Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB considering instant replay for everything (except balls & strikes)

Re: MLB considering instant replay for everything (except balls & strikes)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    That's the "War Room" in Toronto
    They should be in the SAME ROOM.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

2. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (08-14-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Count me as against it.

And I'm for it in pretty much any other sport.

But not baseball.

Baseball is a kids game, and there are many life lessons to be learned from it. One of those lessons is: life isn't fair. Sometimes you do everything right and you still get hosed.

The day they start using computers for balls/strikes and reviewing every play that might not have been the right call, is the day baseball dies, in my opinion.

Baseball doesn't need to be perfect, and would be ruined if it was.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Count me as against it.

But not baseball.

Baseball is a kids game, and there are many life lessons to be learned from it. One of those lessons is: life isn't fair. Sometimes you do everything right and you still get hosed.

The day they start using computers for balls/strikes and reviewing every play that might not have been the right call, is the day baseball dies, in my opinion.

Hockey is a kids game, started as Shinny, Basketball was created in the YMCA.. for KIDS!!!

Football was invented by idiot college kids on the booze so I don't care if they use instant replay

Robot umps sound boring to me though

6. Likes:

savafan (08-15-2013),thatcoolguy_22 (12-02-2013),Wonderful Monds (08-14-2013)

Count me as against it.

But not baseball.

So all the other sports aren't kids' games?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Count me as against it.

But not baseball.

I hear this argument a lot, and I'm sorry, but I just don't buy it at all. Baseball will never be "perfect", and I have yet to hear a sound explanation of what would be "ruined" if accuracy were improved.

Instant replay wasn't instituted in baseball from the start not to keep it a kids' game or to make it similar to life. It wasn't instituted because it didn't exist. If you want to keep Little League as a kids' game, then fine, keep instant replay out of Little League (though I don't even see the correlation between a lack of accurate calls and childhood). MLB is a billion-dollar business with men and women making their living from it. The fairness and accuracy of their living can depend on those calls.

It's the "life isn't fair" argument that gets me most of all. Life isn't "fair" when something is out of your control and you have to learn to accept that with grace and move on. We all get that lesson in situations aplenty, and there are always going to be things that we can't do anything about. They tend to be the bigger situations: love, illness, death, etc. As time goes on and the world progresses, if we gain control over situations like these, we usually take it. We don't reject chemo because cancer is part of life not being fair. Sure, life isn't fair. Here's an opportunity to make it fairer. It's a no-brainer to me.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

9. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (08-14-2013),blumj (08-14-2013),Caveman Techie (08-16-2013),NebraskaRed (08-14-2013),REDREAD (08-14-2013),remdog (08-15-2013),Wonderful Monds (08-14-2013)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    They should be in the SAME ROOM.
    And with that collaboration, that is how baseball came to be played on ice skates.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    It's still possible it could be in place by next season.
    http://deadspin.com/mlb-set-to-consi...ery-1137610450
    And apparently MLB is even considering implementing instant replay for the playoffs this year: http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...r-odd/related/

12. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (08-14-2013)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    And apparently MLB is even considering implementing instant replay for the playoffs this year: http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...r-odd/related/
    Awesome. The sooner the better.

It always bugs me when they talk about about the added time this will take, fully ignoring the time taking by the ridiculous current process and by managers charging on to the field to argue calls anyways. Having a well-design process for resolving close calls will, if anything, save time.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

15. Likes:

757690 (08-14-2013),REDREAD (08-15-2013)

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    Can they figure out how to do this without all the umpires scuttling off to the bowels of the stadium for fifteen minutes?
    I'm guessing you've been in a stadium to witness this. MLB's replay review feels like a horrible momentum-breaker in person, because everything comes to... a... grinding... halt. Fans watching on TV don't get that, because they have endless replays and announcer analysis.
    /r/reds

Count me as against it.

But not baseball.

I hate to disagree with someone who uses a Toshiro Mifune picture as his avatar, but no matter if they had instant replay, robot umps, or what have you, the game would not "die" any more than it did once they started using the limited instant replay that they have now.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I know the umps won't be happy with this, but maybe it'll be an easier pill to swallow if they simply add an ump to each team for manning the replay booth. Makes their union larger and stronger. Have the ump teams rotate from field to booth, also gives them an easy day in the a/c.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I know the umps won't be happy with this, but maybe it'll be an easier pill to swallow if they simply add an ump to each team for manning the replay booth. Makes their union larger and stronger. Have the ump teams rotate from field to booth, also gives them an easy day in the a/c.
    The umpires union will be absolutely thrilled by this. Unions loooove moves that creates more union members.

In this age where people in Outer Mongolia can watch live baseball games if they have an Internet connection, I don't believe it's necessary for a replay ump to be on site. You can have a small crew watching every game from New York or San Jose or a decommissioned missile silo in South Dakota. They can use technology to communicate wirelessly with the crew on the field.
    /r/reds

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Strikes and Balls are still the most important calls made in the game. I won't be happy until they're automated.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

21. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (08-14-2013),Edd Roush (08-15-2013),Unassisted (08-14-2013)

Technology breaks and communications get overloaded and fail. I Wonder how much redundancy the NHL built into their war room and in Arenas?
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Turn Off Ads?