Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why not Tulo?

Why not Tulo?

Let me start off by saying I know Troy Tulowitzki is still owed $118 million over 6 years, so the prospects of this deal are unlikely at best. That being said, we've been so focused on improving left field, what if Walt and Bob shocked us and made a play for Tulo?

Before immediately poo pooing this idea, hear me out. The Rockies are clearly in a rebuilding mode, and have been frustrated with Tulo's inability to stay on the field. Likewise, Tulo seems to be tired of residing in the basement annually with an organization that's seemingly lost.

Some of Walt's best deals have come in similar situations. Poaching Big Mac from the A's when his time was up there, reeling in Jim Edmonds from the Angels, acquiring Scott Rolen from the Cardinals. He's practically made a career out of acquiring guys that aren't at the peak of their value at the time of the deal, but turn things around quickly once granted a change of scenery.

In some of these deals the Cardinals took on a lot of money, but they didn't give up much prospect-wise for any of the above players. May Bob be willing to do the same with the Reds? With his value at quite possibly its lowest in years due to his salary and injury history, we may not have to shatter the farm system to make this deal. Financially, it's unlikely we can make it happen with the commitments we already have to Votto, Phillips, Bailey, and Cueto's pending free agency.

But if the Reds are hell-bent on going for it this year, the year they host the All Star Game, and they know they can't resign Cueto and are resigned to losing him, couldn't Tulo's salary slot in to Cueto's spot while the Reds reached into their minor league system for needed depth to replace Johnny?

There doesn't seem to be a clear fit in terms of a LF to dramatically increase the Reds. But that doesn't mean there's not a right handed hitter out there that can be the middle of the order bat the Reds need.

Once again, I highly doubt we bite the bullet on this deal because of our financial state and our desire to retain Cueto. But Walt has a history of spinning deals like this, and of going under the radar in doing so. It would be a risk, but I think it'd be one I'd be willing to take.

Granted, it's not my money .

Merry Christmas everyone!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Why not Tulo?

Let me start off by saying I know Troy Tulowitzki is still owed $118 million over 6 years
    I know you try to answer the argument against this and acknowledge knowing it, but there's really no need to continue after this statement.

4. Likes:

joshua (12-25-2014),Norm Chortleton (12-25-2014)

Using the Cueto money for Tulo is an interesting idea (as I'm pretty sure if Cueto would sign for 6 years for 106 million they'd sign it today). But, the fact that Tulo is basically never healthy, and is now a SS going into his 30s gives me pause.

I don't think the idea is totally off base.

And while we're talking Rockies, I'd take a look at CarGo as well.

Clearly either of these scenarios could/would only be possible if they decided to let Cueto walk (and/or trade him).
    Go BLUE!!!

I'd love to take the money we would pay Cueto and spend it on offense, but Tulo isn't a wise investment. Especially considering that the conversation would start with Stephenson and Winker.

There are smarter ways to win. I think whoever does end up getting Tulo when the Rockies inevitably end up trading him will get fleeces. Like Mr Hamburger said, he's always injured and is exiting his prime. Who knows what he's going to do in the future

If people think Votto is fragile and an injury risk, they'll love Tulo.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

9. Likes:

OC_Red (07-22-2015),Roy Tucker (12-26-2014),villain612 (12-26-2014)

Misallocation of funds and resources.

Quote Originally Posted by joshua View Post
    I'd love to take the money we would pay Cueto and spend it on offense, but Tulo isn't a wise investment. Especially considering that the conversation would start with Stephenson and Winker.

There are smarter ways to win. I think whoever does end up getting Tulo when the Rockies inevitably end up trading him will get fleeces. Like Mr Hamburger said, he's always injured and is exiting his prime. Who knows what he's going to do in the future
    Stephenson for sure although they might be able to keep Winker. But, how much a team would have to give up probably depends on how much money is in the deal.

I like some risks, just not health risks. No thanks.

13. Likes:

Mitri (12-26-2014)

Tulo would be the hottest commodity in baseball short of Mike Trout/Bryce Harper if not for that injury history.

Year.........DL..........................Days out....Injury
    2014........60-DL......................76.............Quadriceps, right side sprain, groin, hip torn labrum surgery
    2013........15-DL......................34.............Left Rotator Cuff, lower leg cramps, fractured rib, oblique strain
    2012........15-DL......................128...........Hip Flexor strain, groin(X2) including surgery
    2011........................................16.... .........Heel Contusion, Quadriceps, hip bursitis(X3)
    2010........15-DL......................47.............Quadriceps, Groin(X2), fracture hamate -
    2009.......................................15..... ........Low Back(X2),Quadriceps, L Hand, GI tract
    2008........15-DL(X2)...............67.............Quadriceps,thu mb

Now, if you can give away BP and get him to waive his no trade ($39 million saved), give a good enough prospect package to get the Rockies to pay 18 million, you could shave his cost to 61 million over 6 years. Or move Cueto and use future savings. There are ways it could be done. Then we'd have an offense that roared when Votto and Tulo managed to make it into the lineup on the same days. They would be tremendous for those 12 games every year.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

15. Likes:

bucksfan2 (12-26-2014),Old school 1983 (12-26-2014),RedsManRick (12-26-2014)

6 years, $118 million for Tulo looks like a bargain compared to what the Reds are paying Votto, Bailey and Phillips.

That said, it will never happen. I'd love to be wrong.

Trade Bailey for him

18. Likes:

757690 (12-26-2014)

Tulo is one of the last players in MLB that the Reds have any business even consider thinking about trying to acquire. Heading into free agency, injury-prone and massively paid. A guy that would eat up resources (money & young talent).

20. Likes:

joshua (12-28-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Tulo would be the hottest commodity in baseball short of Mike Trout/Bryce Harper if not for that injury history.

Year.........DL..........................Days out....Injury
    2014........60-DL......................76.............Quadriceps, right side sprain, groin, hip torn labrum surgery
    2013........15-DL......................34.............Left Rotator Cuff, lower leg cramps, fractured rib, oblique strain
    2012........15-DL......................128...........Hip Flexor strain, groin(X2) including surgery
    2011........................................16.... .........Heel Contusion, Quadriceps, hip bursitis(X3)
    2010........15-DL......................47.............Quadriceps, Groin(X2), fracture hamate -
    2009.......................................15..... ........Low Back(X2),Quadriceps, L Hand, GI tract
    2008........15-DL(X2)...............67.............Quadriceps,thu mb

Now, if you can give away BP and get him to waive his no trade ($39 million saved), give a good enough prospect package to get the Rockies to pay 18 million, you could shave his cost to 61 million over 6 years. Or move Cueto and use future savings. There are ways it could be done. Then we'd have an offense that roared when Votto and Tulo managed to make it into the lineup on the same days. They would be tremendous for those 12 games every year.
    Even with the injuries, he's averaged 5+ WAR per year. $20M/year for 5 WAR would be a steal in today's market.

Would anybody object to paying Jay Bruce $15M/year assuming he gives you 4 WAR? It's functionally equivalent.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Trade Bailey for him
    Bailey's an iron man health wise by comparison.

Turn Off Ads?