Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 107

Thread: MLB considering instant replay for everything (except balls & strikes)

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,692

    MLB considering instant replay for everything (except balls & strikes)

    It's still possible it could be in place by next season.
    http://deadspin.com/mlb-set-to-consi...ery-1137610450
    They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    He has also taught me that even when the Reds win it is important to focus on the fact that they could have lost.

  2. #2
    Member NebraskaRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Lincoln, NE
    Posts
    1,415

    Re: MLB considering instant replay for everything (except balls & strikes)

    I'm all for it as long as they have rules in place that give each team a limited number of instant replay appeals per game. Otherwise this could get ridiculous, where every 2 minutes a manager asks for an instant replay review.

  3. Likes:

    Chip R (08-14-2013), TeamCasey (08-14-2013)

  4. #3
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    10,701

    Re: MLB considering instant replay for everything (except balls & strikes)

    Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    I'm all for it as long as they have rules in place that give each team a limited number of instant replay appeals per game. Otherwise this could get ridiculous, where every 2 minutes a manager asks for an instant replay review.
    I don't want any appeals from the manager. I would like it set up like college football, or the last two minutes of an NFL game. An ump in a booth somewhere, looking over every play. If he sees something worth reviewing, he contacts the umps on the field. That would be the speediest, least intrusive and fairest way to handle it, imo.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

  5. Likes:

    AtomicDumpling (08-14-2013), BluegrassRedleg (08-15-2013), Cursh14 (03-10-2014), mth123 (08-14-2013), Norm Chortleton (08-15-2013), RedsBaron (08-14-2013), remdog (08-15-2013), Roy Tucker (08-15-2013), thatcoolguy_22 (12-02-2013), The DARK (08-14-2013), Tom Servo (08-14-2013), vaticanplum (08-14-2013), Wonderful Monds (08-14-2013)

  6. #4
    Where's my chair? REDREAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    21,095

    Re: MLB considering instant replay for everything (except balls & strikes)

    I'm all for it, within the bounds of common sense (Either limited number of challenges or the having ump monitors jump in whenever there's a doubt).

    If done correctly, this is not going to extend the game at all.
    How much time is wasted today because the manager or 1b coach feels obligated to argue with the ump (Even though there's no chance of an overturn).

    Plus, it opens the door for automated ball/strike calls in the future
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

    Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

  7. #5
    Member Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,692

    Re: MLB considering instant replay for everything (except balls & strikes)

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I don't want any appeals from the manager. I would like it set up like college football, or the last two minutes of an NFL game. An ump in a booth somewhere, looking over every play. If he sees something worth reviewing, he contacts the umps on the field. That would be the speediest, least intrusive and fairest way to handle it, imo.
    I'm fine with that.
    They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    He has also taught me that even when the Reds win it is important to focus on the fact that they could have lost.

  8. #6
    Big Red Machine RedsBaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Out Wayne
    Posts
    22,851

    Re: MLB considering instant replay for everything (except balls & strikes)

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I don't want any appeals from the manager. I would like it set up like college football, or the last two minutes of an NFL game. An ump in a booth somewhere, looking over every play. If he sees something worth reviewing, he contacts the umps on the field. That would be the speediest, least intrusive and fairest way to handle it, imo.
    Works for me.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

  9. #7
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,570

    Re: MLB considering instant replay for everything (except balls & strikes)

    Yeah I think this can be a good thing as long as it's not overused. If we start stopping the game to review everything, it will be a mockery.

    I think fair/foul, homer/no homer and those things should be reviewed automatically on each play. I think there should be some limitations for reviewing out/safe calls.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  10. Likes:

    George Anderson (08-14-2013)

  11. #8
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,452

    Re: MLB considering instant replay for everything (except balls & strikes)

    Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    Yeah I think this can be a good thing as long as it's not overused. If we start stopping the game to review everything, it will be a mockery.

    I think fair/foul, homer/no homer and those things should be reviewed automatically on each play. I think there should be some limitations for reviewing out/safe calls.
    I'd hate to see it be like the NBA where every close play in the last 2 minutes, the game stops for 5 minutes while they look at the replay.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  12. Likes:

    Tom Servo (08-14-2013)

  13. #9
    Member Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,692

    Re: MLB considering instant replay for everything (except balls & strikes)

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I'd hate to see it be like the NBA where every close play in the last 2 minutes, the game stops for 5 minutes while they look at the replay.
    Yeah no need to do that. Just hire 15 more umpires and create the central umpire station, have one assigned to each game to follow along the whole time and buzz in when needed.
    They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    He has also taught me that even when the Reds win it is important to focus on the fact that they could have lost.

  14. #10
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,452

    Re: MLB considering instant replay for everything (except balls & strikes)

    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Yeah no need to do that. Just hire 15 more umpires and create the central umpire station, have one assigned to each game to follow along the whole time and buzz in when needed.
    Of course, who needs an umpire? Hire someone with good enough vision and have them tell the head umpire if someone's safe or out or a ball is foul or fair.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  15. #11
    We Need Our Myths reds1869's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Overlooking GABP
    Posts
    4,469

    Re: MLB considering instant replay for everything (except balls & strikes)

    The system to model on is the NHL. Hopefully the plan they ultimately adopt is like hockey's. It sounds like they are trying to build a "best of all worlds" system, which is great if they succeed.

  16. #12
    Member Superdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,795

    Re: MLB considering instant replay for everything (except balls & strikes)

    Can they figure out how to do this without all the umpires scuttling off to the bowels of the stadium for fifteen minutes?

  17. #13
    We Need Our Myths reds1869's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Overlooking GABP
    Posts
    4,469

    Re: MLB considering instant replay for everything (except balls & strikes)

    Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    Can they figure out how to do this without all the umpires scuttling off to the bowels of the stadium for fifteen minutes?
    Like I said, the NHL system of centralized video umps is the way to go. Takes seconds to make a decision.

  18. Likes:

    Crumbley (08-14-2013)

  19. #14
    Mon chou Choo vaticanplum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    7,212

    Re: MLB considering instant replay for everything (except balls & strikes)

    Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    Like I said, the NHL system of centralized video umps is the way to go. Takes seconds to make a decision.
    My favorite thing in hockey, hands down, is when they have to "call Toronto". In fact I think MLB should do the same thing. With Toronto specifically.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

  20. Likes:

    Crumbley (08-14-2013), westofyou (08-14-2013), Wonderful Monds (08-14-2013)

  21. #15
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    42,896

    Re: MLB considering instant replay for everything (except balls & strikes)

    Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    My favorite thing in hockey, hands down, is when they have to "call Toronto". In fact I think MLB should do the same thing. With Toronto specifically.
    That's the "War Room" in Toronto


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25