Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Reds vs Cubs 8/14/13 -- A sweep day at Wrigley?

Re: Reds vs Cubs 8/14/13 -- A sweep day at Wrigley?

You cannot have too much pitching. I am calling it right now. This team will reprise 39-40 and 75-76. Two straight World Series appearances. Get those October vacation requests in now.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    But when the conversation is whether the Reds have "turned a corner" why ignore beating a very good team in two straight games? I don't see what being a "nemesis" has anything to do with it. Winning is winning and beating a good team is not easy regardless of who it is.
    Wasn't trying to forget them, I could barely remember who was before the Cubs (Padres did come to mind finally). I didn't look back at the schedule. I agree 2 wins over them is nice.

If someone told you that the Reds would be +16 on August 14 and on pace for 92 wins, would that really be disappointing? I know folks were hoping for 95-100 wins, but that's really not far off the pace.

It hasn't always 'felt' like it, but the Reds are having a good season nonetheless.
    It may have been a good season considering, but its still been disappointing. With this kind of pitching, even with the loss of JC, we should have a better record. The non-pitchers have under achieved at bat, on defense, and running the bases. Hopefully, with Ludwick back, that will change around.

Masterful performance by Arroyo today.

This off-season, they are seriously going to have to consider trading Bailey and keeping Arroyo. They'd get a good Right-handed bat for Bailey, but nothing for Arroyo (except for draft pick(s) depending upon many factors). Bailey has not progressed as much as has been hoped for, while Arroyo is actually getting better and looks like he could give a solid three years to the team in a new contract. That new contract, however, could keep the REDS from doing other things, so all of that has to be considered, also.

Anyway, congrats to Arroyo and his dominating performance today.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    It may have been a good season considering, but its still been disappointing. With this kind of pitching, even with the loss of JC, we should have a better record. The non-pitchers have under achieved at bat, on defense, and running the bases. Hopefully, with Ludwick back, that will change around.
    Come on man, you can't tell me that if someone had told you that the Reds would have Ludwick out of the lineup for 4 1/2 months, Cueto make only a handful of starts, Marshall would miss almost all season, Broxton miss well over a month and that the Reds would be relying on Manny Parra in the bullpen for significant innings while Todd Frazier had a .225 BA and Xavier Paul, Chris Heisey and Derrick Robinson split time in left that you wouldn't be thrilled to still be on pace for 92 wins.

Given all the Reds have overcome thus far, they deserve far more credit than they're getting.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

7. Likes:

dabvu2498 (08-14-2013),HeatherC1212 (08-15-2013),KittyDuran (08-14-2013),PuffyPig (08-14-2013),Raisor (08-14-2013),RedTeamGo! (08-15-2013)

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

4th in the NL in pitching, 4th in runs scored, I'm not seeing that the pitching is carrying the hitting.

If someone told you that the Reds would be +16 on August 14 and on pace for 92 wins, would that really be disappointing? I know folks were hoping for 95-100 wins, but that's really not far off the pace.

It hasn't always 'felt' like it, but the Reds are having a good season nonetheless.
    We don't play the Astros 15-18 times this year either, and still on pace to win 92.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

10. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (08-15-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    We don't play the Astros 15-18 times this year either, and still on pace to win 92.
    True. And the Cubs are better than they were last year, while the Pirates and Cardinals have been two of the top teams in baseball all season.

Needless to say, the Reds are in a really tough division.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    4th in the NL in pitching, 4th in runs scored, I'm not seeing that the pitching is carrying the hitting.
    You're ignoring the ball park we play in. It makes those stats meaningless. I seriously doubt that the majority of Red's fans are satisfied with the way the offense has performed, Ludwick or no Ludwick.

13. Likes:

OnBaseMachine (08-15-2013),texasdave (08-15-2013)

Come on man, you can't tell me that if someone had told you that the Reds would have Ludwick out of the lineup for 4 1/2 months, Cueto make only a handful of starts, Marshall would miss almost all season, Broxton miss well over a month and that the Reds would be relying on Manny Parra in the bullpen for significant innings while Todd Frazier had a .225 BA and Xavier Paul, Chris Heisey and Derrick Robinson split time in left that you wouldn't be thrilled to still be on pace for 92 wins.

Given all the Reds have overcome thus far, they deserve far more credit than they're getting.
    Sorry to have upset the pollyana crowd. Its not a question of giving credit. Its an issue of whether the boys are playing up to expectations. Name one player on offense who is doing as well as you expected at the beginning of the year. Name one.

Sorry to have upset the pollyana crowd. Its not a question of giving credit. Its an issue of whether the boys are playing up to expectations. Name one player on offense who is doing as well as you expected at the beginning of the year. Name one.
    I'll name several. Choo, Phillips, Mesoraco, Cozart, Paul and Bruce are all doing what I expected from them. Votto is only minimally less than I expected, but certainly not enough I'd consider him a 'disappointment.'

Really, to be perfectly honest, the only hitter in the Reds lineup that has been disappointing for me is Frazier. But while his offense has been below what I expected, his defense has been a pleasant surprise.

Not sure what you expected, but the team is in the upper 75 percentile of baseball in runs scored. Without Ludwick in the lineup, I can't imagine you truly had radically different expectations.

Cesar Izturis is hitting just about what I thought he would hit.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Cesar Izturis is hitting just about what I thought he would hit.
    I thought he'd do better, but I'm an optimist.

I'll name several. Choo, Phillips, Mesoraco, Cozart, Paul and Bruce are all doing what I expected from them. Votto is only minimally less than I expected, but certainly not enough I'd consider him a 'disappointment.'

Really, to be perfectly honest, the only hitter in the Reds lineup that has been disappointing for me is Frazier. But while his offense has been below what I expected, his defense has been a pleasant surprise.

Not sure what you expected, but the team is in the upper 75 percentile of baseball in runs scored. Without Ludwick in the lineup, I can't imagine you truly had radically different expectations.

Choo is playing as well as you expected? Cozart? BP? (I'll cut BP some slack because of the beaning). I had decent xpectations even without ludwick because I thought Choo would be such a major addition over Stubbs offensivly. And I certainly cant figure the decline in defense and fundmentals which has taken place. On the otherhand some have super performed, all pitchers. Cingrani, Arroro. Latos, Leach. Para and hoover, Keepin us within shouting ditance. hopfiully ludwick would be the spark.

Question: for the season not to be disappointing at this point, how many wins should the team have and how many runs per game should they score?

Turn Off Ads?