wrist? About having a stitches on a cut? All of these likely allow you to perform better than having poor eyesight, wrist pain, or profuse bleeding, but none damage your body in the process.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

  6. #34
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,348

    Re: Lasik Surgery

    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    No. No more half measures.
    He would agree.

    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  7. Likes:

    Always Red (08-14-2013), Tom Servo (08-14-2013), vaticanplum (08-14-2013), Wonderful Monds (08-14-2013)

  8. #35
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    42,326

    Re: Lasik Surgery

    Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    If it turned out that LASIK rots your eyes in old age after a couple of decades of top-level performance, I would be against LASIK for athletes too.

    Those of you arguing that it's no different from performance-enhancing drugs, how do you feel about contact lenses? About wearing a brace for a sprained wrist? About having a stitches on a cut? All of these likely allow you to perform better than having poor eyesight, wrist pain, or profuse bleeding, but none damage your body in the process.
    Or a cortisone shot in your elbow before a game in the World Series!!

    Pete should be in the Hall!!!!

  9. #36
    nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cincy West
    Posts
    4,948

    Re: Lasik Surgery

    Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    If it turned out that LASIK rots your eyes in old age after a couple of decades of top-level performance, I would be against LASIK for athletes too.

    Those of you arguing that it's no different from performance-enhancing drugs, how do you feel about contact lenses? About wearing a brace for a sprained wrist? About having a stitches on a cut? All of these likely allow you to perform better than having poor eyesight, wrist pain, or profuse bleeding, but none damage your body in the process.
    You're assuming that PEDS always damage your body. Many here are assuming that PEDS ALWAYS damage your body.

    They don't, steroids and HGH are used every day by physicians to treat all kind of medical problems. When used responsibly, under a physicians care, they are safer than eating fast food, as TSJ55 said above. Ken Caminiti, of course, is the poster child for taking way too many steroids.

    The poison is in the dosage.

    Does that mean they should be legal for MLB'ers? I have no idea, that's not up to me to decide. But I'm here to tell you right now, PEDS can/could be used in a responsible manner, under a physicians care. After all, these are prescription drugs. Does that mean they should be used, even if under the care of a doc? I would say not, mostly because of the trickle down effect it would have on college and high school players, and the occasional little leaguer with the gung ho dad.

  10. #37
    Mon chou Choo vaticanplum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    7,182

    Re: Lasik Surgery

    Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    You're assuming that PEDS always damage your body. Many here are assuming that PEDS ALWAYS damage your body.

    They don't, steroids and HGH are used every day by physicians to treat all kind of medical problems. When used responsibly, under a physicians care, they are safer than eating fast food, as TSJ55 said above. Ken Caminiti, of course, is the poster child for taking way too many steroids.

    The poison is in the dosage.

    Does that mean they should be legal for MLB'ers? I have no idea, that's not up to me to decide. But I'm here to tell you right now, PEDS can/could be used in a responsible manner, under a physicians care. After all, these are prescription drugs. Does that mean they should be used, even if under the care of a doc? I would say not, mostly because of the trickle down effect it would have on college and high school players, and the occasional little leaguer with the gung ho dad.
    Fair point. Besides the trickle down effect you mention, I think the other major reason this walks a fine line is because it would be so hard to monitor, and to monitor uniformly. Physicians likely have slightly different opinions of what a "dangerous" dosage is, and a dangerous dosage probably also varies from patient to patient. That's a legal nightmare.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

  11. #38
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.
    Posts
    10,559

    Re: Lasik Surgery

    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    No. No more half measures.

    LASIK and Tommy John for EVERYONE!
    If you take it that far, then all women who attend baseball games must have mandatory breast enhancements.

    Surely Sammy Sosa shouldn't be the only one in the ball park with corked bats.

  12. Likes:

    Wonderful Monds (08-14-2013)

  13. #39
    Member Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,690

    Re: Lasik Surgery

    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    If you take it that far, then all women who attend baseball games must have mandatory breast enhancements.

    Surely Sammy Sosa shouldn't be the only one in the ball park with corked bats.
    And boom goes the dynamite!
    They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    He has also taught me that even when the Reds win it is important to focus on the fact that they could have lost.

  14. #40
    nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cincy West
    Posts
    4,948

    Re: Lasik Surgery

    Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Fair point. Besides the trickle down effect you mention, I think the other major reason this walks a fine line is because it would be so hard to monitor, and to monitor uniformly. Physicians likely have slightly different opinions of what a "dangerous" dosage is, and a dangerous dosage probably also varies from patient to patient. That's a legal nightmare.
    Not to mention the occasional completely unscrupulous physician, ala "Dr. Feelgood"

  15. #41
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    180

    Re: Lasik Surgery

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Not to threadjack, but I have a question:

    Setting aside the legalities, what's the moral difference between a player that gets the Lasik medical treatment to improve his performance and a player who uses PEDs to improve his?
    Have you heard of Neil deGrasse Tyson? If so you should see his recent Twitter posts about the subject of "performance enhancing drugs".

  16. #42
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,722

    Re: Lasik Surgery

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Not to threadjack, but I have a question:

    Setting aside the legalities, what's the moral difference between a player that gets the Lasik medical treatment to improve his performance and a player who uses PEDs to improve his?
    I've had the same question. I do think there is a difference because use of PEDs puts pressure on other players to risk their health by using too to keep up where Lasik doesn't (theoretically) create that health risk.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25