Turn Off Ads?
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Reds vs Cubs 8/14/13 -- A sweep day at Wrigley?

Re: Reds vs Cubs 8/14/13 -- A sweep day at Wrigley?

Tweet from Peter Gammons:

Since being traded for Willy Mo Pena in March, 2006, Bronson Arroyo leads the NL in innings and wins
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

2. Likes:

Chip R (08-15-2013),OnBaseMachine (08-15-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    You're ignoring the ball park we play in. It makes those stats meaningless. I seriously doubt that the majority of Red's fans are satisfied with the way the offense has performed, Ludwick or no Ludwick.
    I was unaware the Reds play all 162 at home.

If you actually look at the numbers (I know, why look at the numbers when you can just blindly make statements?) you will notice there is not much of a difference between home and away offensive stats.

Home:
    265 runs
    104 2B
    6 3B
    60 HR

Away:
    251 runs
    109 2B
    9 3B
    54 HR

My opinion? If you are honestly disappointed with this season, you should probably just stick to football.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Question: for the season not to be disappointing at this point, how many wins should the team have and how many runs per game should they score?
    Aren't you the one who predicted them winning the division by ten games? Given that expectation, they must be a disappointment

Quote Originally Posted by redssince75 View Post
    No, I liked the wins against Oakland. But they don't feel like an "old nemesis" and a hurdle we need to get over, like the Cardinals. (Or even the Phillies or Giants, I guess I have playoff trauma). The last time we played Oakland in the playoffs, we swept them 4.
    They're 6-1 vs the Giants (4-2 vs Philly)...What more do you want?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Aren't you the one who predicted them winning the division by ten games? Given that expectation, they must be a disappointment
    Season isn't over yet.

Choo is playing as well as you expected? Cozart? BP? (I'll cut BP some slack because of the beaning). I had decent xpectations even without ludwick because I thought Choo would be such a major addition over Stubbs offensivly. And I certainly cant figure the decline in defense and fundmentals which has taken place. On the otherhand some have super performed, all pitchers. Cingrani, Arroro. Latos, Leach. Para and hoover, Keepin us within shouting ditance. hopfiully ludwick would be the spark.
    Choo's career OPS was .847 before the season. It's .854 right now. I'm not sure why you expected something different?
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

9. Likes:

Raisor (08-15-2013),Tom Servo (08-15-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    Choo's career OPS was .847 before the season. It's .854 right now. I'm not sure why you expected something different?
    Anything less than 1.000 is disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    They're 6-1 vs the Giants (4-2 vs Philly)...What more do you want?
    Good point.

I guess the "more I want" is for them to have that kind of record against the Cardinals (I live in SL, so I'm naturally skewed on what I see and care about), and to win a playoff series or two.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    My opinion? If you are honestly disappointed with this season, you should probably just stick to football.
    So if a fan is "honestly disappointed" in the performance of their team, they should stop being a fan. I don't think much of that opinion.

13. Likes:

OnBaseMachine (08-15-2013)

So if a fan is "honestly disappointed" in the performance of their team, they should stop being a fan. I don't think much of that opinion.
    It might have been lost up thread:

What record would the Reds need to have today for you to not be disappointed?

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    Cherry picking. Choo's career Numbers are distorted by one very bad injury ridden year. His WAR is 3 points lower than what it was in 2010-2011 playing in a much friendlier hitters park. I expected better.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    It might have been lost up thread:

What record would the Reds need to have today for you to not be disappointed?
    The defense has been a huge disappointment. Their inability to play ever average fundamental baseball, particlarly when running the bases, has been a disappointment. Considering the quality of the pitching, this team should be doing better. On paper they are better than the Pirates.

I think they should be about 5 wins better than they've achieved so far.

Hm, definitely didn't say that. I said in this particular season, one in which the Reds are 16 games above .500 despite the fact they have had injuries to their ace, cleanup hitter, catcher and 2nd and 3rd best relievers.

You can obviously do whatever you want with your fandom, but your mentality is similar to a football fans mentality.

The defense has been a huge disappointment. Their inability to play ever average fundamental baseball, particlarly when running the bases, has been a disappointment. Considering the quality of the pitching, this team should be doing better. On paper they are better than the Pirates.

I think they should be about 5 wins better than they've achieved so far.
    With 5 more wins the Reds would be 73-47 (would be 1/2 behind the braves for best record in MLB)

So, basically, you are disappointed because the Reds do not have the 2nd best record in baseball (1/2 game behind the braves)

Gotcha.

19. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (08-16-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Hm, definitely didn't say that. I said in this particular season, one in which the Reds are 16 games above .500 despite the fact they have had injuries to their ace, cleanup hitter, catcher and 2nd and 3rd best relievers.

You can obviously do whatever you want with your fandom, but your mentality is similar to a football fans mentality.
    And you're bordering on the ad hominems.
    A football fan thinks in terms of a sprint rather than a marathon. If you are suggesting that I don't look at the "big 162" you haven't been reading my posts over the years.
    As of 8/15/13, all things considered, particularly the step up performances by Latos, Bronson, Leake, Cingrani, Hoover, and Para, the Reds have been a disappointment.

Turn Off Ads?