Turn Off Ads?
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617

Thread: Reds vs Cubs 8/14/13 -- A sweep day at Wrigley?

Re: Reds vs Cubs 8/14/13 -- A sweep day at Wrigley?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    With 5 more wins the Reds would be 73-47 (would be 1/2 behind the braves for best record in MLB)

So, basically, you are disappointed because the Reds do not have the 2nd best record in baseball (1/2 game behind the braves)

Gotcha.
    Yeah, pretty much where we were at last year when we had Stubbs playing every day instead of Choo.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Tough crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Tough crowd.
    You really predicted they'd win the division by 10? I'd sure like to see that post.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    You really predicted they'd win the division by 10? I'd sure like to see that post.
    Over and over. Easiest to find is probably the win prediction thread.

Still think they can do it too. But I'm not going to be disappointed in the regular season unless the don't make the playoffs.

My disappointment level will grow higher for every level they reach:

Win World Series no disappointment.
    Win NL lose World Series disappointed
    Make NL championship. Don't make World Series- more disappointed.
    Don't make NL championship more disappointed
    So on and so forth

Cherry picking. Choo's career Numbers are distorted by one very bad injury ridden year. His WAR is 3 points lower than what it was in 2010-2011 playing in a much friendlier hitters park. I expected better.
    He has almost 3,500 plate appearances (and will after tonight or tomorrow) and you think one injury-riddled, 350-PA season that was 100 points below his average drastically changes his career OPS?

But you know what? We'll play along. Even if you completely exclude his 2011 season, his career OPS coming into the year was .860. It's .854.

So I ask again, what sort of expectations did you have for him?
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    He has almost 3,500 plate appearances (and will after tonight or tomorrow) and you think one injury-riddled, 350-PA season that was 100 points below his average drastically changes his career OPS?

But you know what? We'll play along. Even if you completely exclude his 2011 season, his career OPS coming into the year was .860. It's .854.

So I ask again, what sort of expectations did you have for him?
    I thought he'd hit better than .270. A 2.3 WAR is disappointing. I'm surprised at how many boneheaded plays he makes. His defense has been fine.
    I thought the change of scenery and playing in this little league park combined with relativly good health would trigger big numbers. Hasn't happened.

4th best obp in the majors

he is the leadoff hitter. it is his job to get on base and this season he is literally the best leadoff hitter on the planet in that category.

Quote Originally Posted by redssince75 View Post
    Good point.

I guess the "more I want" is for them to have that kind of record against the Cardinals (I live in SL, so I'm naturally skewed on what I see and care about), and to win a playoff series or two.
    I'm disappointed that they have't fared better againt good teams but overall they're right where I figured they'd be. The Pirates and Cards are ahead of where I thought they'd be

10. Likes:

757690 (08-15-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I'm disappointed that they have't fared better againt good teams but overall they're right where I figured they'd be. The Pirates and Cards are ahead of where I thought they'd be
    Exactly. It seemed that the prevailing view going into this season was that the Reds wouldn't win as many games as last year, but that their wasn't much competition in the division, so they would win it easily. Very few predicted the Pirates and Cards would be this good this late into the season.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

You're ignoring the ball park we play in. It makes those stats meaningless. I seriously doubt that the majority of Red's fans are satisfied with the way the offense has performed, Ludwick or no Ludwick.
    Hasn't GABP played as a pretty fair park over the years? Heavy on the homers yes, but I think on runs scored it hasn't been too much of an offensive park.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Hasn't GABP played as a pretty fair park over the years? Heavy on the homers yes, but I think on runs scored it hasn't been too much of an offensive park.
    This means that in the years 2010-2012, Great American Ballpark produced 107 runs for every 100 runs produced in the average MLB park, and 135 HRs for every 100 homers, for a mean Park Factor of 121.

This is an extreme hitter's park.
    http://www.parkfactors.com/CIN

For 2013 it is the fifth-best park in the majors for scoring per ESPN.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/parkfactor

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Thems the facts. If it wasn't Joey it'd have a lot more legs.
    Then there are those who create this need to dog on someone because they feel like they get special treatment in some environment. That's what I'm seeing.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Then there are those who create this need to dog on someone because they feel like they get special treatment in some environment. That's what I'm seeing.
    I can only speak for myself and I don't like to see any Cin Red not hustling. I hope it was an attitude thing rather than an injury. If it is attitude, I hope Dusty speaks to him

GABP is not an "extreme" hitters park. It's a home-run hitters park, but it suppresses doubles and hits in general.

In fact, from 2006-2012, it was anywhere between 7th-18th in runs, with no more than 11% above average in a given year.

While it's certainly a hitter's park, it's really only been an "extreme" park about once in its history.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Turn Off Ads?